The Official December 2014 Study Group

Colonel_funkadunk

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:21 am

glad u got the lulz movie

MEAhrnsbrak

Postby MEAhrnsbrak » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:35 am

WorldsCollide wrote:Where be all my December early-risers?

I'm here! Finishing breakfast and then time to read and drill reading comp all day! I've got to get my sections down to -4 or less!

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:44 am

MEAhrnsbrak wrote:

I'm here! Finishing breakfast and then time to read and drill reading comp all day! I've got to get my sections down to -4 or less!

Good luck! Let me know what your RC routine is because I do not, for the life of me, know how to improve on RC.

MEAhrnsbrak

Postby MEAhrnsbrak » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:55 am

WorldsCollide wrote:
MEAhrnsbrak wrote:

Good luck! Let me know what your RC routine is because I do not, for the life of me, know how to improve on RC.

I drilled while using the trainer (literally kept the page open about right and wrong answer choices) and that helped boost me a lot. Took me from missing 10 to 15 down to -6 to -8. I've gotten a -4, just not consistently there yet. The next thing I'm going to try when I'm timed drilling sections is to read the passages with the most questions first. Don't know why I hadn't thought about that before, but heard the tip during my BPclass and knew that would help my timing. Other than that, I think it's just drilling over and over and over to get used to the content.

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:10 am

MEAhrnsbrak wrote:
WorldsCollide wrote:
MEAhrnsbrak wrote:

I drilled while using the trainer (literally kept the page open about right and wrong answer choices) and that helped boost me a lot. Took me from missing 10 to 15 down to -6 to -8. I've gotten a -4, just not consistently there yet. The next thing I'm going to try when I'm timed drilling sections is to read the passages with the most questions first. Don't know why I hadn't thought about that before, but heard the tip during my BPclass and knew that would help my timing. Other than that, I think it's just drilling over and over and over to get used to the content.

Would you recommend the trainer considering there are only two months left and I'm drilling LG and LR, too?

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:12 am

Last edited by mist4bison on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:12 am

so didn't get to review my PT from last night cuz of an unexpected mishap :/ and who knows what I'm gunna get in today... bleu, wish I coulda woke up and have everything be diff..

jrdavila09 wrote:Alright guys, now that Alumni Night for my Frat is over for me. I've realized that taking a PT in my condition wouldn't be beneficial to me in any capacity. Bright note, I realized that being in a Frat is very beneficial. Met a fellow alumni who is in his 3rd year at Texas A&M School of Law. He says it's not that bad unless you make it that bad.

its a fraternity bro... you wouldn't call your country a c*nt would you?

Oneplustwoisfour

Postby Oneplustwoisfour » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:27 am

MEAhrnsbrak wrote:
WorldsCollide wrote:
MEAhrnsbrak wrote:

Am stuck at -4-5 per RC section. A big improvement from -10-15 since I used Voyager's RC strategy, but been stuck there for over a week now. Any suggestions on how to improve? I don't see a pattern in the type of questions I missed, and not sure where to go from here. I am not even finishing the sections within 35 mins.

I tried reading sections of passages with most questions first too; its actually very productive. My current strategy, after reading passage, is to briefly read the 6-7 questions, notate about its scale on the side, work on global scale questions first since the passage is still fresh in memory, then specific ones that come from same section that require referring, and then the rest. Just need to make sure its embedded in my RC strategy and not waste too much time reading questions.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:31 am

Oneplustwoisfour wrote:
Am stuck at -4-5 per RC section. A big improvement from -10-15 since I used Voyager's RC strategy, but been stuck there for over a week now. Any suggestions on how to improve? I don't see a pattern in the type of questions I missed, and not sure where to go from here. I am not even finishing the sections within 35 mins.

I tried reading sections of passages with most questions first too; its actually very productive. My current strategy, after reading passage, is to briefly read the 6-7 questions, notate about its scale on the side, work on global scale questions first since the passage is still fresh in memory, then specific ones that come from same section that require referring, and then the rest. Just need to make sure its embedded in my RC strategy and not waste too much time reading questions.

thats some sweet improvement man... and like a pretty interesting strategy although I feel like that would take a lot of extra time but clearly helps the accuracy Id say just keep at it and slowly but surely it'll take less and less time and you'll have the time to fit it all in

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:22 am

8)
Last edited by nlee10 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MEAhrnsbrak

Postby MEAhrnsbrak » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:34 am

WorldsCollide wrote:
MEAhrnsbrak wrote:
WorldsCollide wrote:
MEAhrnsbrak wrote:

Would you recommend the trainer considering there are only two months left and I'm drilling LG and LR, too?

I'm a HUGE fan of the trainer. It is the book that has helped me most, but what I also realized is that different books match different people's learning styles... And that was the trainer for me. I'd suggest going to a bookstore and reading the first chapter. I was instantly hooked by page 2. But if you read and it doesn't resonate, then don't spend the money.

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:50 am

MEAhrnsbrak wrote:
I'm a HUGE fan of the trainer. It is the book that has helped me most, but what I also realized is that different books match different people's learning styles... And that was the trainer for me. I'd suggest going to a bookstore and reading the first chapter. I was instantly hooked by page 2. But if you read and it doesn't resonate, then don't spend the money.

Okay, thanks. I'm just afraid I won't have the time to do the trainer properly (or go to a bookstore to look :P ).

Those are such great improvement, you guys! Congrats! I wish I could improve the same way!

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:00 am

Last edited by downbeat14 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:07 am

8)
Last edited by nlee10 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:18 am

Hey All,

May or may not be joining you all in December, but i'm not studying until the 14th of Oct.
Just a quick check in =)

currently PT'ing in the low 160's, have gotten as high as a 165.

My breakdown goes something along the lines off

LR - 8 combined
RC - 3/4
LG - -5-7

Need to completely fix LG, because once I get that, i'll be a lot closer to 170.

Oneplustwoisfour

Postby Oneplustwoisfour » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:23 am

nlee10 wrote:wow. Both of you guys made huge improvements in RC. I'm still around -10 to -15 in RC. Part of it could be timing, untimed, I can hit -10 to -8. sighhh.

Whats your strategy/approach right now?

This is how I improved: I read the different approaches out there from different books and ones recommended on TLS. Then tried most approaches, and refined it to my abilities. English is not my first language, so I had to get creative. In the midst, I approached each paragraphs like I would for a Main Point/Conclusion Question type in LR, which gives ~4-6 main points for the whole passage that are enough to understand the structure of the passage. It once hit me, like an apple on the head, that all the answers for RC section are right there!! in the passage. Now, my strategy is a combination of Voyager's RC Strategy and Trainer's approach, I just need to figure out how to reach -0.

I would recommend checking out Voyager strategy, he does a great job in breakdown the core essentials of RC, down to basics first. Here is the link http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... f=6&t=7240

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:26 am

8)
Last edited by nlee10 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:39 am

Thanks for all the RC advise, everyone!

I do annotate and underline, etc. But I'll definitely check out at least one of the resources you guys recommended.

ETA:

Is this the trainer everyone's talking about?
http://www.amazon.com/The-LSAT-Trainer- ... on+trainer

MEAhrnsbrak

Postby MEAhrnsbrak » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:48 am

WorldsCollide wrote:Thanks for all the RC advise, everyone!

I do annotate and underline, etc. But I'll definitely check out at least one of the resources you guys recommended.

ETA:

Is this the trainer everyone's talking about?
http://www.amazon.com/The-LSAT-Trainer- ... on+trainer

Yup! That's the one!

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:34 pm

Dammit I thought maybe there was one RC Trainer and that's it :P

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:38 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:52 pm

Dirigo wrote:
MEAhrnsbrak wrote:I drilled while using the trainer (literally kept the page open about right and wrong answer choices) and that helped boost me a lot. Took me from missing 10 to 15 down to -6 to -8. I've gotten a -4, just not consistently there yet. The next thing I'm going to try when I'm timed drilling sections is to read the passages with the most questions first. Don't know why I hadn't thought about that before, but heard the tip during my BPclass and knew that would help my timing. Other than that, I think it's just drilling over and over and over to get used to the content.

Dang! Such an awesome improvement! Congrats!
I may try that leaving the trainer out to pinpoint wrong answers when I drill RC.

And I've definitely heard a lot of great test takers skip to the densest passages first (the ones with the most questions) because your brain is fresher. I've started incorporating that strategy. Just make sure you bubble correctly!

Wait... they SKIP the one with the most questions? That sounds counterintuitive. If there is one passage you'd want to focus on, it'd be the one with the most questions, no?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:53 pm

Last edited by Rigo on Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:13 pm

Dirigo wrote:
WorldsCollide wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
MEAhrnsbrak wrote:I drilled while using the trainer (literally kept the page open about right and wrong answer choices) and that helped boost me a lot. Took me from missing 10 to 15 down to -6 to -8. I've gotten a -4, just not consistently there yet. The next thing I'm going to try when I'm timed drilling sections is to read the passages with the most questions first. Don't know why I hadn't thought about that before, but heard the tip during my BPclass and knew that would help my timing. Other than that, I think it's just drilling over and over and over to get used to the content.

Dang! Such an awesome improvement! Congrats!
I may try that leaving the trainer out to pinpoint wrong answers when I drill RC.

And I've definitely heard a lot of great test takers skip to the densest passages first (the ones with the most questions) because your brain is fresher. I've started incorporating that strategy. Just make sure you bubble correctly!

Wait... they SKIP the one with the most questions? That sounds counterintuitive. If there is one passage you'd want to focus on, it'd be the one with the most questions, no?

I said to skip to the densest passages first.

I'm sorry... maybe I'm just confused. I assumed the densest passages or the ones with the most questions =\.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:17 pm

Last edited by Rigo on Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”