The Official December 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Rigo

Diamond

The Official December 2014 Study Group

Post by Rigo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:13 pm

After the test, please join The Waiters Thread!
Welcome to the official study group for the December 2014 LSAT!
Feel free to ask questions, share your wisdom, or commiserate with fellow preppers!

Test Date: December 6, 2014

If you're just starting out and and not sure where to begin, I recommend you check out the threads stickied at the top of this forum.
Most of us in this thread are self-studying, meaning we are not taking a formal LSAT class. We do, however, each use an assortment of materials. The following materials and companies are highly recommended by users in this forum but are in no way exhaustive of the many great resources available to LSAT takers.
For Starting Out (Covering All Sections)
The LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim ( http://www.thelsattrainer.com/ )
For Logic Games
The Powerscore LSAT Logic Games Bible
7Sage Online LSAT Prep(My personal favorite)
For Logical Reasoning
The Powerscore LSAT Logical Reasoning Bible
Manhattan Logical Reasoning Strategy Guide (My Personal Favorite)
For Reading Comprehension
The Powerscore LSAT Reading Comprehension Bible
Manhattan Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide

So far in this thread, we have been adhering to this to one simple principle:
Yes, it deserves a huge graphic because we give out this advice to new users very frequently. We each individually drill A LOT. You cannot live up to your full LSAT potential unless you work on the areas you are weak in; In order to work on the areas you are weak in, you must drill. That was formal logic. If you don't know what formal logic is, you're a long way from scoring a 180.

Materials For Drilling
Cambridge LSAT Bundles

On their cold diagnostic, people tend to have the most trouble with logic games. To solve them effectively and efficiently, you'll have to learn a new language of sorts (i.e. diagramming). Fortunately, logic games is also the one section where it is easiest to see dramatic improvement.
How to Drill Logic Games
Buy this Cambridge LG Book.
Make multiple copies of each game.
Do a game.
Watch the 7 Sage Explanation for that game.
Get a fresh copy of that game and do it again, incorporating what you learned.
Watch the video again if needed.
Move onto the next game and repeat the process.
Do the games you did again the next day and see if you remember how to set them up and solve them. If not, watch the video again.
It's a tedious process, but you're guaranteed to improve by drilling like this. Similar inferences can be made across all games and you are able to make them correctly and quickly the more experience you get.

For Logical Reasoning Question Explanations
Manhattan Forums
Last edited by Rigo on Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:13 am, edited 8 times in total.

ScrewMick180

New

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Post by ScrewMick180 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:59 am

Almost finished the Trainer, should be done by the end of the week.
Afterwards, I will take my first ever PT (never took a cold diagnostic) to see where I'm at. Anyone have any advice about which PT I should take? I can't take June 2007 since the Trainer used a lot of questions from that specific test, and I don't want to waste a later PT. I'm in a quandary.
And anyone else taking in December 2014 who began studying? Can't imagine I'm the only who started 10 months out. I've seen people on this website study for more than a year.
LET'S KEEP THIS THREAD ACTIVE!!!

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:05 am

Ahhh!! The Decemeber 2014 study group is here! Where has the time gone!

ScrewMick180

New

Post by ScrewMick180 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Almost finished the Powerscore LG Bible. Afterwards, I'll review it again along with drilling the games from the Cambridge Packets.
Is anyone else taking this in December lol? Can't imagine I'm the only guy who started studying 10 months out.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:13 am

ScrewMick180 wrote: Is anyone else taking this in December lol? Can't imagine I'm the only guy who started studying 10 months out.
Most of the people already prepping that will end up being December takers just don't know it yet since they're currently aiming for June or October first as their hopefully only take cuz early admissions and better scholarship $$ opportunities if apply before January. :wink:

Other December takers are surely around, they just don't know they're going to be December takers yet! lol

PS: Why aren't you aiming for at least October in order to be able to submit applications earlier in the cycle?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:10 am

December's pretty far off, but for people seeking top scores who will be busy during the summer (or busy with work / school), I see how it could make sense. The LSAT's important enough that it's worth the investment!

It can be hard to stay motivated for that many months, though. Here are some effective ways to keep yourself going when the going gets tough:

http://zenhabits.net/top-20-motivation-hacks-overview/

Twitch

New

Post by Twitch » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:17 am

Good luck with this. I'm aiming for September, but even that thread is not very active, so I post more in the June thread.

VeganChrissy

New

Post by VeganChrissy » Mon May 19, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi, checking in!
I just started studying with my eye on September but considering my diagnostic PT I feel I'd be much more prepared with the amount of time I have to study for December.
*Plus I've developed quite a collection of prep materials due to online shopping. lol

I just started on the Trainer, in your opinion would it be best to go through it all at once or practice section by section?

ntx

New

Post by ntx » Tue May 20, 2014 6:56 pm

Joining the December group.

I was running the Miami Marathon a few weeks ago and literally had an epiphany as I crossed the finish line; I want to go to law school -- finally.

I am using the Manhattan Prep books right now to help with the LG. I have absolutely no background and they're helping tremendously. The LG reminds me of learning foreign languages -- definitely beatable if you have the right attitude and you're willing to change your "mode" of thinking.

Any recommendations for the LR section? I'm not quite sure how to look at these arguments without getting a HUGE migraine.

I am at the end of a three year inner city teaching stint and officially out of my job in 15 days; I am hoping that my energy level will spike as I hit funemployment.

I do not wish to study with anyone; I've disconnected somewhat from every aspect of my life while maintaining a pretty intense running schedule to deal with the anxiety of this test. I am, however, looking forward to collaborating with everyone on these boards.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

flash21

Gold

Post by flash21 » Fri May 23, 2014 3:46 am

ive been waiting for this thread.. 160 or bust, right jeffort? (if he ever reads this..)

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Wed May 28, 2014 7:21 pm

Alright folks, taking the December LSAT in Spain. Pretty much familiar with all the stuff out there expect a few tests in the 40's and few in the late 60's. Anyways, need to score above a 160 so I can attend ASU next semester and take over my dad's beamer and condo in AZ.

Last time I studied power score, did a bunch of tests, got to the low 160's and then blew it because of nerves--super drunk up until two days before the test (ashamed to admit it). Thistimethough I'm moving my way to the right of the bell curve. None of this 75 percentile bullshit. 90th percentile in December or I'm a pussy. A whole year in Europe, a familiarity with Manhattan, sober leading up to the test, and my friends, yes, I'm in the promised land. Feel free to pm about anything. Don't sleep much, always on my computer looking at nonsense and basically up to nonsense.

Cheers,

Golddust

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Wed May 28, 2014 7:42 pm

you want to have ZERO regrets
Carpe Diem baby. Sapias, vina liques et spatio brevi spem longam reseces.

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Wed May 28, 2014 7:45 pm

Most of the people already prepping that will end up being December takers just don't know it yet since they're currently aiming for June or October first as their hopefully only take cuz early admissions and better scholarship $$ opportunities if apply before January. :wink:

Let me know if you tutor or have a class.

December's pretty far off, but for people seeking top scores who will be busy during the summer (or busy with work / school), I see how it could make sense. The LSAT's important enough that it's worth the investment!

You as well, pal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mud415

New

Post by mud415 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:32 pm

Checking in -- How's everyone progressing so far? I just finished the Trainer and will start drilling tomorrow from Cambridge. My LG is still lacking, so I'm going to spend the next few weeks going through the PowerScore LG Bible as well. Does anyone have any thoughts on the LG Bible?

Best of luck to everyone in their studies!

TheSenator

New

Post by TheSenator » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:19 pm

I plan to start prepping sometime next week (currently traveling), but judging by this thread I'm late to the party. The December LSAT is nearly 6 months away, but I somehow feel like I'm behind the eight ball already. :shock:

ntx

New

Post by ntx » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:24 pm

Progressing really well right now. I'm struggling with assumption family questions -- miserably. I seem to miss them just about every time.

I've never seen conditional logic in my life, but I am progressing rapidly. I definitely see the connections and my understanding is developing. I just finished up three years of teaching in a really rough school -- and have the entire summer to study. I'm pulling about 7 hour days right now.

I really recommend learning the LR before advancing past linear games in the LG section. I started off doing LG purely; this wasted my time as I had very little understanding of the concepts in the LR section. I am now able to apply LR rules/concepts to LG.

In short, don't start with LG past basic linear games unless (there we go, that word) you have a firm grasp of conditional logic already.

Still marathon training -- I think I would fall apart otherwise. I laugh that some people claim that you can't really improve your score -- this test seems to measure who has the most resources (not talking about your expensive Kaplan classes, guys), spends the most time studying independently (I don't know how you would master concepts unless you fall on your ass 100 times before making not-so-obvious connections) & studies efficiently.

In-and-out tables literally blow. Looking at them makes me sick. Plenty of time until December.

And to the guy above: a beer, or two -- or three is necessary. I think living in Miami makes it impossible to avoid alcohol while LSAT studying.

ntx

New

Post by ntx » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:31 pm

TheSenator wrote:I plan to start prepping sometime next week (currently traveling), but judging by this thread I'm late to the party. The December LSAT is nearly 6 months away, but I somehow feel like I'm behind the eight ball already. :shock:

You're not behind at all. I feel like if you find a decent study plan and stick to it -- you'll catch up (assuming you're even behind). I'll admit that I've been carrying at least one of my LSAT books everywhere I go right now and I don't feel bad about it at all.

I am sort of making my own study plan -- I'm unemployed right now -- and switching careers. I haven't had the funds to invest in pre-made study plans. I've basically been trying to ingest as much information possible. I missed many connections (figured them out now). I feel like studying for the LSAT is like taking a child that can't swim, throwing them into an icy pool and watching them sink or float.

Oh... and I wouldn't spend too much time fretting on these forums; I am hoping that we can help each other with confusing concepts (help me with In & Out tables -- resources???)... I am definitely bringing headphones to the test so that I don't have to listen to recent college graduates. Seems to me that the prevailing attitude pre-test on TLS seems to be: "My diagnostic was a 157! I'm SO SCREWED and only have six months to study" . . .

Calling bull on that one. You know these people are permanently glued to their computers, eatin' lean cuisines and freaking out because they can't link contrapositive conditional statements (yet).

Go out and get some sun guys, assuming you live somewhere sunny & warm.

Most of my friends skipped prepping for the RC section and scored in the high 160s and low 170s. Their biggest regret. I've seen a lot of people saying to read the Economist and other dense publications. Absolutely boring suggestion. Go to your local bookstore, find a dense novel that interests you (found an investigative journalism book "And the Band Played On") and read it when you're tired. While you're reading, practice paying attention to details, finding the main idea, opposing points -- everything. It's there. Find something that actually interests you. I know that the LSAT doesn't exactly have the most interesting articles, but if you can sustain your energy reading awfully boring articles for 35 minutes on test day -- you'll survive.

:lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mud415

New

Post by mud415 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:01 am

ntx wrote:Progressing really well right now. I'm struggling with assumption family questions -- miserably. I seem to miss them just about every time.

I've never seen conditional logic in my life, but I am progressing rapidly. I definitely see the connections and my understanding is developing. I just finished up three years of teaching in a really rough school -- and have the entire summer to study. I'm pulling about 7 hour days right now.

I really recommend learning the LR before advancing past linear games in the LG section. I started off doing LG purely; this wasted my time as I had very little understanding of the concepts in the LR section. I am now able to apply LR rules/concepts to LG.

In short, don't start with LG past basic linear games unless (there we go, that word) you have a firm grasp of conditional logic already.

Still marathon training -- I think I would fall apart otherwise. I laugh that some people claim that you can't really improve your score -- this test seems to measure who has the most resources (not talking about your expensive Kaplan classes, guys), spends the most time studying independently (I don't know how you would master concepts unless you fall on your ass 100 times before making not-so-obvious connections) & studies efficiently.

In-and-out tables literally blow. Looking at them makes me sick. Plenty of time until December.

And to the guy above: a beer, or two -- or three is necessary. I think living in Miami makes it impossible to avoid alcohol while LSAT studying.

Yeah, I finished up the LSAT Trainer a few weeks ago but will definitely need to revisit the chapters, question type by question type as I drill from Cambridge. I have a mediocre grip on LG from reading Manhattan LSAT's LG guide, but I am still a LONG way off from nabbing those -0's and -1's or -2's -- Hence, why I am turning to the PowerScore Bible.

I'm planning on starting to prep hard tomorrow while working an easy, part-time internship on the side. I think the most difficult thing concerning these next few months will definitely be staying focused and getting into and retaining a regular study routine.

Training for a marathon sounds like fun! I've recently started running myself around the block a few times every other morning to clear my head and I've noticed that mentally, it seems to make a huge difference.

politibro44

New

Post by politibro44 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:25 am

Checking in. I took June, but will likely retake December; can't make the September administration due to my cross country travels.

To all those who are new embarking on the LSAT journey, I encourage you to be patient and really utilize the review process. You can improve by leaps and bounds by having a deliberative process that requires you to determine why the right answer is right and why the other four are wrong. Either by saying it out loud, teaching it to someone else, or writing it out. Covering fewer problems in this way will be more beneficial than drilling with half an idea of what to do. Don't fall into the trap of wanting to "do," for the sake of "doing" something.

One of my main regrets is burning through precious material in an inefficient manner.

Nevertheless, I'm very excited to continue my studies. This test can be fun. Best of luck all.

Dondarrion

New

Post by Dondarrion » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:05 am

Just bought the trainer and I have all of the practice tests.

I am still in the works of getting the paperwork done so that I can take the LSAT while I am deployed. The plan now is to fly from ship to Okinawa, take the test at an on base testing center, hop a C-130 to a different base, then helo back onto the ship. :shock:

Also, what is yalls overall opinion on the trainer? Is the trainer + practice tests enough material or do I need to look at other resources as well ie bibles, manhattan, etc.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:32 am

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

huiyaogeorge

New

Post by huiyaogeorge » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:36 am

Checking in from Beijing.
Started 4 weeks ago, I have a fulltime job so try to study LSAT as mush as I can whenever I'm free.
Finished reading LG Bible, read several chapters of LR Bible...
Gotta speed up. :twisted:

flash21

Gold

Post by flash21 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:09 pm

hows everyones studying going? RC is still a massive bitch for me. Just did a timed section and got 17/28 so obviously its a weak point for me. plan on going through the cambridge RC packages multiple times throughout the summer which will be awful.. luckily LG and LR and coming along pretty good.

nklotz

New

Post by nklotz » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:51 pm

December checking in. Was planning on taking the September test but a job change and move have got in the way of studying and made me decide to push back. 170 or bust.

politibro44

New

Post by politibro44 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:32 am

Received my June score today :roll:

Will definitely be retaking in December. Going to start from the beginning. I clearly didn't have a good foundation.

I had LG bible and Manhattan, but didn't really go into them because I ended up taking a Blueprint course. Read the Trainer though, which was helpful.

Ideas on RC? Shit is the worst. I hear 7sage's method is effective...anyone tried it?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”