The Official December 2014 Study Group

hotpinkpumas

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby hotpinkpumas » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:57 am

Had intended to take the September test but planning to take it in December instead since I haven't even started PT'ing yet. Probably Need another two weeks to finish the content and drill the materials that I have. I'm working in LG right now and I'm seeing slow but good improvements! Let's do this together!

InPursuitOfaPassion

Postby InPursuitOfaPassion » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:30 pm

Someone wrote that they had planned for September but opting for December because they havent started practice testing yet. I just wanted to say, Im riding a similar boat! I thought 10 tests this month would be enough after all of the practice Ive done but ive realized that, even if endurance isnt an issue, the full length tests are useful for confidence. Taking only a few of them put my mind into a panick because it makes me feel as though I dont know where I really stand due to too small of a sample. A lot of tests should fix that while helping improve skills (assuming I do well). So far my testing has been Diagnostic (no prior studying) 151 followed by 164 (felt good-clear mind etc), 158 (I barely tried and was tired. Literally abandonned two reading passages), 159 (tired again...causing me to become easily confused by tricky wording). Im hoping to improve my sleep so that my state of mind will be better. Heres to 26 or more full length tests!

My goal is a 165+
Good luck everyone!

Lacoste

Postby Lacoste » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:45 pm

Consensus seems to be: buy MLSAT/Trainer, read and do drills, take a practice test or two to see where your weaknesses lie, buy Cambridge packets 1-38 and drill baby drill.

I'm not doing this, but I wish I did. :(

Thanks to the September thread

msp8

Postby msp8 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:19 pm

So I'm checking in here.

Today I'm going to firm up my day by day study schedule. I've read the Powerscore Bibles. I have the Manhattan books (not read yet), and all the PTs.

My general plan:

• Step 1: Take 2-3 more PTs (pre-PT 39) just to get a feel and iron out particularly problematic areas (question type, and/or whether I have timing issues still)
  • Step 1a: Blind review thoroughly. Understand the mechanics of each question type. Understand why I struggled or took longer than I ought to have. Aim to get 180 on the BR process.
  • Step 1b: Review thoroughly. Check answers, and understand any mistake made. Watch 7sage videos, read Manhattan forums to get an outside perspective on those Qs.
  • Step 1c: Review my notes on question types that I'm still struggling with, found in above steps. For example, with Necessary Assumption questions, re-write other LR questions to have them follow the Necessary Assumption question type and 'build out' new question types, thus cementing my knowledge of how these questions work mechanically.

• Step 2: Get the Cambridge packets and drill problem areas discovered in Steps 1(a-c)
  • Step 3: Start reading Manhattan, and then re-drill question types of the same type as the chapter I read, and aim to get through the books quickly (no time line set yet, but the entirety of the books shouldn't take more than 2 weeks)
  • Step 4: Repeat Step 1. If still problems with time or specific problems, repeat Step 2 and then Step 3, reviewing notes from Bibles + Manhattan, and determine if another prep book would be at all useful (if so, determine whether LSATTrainer would be too similar to Manhattan? Or Blueprint? Depends where my weaknesses are at that stage).

Timeline:
Step 1 should be done in the next ~5 days (depending on whether I deem it useful to do 2 or 3 PTs).
Step 2: ~3-4 days (depending on how many problem areas I have, and how deep my problems are with particular question types. In all likelihood, I'll delve into reviews on these as thoroughly as I did in Step 1, so may be longer than ~3-4 days)
Step 3: ~2 weeks

Rough outline of a schedule. Would appreciate any feedback.

Lacoste

Postby Lacoste » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:27 pm

msp8 wrote:So I'm checking in here.

Today I'm going to firm up my day by day study schedule. I've read the Powerscore Bibles. I have the Manhattan books (not read yet), and all the PTs.

My general plan:

• Step 1: Take 2-3 more PTs (pre-PT 39) just to get a feel and iron out particularly problematic areas (question type, and/or whether I have timing issues still)
  • Step 1a: Blind review thoroughly. Understand the mechanics of each question type. Understand why I struggled or took longer than I ought to have. Aim to get 180 on the BR process.
  • Step 1b: Review thoroughly. Check answers, and understand any mistake made. Watch 7sage videos, read Manhattan forums to get an outside perspective on those Qs.
  • Step 1c: Review my notes on question types that I'm still struggling with, found in above steps. For example, with Necessary Assumption questions, re-write other LR questions to have them follow the Necessary Assumption question type and 'build out' new question types, thus cementing my knowledge of how these questions work mechanically.

• Step 2: Get the Cambridge packets and drill problem areas discovered in Steps 1(a-c)
  • Step 3: Start reading Manhattan, and then re-drill question types of the same type as the chapter I read, and aim to get through the books quickly (no time line set yet, but the entirety of the books shouldn't take more than 2 weeks)
  • Step 4: Repeat Step 1. If still problems with time or specific problems, repeat Step 2 and then Step 3, reviewing notes from Bibles + Manhattan, and determine if another prep book would be at all useful (if so, determine whether LSATTrainer would be too similar to Manhattan? Or Blueprint? Depends where my weaknesses are at that stage).

Timeline:
Step 1 should be done in the next ~5 days (depending on whether I deem it useful to do 2 or 3 PTs).
Step 2: ~3-4 days (depending on how many problem areas I have, and how deep my problems are with particular question types. In all likelihood, I'll delve into reviews on these as thoroughly as I did in Step 1, so may be longer than ~3-4 days)
Step 3: ~2 weeks

Rough outline of a schedule. Would appreciate any feedback.

Great schedule, however, to me it would seem that you would need a longer time to get through the Manhattan books (at least for me this is the case). I don't know your diagnostic or anything, but the plan you set out is really good.

Good luck, keep us updated on how it goes, especially what helped and didn't help from both LB and Manhattan

msp8

Postby msp8 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:39 pm

Thanks.

I might spend more time on Manhattan. Will see.

I didn't really take a true diagnostic. After I read a good chunk of the Bibles, I scored a 156 timed (untimed, 170).

How's your plan shaping up?

Lacoste

Postby Lacoste » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:49 pm

^

So-so. I am going to need a lot of work. I've been drilling mostly with an occasional PT here and there. I am trying to understand the fundamentals better. I started reading the Manhattan LR book after enrolling in a PS class.

msp8

Postby msp8 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:59 pm

Are you using Cambridge packets to drill with?

Let me know if you want to discuss any question types. Sometimes I find it helpful to discuss fundamentals in order to internalise them!

Lacoste

Postby Lacoste » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:18 pm

msp8 wrote:Are you using Cambridge packets to drill with?

Let me know if you want to discuss any question types. Sometimes I find it helpful to discuss fundamentals in order to internalise them!

Awesome. Would you prefer to do it over the forum or through Skype?

zxbn579

Postby zxbn579 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:26 pm

Lacoste wrote:

Can I join your study group if you're skyping? (sorry to be an impostor, I'm just getting lonely with just my books)

Lacoste

Postby Lacoste » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:18 pm

parkcity wrote:
Lacoste wrote:

Can I join your study group if you're skyping? (sorry to be an impostor, I'm just getting lonely with just my books)

Certainly. We can work out a schedule that works best for all of us.

BTW, officially 3 months until our test.

msp8

Postby msp8 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:41 pm

I'm good with either the forum or skype, whichever you prefer.

Iverson23

Postby Iverson23 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:03 pm

Bitched out on the September, trying to go all out for DEC. lets facking go
Just finished all the bibles boutta hop into some PTs come monday
treating this shit like a day job T14 or bust baby

zxbn579

Postby zxbn579 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:29 pm

Iverson23 wrote:Bitched out on the September, trying to go all out for DEC. lets facking go
Just finished all the bibles boutta hop into some PTs come monday
treating this shit like a day job T14 or bust baby

Love the enthusiasm! Let's synchronize and keep updating each other on progress, guys.

jrdavila09

Postby jrdavila09 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:47 pm

I'm in on this study group if that's possible! I like reading but this LSAT reading stuff is starting to get boring. I have the Cambridge packet for LR, MLSAT LR, the Trainer, and all the PT's. Its 160+ or bust for me.

Ive already the PSB, Majority of the Trainer and just started the MLSAT.

Lacoste

Postby Lacoste » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:16 pm

jrdavila09 wrote:I'm in on this study group if that's possible! I like reading but this LSAT reading stuff is starting to get boring. I have the Cambridge packet for LR, MLSAT LR, the Trainer, and all the PT's. Its 160+ or bust for me.

Ive already the PSB, Majority of the Trainer and just started the MLSAT.

Let me know how MLSAT goes and if you like it better then the PSB on LR. I like the way MLSAT breaks down each question.

btw, Im still having trouble in all three sections, but LG especially. Would it be wise to just keep on drilling as many games as possible or do one game as many times as possible until its drilled in your brain? I've been employing the former method with hopes that I will eventually get really good at them, but I've come short when I attempt to do it on my own without looking at explanations.

msp8

Postby msp8 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:29 pm

What sort of trouble are you having? I don't think it's wise to keep drilling, but more info is needed here. Are you having trouble with time, or certain question types?

Are you doing PT sections as a whole, or drills from Cambridge?

What I've understood from others, and what I've found to be useful, is to spend far more time on blind review than anything else.

santoki

Postby santoki » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:56 pm

getting tripped up negating answer choices sometimes...can you guys give me your negations of the following?

1. no business can survive without changing its core corporate philosophy.
2. a business cannot change its core corporate philosophy without becoming a different corporation.

what are the general guidelines for these choices with multiple things that can be negated? thanks a bunch :D

luluc

Postby luluc » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:47 pm

santoki wrote:getting tripped up negating answer choices sometimes...can you guys give me your negations of the following?

1. no business can survive without changing its core corporate philosophy.
2. a business cannot change its core corporate philosophy without becoming a different corporation.

what are the general guidelines for these choices with multiple things that can be negated? thanks a bunch :D

My takes are:

In the world of binary cut, conditional statements necessitate universal relationships exemplified by "all," so I revised sentences with relationships that necessitate at least one or more examples that would contradict with the original universal world.
1. Some business can survive without changing its core corporate philosophy.
2. Some business can change its core corporate philosophy without becoming a different corporation.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:02 am

Hey, December thread!

--ImageRemoved--

SEPTEMBER THREAD POWER.

*runs away*

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:19 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:Hey, December thread!

--ImageRemoved--

SEPTEMBER THREAD POWER.

*runs away*

msp8

Postby msp8 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:37 pm

Took PT 33.

Well, did incredibly poorly on RC. And still ran out of time on both LR sections. That made it rough.

I completed only 19 questions on RC. So that alone puts me in a -9 hole. Then in the first passage, I misread a bunch of the questions. Nasty for me -- particularly since I found that passage an easy read. Then the Science one later killed me, time-wise.

On LG, I went -1.

LR, I ran out of time. Got to Q 18-19 both times.

After Blind Review, because I still did poorly on RC, I scored only 166. That's pretty disappointing, but I've reviewed RC thoroughly and have a good feel for my mistakes.

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:40 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Hey, December thread!

funnypic.jpg

SEPTEMBER THREAD POWER.

*runs away*

underappreciated gem

Lacoste

Postby Lacoste » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:31 pm

msp8 wrote:Took PT 33.

Well, did incredibly poorly on RC. And still ran out of time on both LR sections. That made it rough.

I completed only 19 questions on RC. So that alone puts me in a -9 hole. Then in the first passage, I misread a bunch of the questions. Nasty for me -- particularly since I found that passage an easy read. Then the Science one later killed me, time-wise.

On LG, I went -1.

LR, I ran out of time. Got to Q 18-19 both times.

After Blind Review, because I still did poorly on RC, I scored only 166. That's pretty disappointing, but I've reviewed RC thoroughly and have a good feel for my mistakes.

I really like your strategy for prepping. I remember your original post about the materials and have to say that they are great!

I can see that your doing the blind review which is a must. This is something I did not know until I began to visit these forums. Nothings disappointing about your score. Keep your head up we're all in this together man :)

jrdavila09

Postby jrdavila09 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:09 pm

Just checking in! Last week was a horrible week to study. Between work, wedding planning with vendors, and sporting/work events, my study life was just horrendous! Back on it now, started yesterday. Read MLSAT LR MBT section, drilled 20 questions. Missed 8 (Shouldve been 6 but during blind review I changed the right answers to the wrong ones! Need to trust my gut more!) Doing Necessary Assumption questions this after noon. Good thing is I took a weeks vacation all next week to get back on track! Planning on taking 3 PT's with blind review during that time and reading/drilling like mad man! Told the fiance to leave me the hell alone about wedding stuff because if she wants a successful life after marriage, this shit is more important!

Any advice is welcomed as usual! Want to go over answers together by skype let me know! I'm down for whatever!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”