The Official December 2014 Study Group

Smallville

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Smallville » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:09 pm

sashafierce wrote:I have been drilling timed LR sections everyday for the past 2 weeks with intense review. Recorded my personal best yesterday -4 on one section (-2 ran out of time, did not guess I just count them as misses and -2 misread words).

Hoping and praying to get to -2 per LR section by the middle of October, if I can achieve that I would feel like a rock star. I have been inactive here lately but I lurk every now and again. Keep on keeping on folks :roll:

Thats awesome! How are you drilling?

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:09 pm

8)
Last edited by nlee10 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrazilBandit

Postby BrazilBandit » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:13 pm

mist4bison wrote:So totally random/weird question for anyone who has taken the actual LSAT before...

What is the booklet like? Is it like actual printer paper? Or is it like the waxy type paper in the booklets that test masters has?

Super random, but I have something called hyperacusis (some ordinary sounds are intensified so that they become painfully loud) and because of it I hate using pencils on printer paper, but the waxy type paper I can mostly deal with.

The LSAT booklets are on Gray, regular stock paper. If that was my case, I would contact LSAC/Test Center about accommodations.

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:21 pm

nlee10 wrote:
sashafierce wrote:I have been drilling timed LR sections everyday for the past 2 weeks with intense review. Recorded my personal best yesterday -4 on one section (-2 ran out of time, did not guess I just count them as misses and -2 misread words).

Hoping and praying to get to -2 per LR section by the middle of October, if I can achieve that I would feel like a rock star. I have been inactive here lately but I lurk every now and again. Keep on keeping on folks :roll:

Awesome work! If I may ask, what were you typically getting on LR prior to drilling?

-6 to -7 per section with an average of -12 to -13 total. I am still not there yet, this maybe a step in the right direction or just luck but I'm happy nonetheless. (Don't want to jink it :oops:)

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:32 pm

8)
Last edited by nlee10 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:36 pm

Jgoods wrote:Thats awesome! How are you drilling?

I haven't repeated that performance yet so I not going to pretend that I'm a LR expert but I have been doing two things differently:
1. I skip any parallel questions, I'm hoping to have the time to get to them one day but I'm not there yet
2. If I down too two answer choices, I circle the question move on then answer 2 or 3 questions then I go back to the question re read the stimulus and then eliminate an answer choice. I realize that sometimes i just need to take a break and then come back to a question. One day I was drilling a section timed and decided to skip all of the questions that I was 50/50 on. I marked them as wrong and then immediately re read the stimulus and chose an answer choice, I got all right. That made me realize that sometimes I just need to let those questions go then come back to it with fresh eyes. HTH, wish me luck guys LR is my worst section.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:47 pm

sashafierce wrote:
Jgoods wrote:Thats awesome! How are you drilling?

I haven't repeated that performance yet so I not going to pretend that I'm a LR expert but I have been doing two things differently:
1. I skip any parallel questions, I'm hoping to have the time to get to them one day but I'm not there yet
2. If I down too two answer choices, I circle the question move on then answer 2 or 3 questions then I go back to the question re read the stimulus and then eliminate an answer choice. I realize that sometimes i just need to take a break and then come back to a question. One day I was drilling a section timed and decided to skip all of the questions that I was 50/50 on. I marked them as wrong and then immediately re read the stimulus and chose an answer choice, I got all right. That made me realize that sometimes I just need to let those questions go then come back to it with fresh eyes. HTH, wish me luck guys LR is my worst section.

That is deff the case often. that's why blind review can be so helpful, looking at questions a second time helps it click... though to do that within the 35 minutes would get a little tricky (if you want to answer all the questions anyways lol) but can def help get a grasp on the questions and patterns themselves

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:05 pm

Jgoods wrote:That is deff the case often. that's why blind review can be so helpful, looking at questions a second time helps it click... though to do that within the 35 minutes would get a little tricky (if you want to answer all the questions anyways lol) but can def help get a grasp on the questions and patterns themselves

Yeah, that's why I move on to 2-3 questions then come back to it. If I leave it for the end I would never have time. Also, I just realized that I did not answer your question. I have been drilling the usual TLS way-->read chapter in Trainer or MLSAT LR book then drill Cambridge, that's the best way imo. I am drilling timed sections now with review and re- reading + re drilling as needed.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:15 pm

hey guys so I'm in another study-group thing and figured I'd be a slight link with general suggestions and such. One thing which I find a little interesting and does make a little sense is to shoot more for 95%right or around 170+ untimed before going after timed pt... which may seem odd but I can see it being nice cuz the more important part is accuracy --> then speed, rather speed--> then accuracy... thoughts?

also, take your goal score.... and add 5, you can do it :)

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:27 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:34 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:36 pm

mist4bison wrote:So I'm still a bit peeved about my score on my diag and as such decided to Google "lsat pt 62 how hard" and up pops a TLS thread about how it was very tricky with a -14 curve. That actually makes me feel a lot better. I mean, technically the curve makes up for it...but I still feel better knowing that it was a particularly difficult PT. My 159 doesn't seem as bad.

In other news...I have my first actual TM lesson tomorrow! Woot. The instructor isn't attractive and there didn't seem to be any attractive guys in the class on Monday, so I don't think there will be any distractions! :D

made me giggle :P lol GL I hope it goes great!

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:37 pm

8)

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:38 pm

8)

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:48 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:55 pm

mist4bison wrote:
Jgoods wrote:
mist4bison wrote:So I'm still a bit peeved about my score on my diag and as such decided to Google "lsat pt 62 how hard" and up pops a TLS thread about how it was very tricky with a -14 curve. That actually makes me feel a lot better. I mean, technically the curve makes up for it...but I still feel better knowing that it was a particularly difficult PT. My 159 doesn't seem as bad.

In other news...I have my first actual TM lesson tomorrow! Woot. The instructor isn't attractive and there didn't seem to be any attractive guys in the class on Monday, so I don't think there will be any distractions! :D

made me giggle :P lol GL I hope it goes great!

Don't worry, despite lack of distractions I definitely still chose to postpone wearing a super cute outfit today and use it tomorrow instead. Things will go great on the off-chance a new (attractive) man shows up :wink:

lmao fair enough :p though hope not... gotta get your focus on... not ur flirt :P

Oskosh

Postby Oskosh » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:57 pm

Won't study for this until I have received my scores from the September administration. ^_____^

GL guys

jrdavila09

Postby jrdavila09 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:09 pm

If anyone can explain why C and not B is the answer to question 3 section 1 of PT 29, that would be awesome. Its also question 14 in the Cambridge LR 21-40 book of the strengthen questions.

jrdavila09

Postby jrdavila09 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:11 pm

nlee10 wrote:

My next BP timed exam is PT 62 in about a month. I look forward to a -14 curve....

After going through my first class yesterday, I have concluded my instructor and classmates are alcoholics. The topic of alcohol comes up every few minutes. :lol: :lol:

Alcoholism will be my cure to this LSAT disease once December 6 is behind me!

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:21 pm

Cant forget the spoiler alert bro!! PT29

jrdavila09 wrote:If anyone can explain why C and not B is the answer to question 3 section 1 of PT 29, that would be awesome. Its also question 14 in the Cambridge LR 21-40 book of the strengthen questions.

The question is what will not strengthen the argument (that gasohol should be used over gasoline) well C does not strengthen the argument at all... Cars using gasohol burn up more gasohol than gasoline... why should we use gasohol if you need to use more of it than gasoline??

AC B does strengthen it. If you were to use gasohol more often, you would then use less gasoline. Because people use less gasoline then we are less likely to run out or low on the supply of gasoline

I know I'm not the best with explaining but does that help at all?

jrdavila09

Postby jrdavila09 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:38 pm

Jgoods wrote:Cant forget the spoiler alert bro!! PT29

jrdavila09 wrote:If anyone can explain why C and not B is the answer to question 3 section 1 of PT 29, that would be awesome. Its also question 14 in the Cambridge LR 21-40 book of the strengthen questions.

The question is what will not strengthen the argument (that gasohol should be used over gasoline) well C does not strengthen the argument at all... Cars using gasohol burn up more gasohol than gasoline... why should we use gasohol if you need to use more of it than gasoline??

AC B does strengthen it. If you were to use gasohol more often, you would then use less gasoline. Because people use less gasoline then we are less likely to run out or low on the supply of gasoline

Sorry, I forgot the spoiler bit!

I see what your saying, I juts had to read the answer choices over and over again until it clicked what it was telling me then I understood.

Not to bad! Missed 5 of 20 on strengthen questions and I as working through these thinking I sucked at them!

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:51 pm

8)

jrdavila09

Postby jrdavila09 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:37 pm

nlee10 wrote:
Jgoods wrote:Cant forget the spoiler alert bro!! PT29

Well said!

This is a Strengthen EXCEPT. So four of the answer choices strengthens and one does not.

Yeah, like I said, I just didn't understand what answer choice B was telling me until I read it over and over again. Especially after this explanation. I hate reading the MLR explanations sometimes, they just get into WAY to much detail. I need the simple stuff. Hahaha.

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:55 pm

mist4bison wrote:
peppermint wrote:Yes, plz do! I love puppies!
\

Ok, good. I'm glad someone said yes :D Here's one from when he was like 3 months:

OMG! She's so cute!!!!!!

I kind of want to post photos of Natasha now :P (my dog).

Guys seriously... I've been doing German homework for the past seven hours. And I literally wanted to do LSAT drilling instead.

La2Fl

Postby La2Fl » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:33 am

mist4bison

just took my first timed PT 62
(2nd ever (1st was a couple days ago. every answer i did i looked at the explanation even if it was right. 6 hrs lol)
and i literally could only finished half the test!! :( seriously only 68/129.. i put D answers for what i couldnt get to and it helped me w 12 percentile pt

of course i'm still studying the LR concepts and havent gotten to RC..
bright side: the questions i did get to in LG were -2 (i studied those for two months now)

my score was a 146
not totally bummed; just know I have a lot of work ahead.. Totally ready!! any advice helps

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”