The Official December 2014 Study Group

fips tedora

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby fips tedora » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:40 pm

Dirigo wrote:
MTH2 wrote:I like the PT schedule, however, there should be a tiered system wherein one day you're doing a test in the 40's and the next is a test in the 70's. The tests get markedly different past the 50's and you should be familiar with them as soon as possible to address any differences. Other than that, I'll probably adopt one similar, except more time for drilling and blind review.

Yeah, I know of the differences and figured I would get the older PTs out of the way first and have the more reflective PTs closer to the actual test. I never considered a tiered system though. Definitely something to think about.

Also, I want to drill and blind review but I figured drilling would be heaviest early on. Because of this, I backloaded my schedule. I wonder if it's too backloaded though. I definitely don't want to feel like I'm prepping insufficiently with PT's since June 2007.

I think it's best to drill throughout so you can intuitively know what to do come test day for each question type in LR, game type in LG, and stay sharp with RC.

Adrian Monk

Postby Adrian Monk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:18 pm

hey guys, anybody here taking the december test for the first time, and still applying this cycle?, im trying to see where everybody is, because im registered for sep, but really really feel dec is when i will really hit my peek, been styding for a while,but a bit of a late bloomer, so many concepts is just starting to click for me now. but im still taking the sep test though, miraculously if i exceed my expectations (highly unlikely, but whatever) then i will be ecstatic but still planning to take dec, only thing im 100 sure is that im applying this cycle. so sending my apps soon after sep score and then informing schools to hold out their dececsion until my dec score is not a terrible idea right? and another good thing to come out of it is that my gpa which is already above median for my target schools, will get even more of a slight bump by jan. any thoughts?

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:58 pm

Dirigo wrote:

nlee10: Good luck & sending good vibes!
Last edited by nlee10 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

MEAhrnsbrak

Postby MEAhrnsbrak » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:50 pm

Checking in. I signed up for my December LSAT today. Currently scoring mid 160's, but hoping to boost over that 170 threshold by December.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:04 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

santoki

Postby santoki » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm

nlee10 wrote:
Dirigo wrote:

nlee10: Good luck & sending good vibes!

Thanks. Reporting in. It's 100 degrees where I'm at today so decided to take PT 44 inside a Starbucks. Excuses aside, it was pretty distracting as the employees as well as other people were making loud conversations. I managed to finish all the sections within time but definitely did not feel as concentrated.

That saying, I only scored a 152 (64 raw). While that is very much mediocre compared to the caliber of this forum, this is still a 3-4 point improvement from my last PT in which I went untimed. My section breakdown looked like:

RC: 17/27
LR: 18/25
LG: 17/22
LR: 12/26
There's no doubt I was failing to stay focused towards the end of the exam.. Going to drill more the next couple weeks and reasses, thanks!

taking an exam at a Starbucks is definitely distracting, but for now it seems like all three sections need some improvement. perhaps you should focus less on finishing all of the sections on time for now and take your time to learn the material before you jump into PTs and essentially "waste" them.

i only say this because im at a point where this is my second retake and i don't have any fresh PTs left :)

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:08 pm

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:11 pm

Last edited by nlee10 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

santoki

Postby santoki » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:12 pm

nlee10 wrote:
santoki wrote:
taking an exam at a Starbucks is definitely distracting, but for now it seems like all three sections need some improvement. perhaps you should focus less on finishing all of the sections on time for now and take your time to learn the material before you jump into PTs and essentially "waste" them.

i only say this because im at a point where this is my second retake and i don't have any fresh PTs left :)

Thanks! I understand about using the precious PT's. I am most definitely going back to drilling over the next couple weeks. I've only drilled flaw assumptions strengthen weaken and ordering games. I'm excited to see what improves I see after I drill the other types.

Btw... Santoki=the song?

haha yup .

and like you said the exciting part is learning everything, seeing how fast you can improve, getting to mid 160s, and then going for the extra boost past 170. may the odds be ever in our favor.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:21 pm

MEAhrnsbrak

Postby MEAhrnsbrak » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:53 pm

Dirigo wrote:
MEAhrnsbrak wrote:Checking in. I signed up for my December LSAT today. Currently scoring mid 160's, but hoping to boost over that 170 threshold by December.

Howdy! I'm currently at the same level and hoping for the same improvement. Sounds easy enough, but the climb definitely gets steeper.

That's what I'm finding! I've gotten a 169, but no 170 yet. 166 and 167 seem to be my typical scores. I'm going to take advantage of the Cambridge packets and hopefully boost my LR scores with lots and lots of drilling and reviewing.

jrdavila09

Postby jrdavila09 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:15 pm

Alright guys! Wish me luck. I'm finally on vacation this week. Im visiting the SMU campus tomorrow morning! Super excited. Picking me up a SMU Law shirt to wear while I'm studying, just for some extra motivation! Plan on doing 2 PT's, blind review, and some heavy heavy drilling!

I'm taking PT 41 in a little less then an hour and PT 42 on Saturday. I personally believe that PT'ing and blind review are our only true way of fully grasping this test, along with drilling! Got 12 weeks of this to go! Wish me luck! Any advice would be helpful!

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:48 pm

jrdavila09 wrote:Alright guys! Wish me luck. I'm finally on vacation this week. Im visiting the SMU campus tomorrow morning! Super excited. Picking me up a SMU Law shirt to wear while I'm studying, just for some extra motivation! Plan on doing 2 PT's, blind review, and some heavy heavy drilling!

I'm taking PT 41 in a little less then an hour and PT 42 on Saturday. I personally believe that PT'ing and blind review are our only true way of fully grasping this test, along with drilling! Got 12 weeks of this to go! Wish me luck! Any advice would be helpful!

Good luck!

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:55 pm

msp8

Postby msp8 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Thanks for the advice, nlee and Dirigo.

This week's schedule:

Tuesday - finishing Manhattan RC; 100 pgs Manhattan LR
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday - back to PTs. Each day do a PT, and do a thorough blind review, then a thorough review.

Will also be getting the packets from Cambridge and commence drilling after this, after getting an update on where my weaknesses are.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:04 pm

splittingheadache

Postby splittingheadache » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:10 pm

Hi everyone! checking in!
I've been lurking for so long and I love that this group is so supportive.

I've delayed this exam far too long: wanted to take it in February, then June, then September, and I'm really hoping to complete it this December. I have been studying on/off since May 27, and pretty rigorously in July and then around the past 3-4 weeks.

Really happy to report that I have LG pretty much down, averaging -0 to -1 per section. If I'm really not on my game, then -2. Timing still needs work, but I went from >45 minutes on some games to now around 8-10 minutes per game. I've had some 4-5 minute games, a couple of <2 minute games. I hope this gives others the motivation to keep on drilling.

RC is really weird for me, it started off as my best section and now it is just up and down. LR is consistently a struggle but I actually haven't read through the books and drilled yet.

What I have: PS Bibles for LG, RC, and LR, Powerscore Drill by Type LG 1-20, The LSAT Trainer, Manhattan LG, RC, and LR, Ace it Logic Games, a couple of the Preptests Books, Superprep, AND CAMBRIDGE BUNDLE (I love them so much). Lots and lots of outside reading for RC: The Economist, The New Yorker, Scientific American, Popular Science, The Atlantic Monthly, etc.

Recently, I've been kind of slacking off. Finally got a chance to spend some time with my family and classes are starting again. In and out games are really taking a lot of time for me again. Need to get my groove back.

If anyone needs any pointers on LG, feel free to ask me here or through PM. Excited to prep with you guys!

zxbn579

Postby zxbn579 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:13 pm

splittingheadache wrote:Hi everyone! checking in!

I've delayed this exam far too long: wanted to take it in February, then June, then September, and I'm really hoping to complete it this December. I have been studying on/off since May 27, and pretty rigorously in July and then around the past 3-4 weeks.

Really happy to report that I have LG pretty much down, averaging -0 to -1 per section. If I'm really not on my game, then -2. Timing still needs work, but I went from >45 minutes on some games to now around 8-10 minutes per game. I've had some 4-5 minute games, a couple of <2 minute games. I hope this gives others the motivation to keep on drilling.

RC is really weird for me, it started off as my best section and now it is just up and down. LR is consistently a struggle but I actually haven't read through the books and drilled yet.

What I have: PS Bibles for LG, RC, and LR, Powerscore Drill by Type LG 1-20, The LSAT Trainer, Manhattan LG, RC, and LR, Ace it Logic Games, a couple of the Preptests Books, Superprep, AND CAMBRIDGE BUNDLE (I love them so much). Lots and lots of outside reading for RC: The Economist, The New Yorker, Scientific American, Popular Science, The Atlantic Monthly, etc.

Recently, I've been kind of slacking off. Finally got a chance to spend some time with my family and classes are starting again. In and out games are really taking a lot of time for me again. Need to get my groove back.

If anyone needs any pointers on LG, feel free to ask me here or through PM. Excited to prep with you guys!

Hi there and welcome to the group! I was wondering, how did you find the Ace It Logic Games book? I also have it but have only looked at the first lesson.

Adrian Monk

Postby Adrian Monk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:27 pm

applying this cycle?

splittingheadache

Postby splittingheadache » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:40 pm

parkcity wrote:

Hi there and welcome to the group! I was wondering, how did you find the Ace It Logic Games book? I also have it but have only looked at the first lesson.

Thank you!

Okay so tbh, Ace It is still sitting on the ground gathering dust. I planned to not open it until October/November and use it solely to refine my techniques. From what I've read, it is really hypo-based and when I flipped through it, it has an entire first section that basically teaches you LG from scratch. the thing is I've already read Powerscore LG, Manhattan LG, and The LSAT Trainer's LG portion and I really prefer the first two. I started simply drilling through Cambridge's 1-38 LG earlier this summer and it was SO ridiculously tough to get through the first round. Then later in the summer, I drilled through them again. I read the books sometime in between the first round and second round of drilling so I had many of the techniques down and just had to use the books for reference on some of the tougher conditional logic areas that I needed to brush up on.

The thing is, my LG timing is slightly taking longer now and I'm making a lot of stupid mistakes like crossing out every answer choice only to realize I didn't even read the entire question stem, or I would number things 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7... A part of me is quite happy that I've drilled enough that harder questions don't stump me, but this arrogance in making the dumbest mistakes has got to stop as well.

I saw some of the diagramming lessons in the Ace It book and I haven't read through their explanations or methodology, but just aesthetically speaking, it looks really complicated and mechanical (can't find a better word to describe it). I could be biased though. Do you feel that it could possibly be quite frustrating to work with their diagramming after being so familiar with your own diagramming style or with the diagramming techniques of PS and MH or even 7sage? Perhaps the first big portion of the book that is instructional could be just skipped and one could just work on the last 14 games?

Anyway, so what I'm trying to say is that I know that when I focus on RC and LR, my LG will not be as sharp as before but the fundamentals should be there and I wanted to use Ace It near the exam to just tie things together. It also has that 14 LG section at the end of the book that are some of the hardest LG apparently so, I wanted to save that until near exam-time. PS and MH and Cambridge really helped me get down to -0, I hope Ace It keeps me at -0 for the test day.

Sorry about such a long-winded answer that basically proves I didn't read through the book either! When I do get a chance to work through it, I hope I can give everyone here a better update of whether or not the book is really useful.

Did you read through powerscore or manhattan or just use 7sage for each question? You know the thing I feel like I really do need to brush up on is the rule equivalent/substitution question. They take me forever and I never have perfect accuracy.

splittingheadache

Postby splittingheadache » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:46 pm

Adrian Monk wrote:

applying this cycle?

Love. Your. Name.

No. This is my first LSAT, so I have to leave room for possible retakes. Plus I have to finish my degree. I remember applying for university, while "trying" to study for the SATs, and finding a decent PS other than "Although I might sound like a special snowflake, let my inflated 17-year-old ego argue that I am actually really deep and insightful," I was going crazy every single day.

:D

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:47 pm

Last edited by Rigo on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:51 pm

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:15 pm

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:39 pm

Last edited by nlee10 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”