The Official December 2014 Study Group

should-i-do-it

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby should-i-do-it » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:43 pm

Just postponed Sept test till December, hoping for 170+ Any suggestions on a 3month study schedule (I'm retaking)

msp8

Postby msp8 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:15 am

Lacoste wrote:
I really like your strategy for prepping. I remember your original post about the materials and have to say that they are great!

I can see that your doing the blind review which is a must. This is something I did not know until I began to visit these forums. Nothings disappointing about your score. Keep your head up we're all in this together man :)

Thanks a lot. We'll see -- I'm mostly just frustrated by time. I mean, running out of time @ Q 18-19 in LR/RC ... that's highly problematic. :)

I'm going to do another PT tomorrow and will see how time works out then.

How are your studies coming along?

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:08 am

Last edited by nlee10 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

msp8

Postby msp8 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:14 am

Good job, nlee! That sounds like a great approach. Though, with that approach, I can only imagine you could do more than 165... (mind you, that's a good score, but we're still 3 months out and that's a great position that you've set up for yourself).

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:04 am

Last edited by nlee10 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lacoste

Postby Lacoste » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:31 am

msp8 wrote:
Lacoste wrote:
I really like your strategy for prepping. I remember your original post about the materials and have to say that they are great!

I can see that your doing the blind review which is a must. This is something I did not know until I began to visit these forums. Nothings disappointing about your score. Keep your head up we're all in this together man :)

Thanks a lot. We'll see -- I'm mostly just frustrated by time. I mean, running out of time @ Q 18-19 in LR/RC ... that's highly problematic. :)

I'm going to do another PT tomorrow and will see how time works out then.

How are your studies coming along?

I honestly haven't been doing much studying (I know, I probably should be putting in countless amounts), but I've just lost the motivation. Today i'll motivate myself to put in a few hours of drilling. I'm probably going to drill some RC sections. Need to continue reading Manhattan books, especially the RC which I haven't started. Heard that worked miracles for some in the September thread. Also, I'll be in Chicago this Saturday for LSAC's Law Forum. If anyone who is taking the December LSAT will be there, I'd be happy to meet up.

Also, I've noticed a lot of people asking about Skype study. I've looked into it if anyone wants to try it I can try to work something out, although I don't know how we would plan everything. I'd welcome any ideas that you guys might have for a virtual study group.

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:33 am

Anyone else working full time and studying

santoki

Postby santoki » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:44 am

withoutapaddle wrote:Anyone else working full time and studying

i am. having to balance work, studies, and a significant other is not a fun time...

on that note, took PT58 on monday and reviewed it last night:

PT58:
LR1: -1
RC: -5
LG: -2 :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
LR2: -3
Overall: -11, 170

I've taken this exam before sometime, but I dont remember when. so the score isnt completely reflective of my abilities, but going over it i made around 6-7 mistakes that i could have EASILY avoided if my mind were a little more sharp at the time.

going forward ive taken every test already so my scores will be a bit inflated, but there is much learning to be had in the review process.

jrdavila09

Postby jrdavila09 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:54 am

withoutapaddle wrote:Anyone else working full time and studying

That's me! I work in concrete as an Area Credit Manager and work days can be anywhere from 9-10 hours plus work events if needed. Its hard to study and work full time. Especially last week where I only got 10-12 hours in! Last thing I want to do is come home and crack open the books but you just have to!

I'm the first person with a degree in my family, so I already accomplished what my folks wanted for me in life! I have a decent job with great benefits and a nice yearly bonus, but for me, personally, it isn't enough. Being a lawyer and sacrificing what I already have is worth it. Its my dream. So if that means 1-2 hours of less sleep a day for the next 3 months, then so be it! I will sleep in my sky rise condo overlooking downtown Dallas when I'm a senior partner at a top firm! Just got to look at yourself inside and out and determine if this is for you! I'm taking my last days of vacation next week to study, study and more studying. Its only 3 months of intense prep vs. the rest of your life asking yourself "what if?" Just dig deep within yourself, put in a 100% effort in your studying and you will not be disappointed. As long as you give 100% on test day and you know you gave 100% in your studying, you'll walk out that test center feeling like a BOSS, whether you made a 150 or a 180 (hopefully its the latter!)

tanes25

Postby tanes25 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:53 am

So I put down my books a long time ago. Hard trying to pick up everything again. I've only been putting in a few hrs a day lately, just trying to get back in the swing of studying. I've only been doing LG because it's the only section at this time that does not have me mad bored. I have absolutely no motivation at this time! I stopped logging in here so time ago as well. Maybe I'll start logging on more frequently just to get back in LSAT mode. Anybody having a similar issue? Any suggestions? I know it all depends on me but what helps you guys "just do it?"

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:03 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:08 pm

That's me! I work in concrete as an Area Credit Manager and work days can be anywhere from 9-10 hours plus work events if needed. Its hard to study and work full time. Especially last week where I only got 10-12 hours in! Last thing I want to do is come home and crack open the books but you just have to!

I'm the first person with a degree in my family, so I already accomplished what my folks wanted for me in life! I have a decent job with great benefits and a nice yearly bonus, but for me, personally, it isn't enough. Being a lawyer and sacrificing what I already have is worth it. Its my dream. So if that means 1-2 hours of less sleep a day for the next 3 months, then so be it! I will sleep in my sky rise condo overlooking downtown Dallas when I'm a senior partner at a top firm! Just got to look at yourself inside and out and determine if this is for you! I'm taking my last days of vacation next week to study, study and more studying. Its only 3 months of intense prep vs. the rest of your life asking yourself "what if?" Just dig deep within yourself, put in a 100% effort in your studying and you will not be disappointed. As long as you give 100% on test day and you know you gave 100% in your studying, you'll walk out that test center feeling like a BOSS, whether you made a 150 or a 180 (hopefully its the latter!)

I'm currently working at an investment bank. I hope I do well enough to ED Cornell. I really want to do their JD/MBA program.

Studying for the LSAT working full time is difficult. Especially RC.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:13 pm

Last edited by nlee10 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:06 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:11 pm

Last edited by nlee10 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:41 pm

Checking in...been dealing with some tension headaches for the past 3days hoping to get back on my feet in a day or two. Good Luck everyone.

jrdavila09

Postby jrdavila09 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:11 am

withoutapaddle wrote:

I'm currently working at an investment bank. I hope I do well enough to ED Cornell. I really want to do their JD/MBA program.

Studying for the LSAT working full time is difficult. Especially RC.

I hear you man! My good friend nlee10 has a great way to incorporate RC into your studying. Just incorporate 1 RC passage and blind review it at the end of each study session. What I'm doing now is M and Wed, LR drills/1 RC passage then T and Th LG drills/1 RC passage then PT on Saturday with Blind Review on Sunday (either before or after watching football! Hahaha)

We got this mam! You'll do great. Just keep your eye on the prize. If you have any questions hit me up anytime.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:20 am

Last edited by nlee10 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:22 am

nightcheese

Postby nightcheese » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:07 am

I haven't checked in for a long time. I recently got a promotion and I've been training for my new job. I haven't studied in weeks because I've had neither the time nor energy for it. I might still take the LSAT or apply to law school in the future, but it's not going to be anytime soon, and the LSAT is definitely not happening for me in December. I might be dropping out, but I can still be your cheerleader. Good luck in December, everybody! :D

JDman

Postby JDman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:31 pm

Anyone going to Chicago LSAC Forum at Palmer House Hilton?
I have been studying for LSAT on and off now but really need to buckle down and get in the zone of things. I don't understand all this "I'm on PT57, 58, 59" lingo. Does it matter what practice tests you do first, second, last?

I have Powerscore LG Bible and Manhattan Prep LR/RC. On page 140ish for Bible, 50ish for Manhattan LR, and I haven't even cracked open Manhattan RC. Have only taken one diagnostic and it was a total utter dismal failure, so bad I won't even share the score.

Any tips on how to get on a smooth consistent track to studying? Techniques? If you're down to meet up at Palmer House this Saturday, shoot me a PM--possibly exchange numbers. Help a brother out here!

Lacoste

Postby Lacoste » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:01 pm

JDman wrote:Anyone going to Chicago LSAC Forum at Palmer House Hilton?
I have been studying for LSAT on and off now but really need to buckle down and get in the zone of things. I don't understand all this "I'm on PT57, 58, 59" lingo. Does it matter what practice tests you do first, second, last?

I have Powerscore LG Bible and Manhattan Prep LR/RC. On page 140ish for Bible, 50ish for Manhattan LR, and I haven't even cracked open Manhattan RC. Have only taken one diagnostic and it was a total utter dismal failure, so bad I won't even share the score.

Any tips on how to get on a smooth consistent track to studying? Techniques? If you're down to meet up at Palmer House this Saturday, shoot me a PM--possibly exchange numbers. Help a brother out here!

Ill be in Chicago this weekend for the Law School Forum.

What are you having troubles with in terms of prepping?

jrdavila09

Postby jrdavila09 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:55 pm

NA questions are kicking my ass! I'm just not getting them. Ive read the MLSAT and the Trainer and I'm just not understanding!! I dont know why I'm not understanding though. Are that hard or am I just overlooking something? Please help!

Lacoste

Postby Lacoste » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:24 pm

jrdavila09 wrote:NA questions are kicking my ass! I'm just not getting them. Ive read the MLSAT and the Trainer and I'm just not understanding!! I dont know why I'm not understanding though. Are that hard or am I just overlooking something? Please help!

Personal experience, I think it just takes time. I still find these assumptions difficult to pick out among the answer choices. Frustrating it is, but just keep on drilling. Review the right answers and the wrong answers. Make sure you understand it. For the most part, after reviewing those types of questions, the assumption makes sense. Also, I believe the MLSAT also discusses how the test makers create wrong answer traps (or maybe that was PS). Review that as well. For me, the question types that I have the least problems with are those that are abstract in nature (parallel, principle, main point). It's continuous practice that will benefit your understanding of the question type. Maybe those more experienced test takers can chime in. Don't give up and keep pushing forward.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:31 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”