The Official December 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dasani13

Silver

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Post by dasani13 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:10 am

portmanteaux wrote:
dasani13 wrote:
portmanteaux wrote:Has anyone done game 1 from PT 72 recently?

I watched the 7sage explanation of the set up but I'm still a little confused. I got thrown off because it says N is the longest of the 5 reports, and S is the shortest of the 5 reports. This made me think the sequencing in each segment was related; that out of the shortest in segment 1 and the shortest is segment 2,1 had to be shorter than the other since S has to be the shortest of the 5.

The 7sage explanation made it seem so simple, but he doesn't address this idea and I'm wondering if anyone else thought this and was able to change the way they thought about the rules.
the shortest of segment 1 doesn't have to be shorter than the shortest of 2
How did you reconcile this with S is always the shortest of the five reports? Was this misleading to anyone else?
I haven't looked at this test in a while because I'll be taking it this weekend so if you'd like we can PM about that game after I take it.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:18 am

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:21 am

how do we feel about business insider's recent law school rankings?

gets me motivated every time i look at rankings.

http://www.businessinsider.com/top-law- ... 14-11?op=1

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:22 am

S is shortest but they order within the segment. So, you could find s only in spot 2 in segment 2 and 3 in segment one. This from what I remember... Then you order accordingly within the segment in both 1/2
Last edited by unodostres on Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:22 am

Dirigo wrote:Driving to Rhode Island through heavy snow.
Everyday be safe if traveling and enjoy your Thanksgiving!
im heading to virginia in an hour or so through similarly heavy snow. happy trails!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nlee10

Gold

Post by nlee10 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:26 am

santoki wrote:
Dirigo wrote:Driving to Rhode Island through heavy snow.
Everyday be safe if traveling and enjoy your Thanksgiving!
im heading to virginia in an hour or so through similarly heavy snow. happy trails!
snow.....it's 90 degrees where I am today....

But safe travels Rigo and toki!

KanGaHru

Bronze

Post by KanGaHru » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:36 am

Ugghhh....PT 68 today

GreenTee

Silver

Post by GreenTee » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:46 am

Last edited by GreenTee on Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:49 am

GreenTee wrote:
santoki wrote:how do we feel about business insider's recent law school rankings?

gets me motivated every time i look at rankings.

http://www.businessinsider.com/top-law- ... 14-11?op=1
They're shit. GULC and Cornell above Chicago, NYU and Penn? No reasonable methodology could possibly make that happen.

Granted, all rankings are nonsense to some degree, but this is a whole new barren tundra of nonsense.
one thing that bothers me is "% employed 9 months after graduation". EMPLOYED WHERE

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GreenTee

Silver

Post by GreenTee » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:52 am

santoki wrote: one thing that bothers me is "% employed 9 months after graduation". EMPLOYED WHERE
Yup. Completely ignores temp school funded positions created to game rankings and nonlegal or JD preferred employment.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:52 am

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:53 am

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:03 pm

Dirigo wrote:
GreenTee wrote:
santoki wrote: one thing that bothers me is "% employed 9 months after graduation". EMPLOYED WHERE
Yup. Completely ignores temp school funded positions created to game rankings and nonlegal or JD preferred employment.
I agree, but you guys are making an issue out of the least glaring flaw.
50% of the 300+ survey respondents dont have a JD?

i feel like this is a flaw question without any ACs :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:07 pm

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:09 pm

Dirigo wrote:
santoki wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
GreenTee wrote: And who the f are these "legal insiders"? Professors & students in the tristate area? That would explain a lot.
all in all i wasnt trying to stir up angst...staring at rankings no matter how poor they are (to an extent) is inspiring to me :D

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:11 pm

Last edited by Rigo on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

portmanteaux

New

Post by portmanteaux » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:13 pm

dasani13 wrote:
portmanteaux wrote:
dasani13 wrote:

I watched the 7sage explanation of the set up but I'm still a little confused. I got thrown off because it says N is the longest of the 5 reports, and S is the shortest of the 5 reports. This made me think the sequencing in each segment was related; that out of the shortest in segment 1 and the shortest is segment 2,1 had to be shorter than the other since S has to be the shortest of the 5.

The 7sage explanation made it seem so simple, but he doesn't address this idea and I'm wondering if anyone else thought this and was able to change the way they thought about the rules.
the shortest of segment 1 doesn't have to be shorter than the shortest of 2
How did you reconcile this with S is always the shortest of the five reports? Was this misleading to anyone else?
I haven't looked at this test in a while because I'll be taking it this weekend so if you'd like we can PM about that game after I take it.

That would be great, I'm interested to hear someone else's thought process.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

portmanteaux

New

Post by portmanteaux » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:15 pm

unodostres wrote:S is shortest but they order within the segment. So, you could find s only in spot 2 in segment 2 and 3 in segment one. This from what I remember... Then you order accordingly within the segment in both 1/2

Yes this sounds right, I think I just created my own mental barrier instead of clarifying that the two sequences are completely independent of each other.

secadc11

Silver

Post by secadc11 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:17 pm

I took this test last night, and got a perfect on that game. I just interpreted it as regardless of what segment the reports are in, S will always be last (because it's shortest) and N will always be first (because it's longest). Does that help?

GreenTee

Silver

Post by GreenTee » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:21 pm

santoki wrote:staring at rankings no matter how poor they are (to an extent) is inspiring to me :D
Inspiring how? I mean, we all know which schools are the good ones, and we all know what we need to do to get there. That's why we're here.

I don't know, I used to get really inspired just by looking at the glittering names and privately gloating about my future accomplishments. And then I realized how rough and unglorified the road is that we need to take in order to get there. The fantasy is very cart-before-the-horse.

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:30 pm

GreenTee wrote:
santoki wrote:staring at rankings no matter how poor they are (to an extent) is inspiring to me :D
Inspiring how? I mean, we all know which schools are the good ones, and we all know what we need to do to get there. That's why we're here.

I don't know, I used to get really inspired just by looking at the glittering names and privately gloating about my future accomplishments. And then I realized how rough and unglorified the road is that we need to take in order to get there. The fantasy is very cart-before-the-horse.
to me its about visualizing success- not in a naive way.

maybe its not necessarily looking at rankings, but when I see a school id like to go to its more of a "this is your opportunity, now go out and get it" mini-peptalk.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

koala-fy

Silver

Post by koala-fy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:32 pm

santoki wrote:
koala-fy wrote:
santoki wrote: signed up for june 2014 at villanova expecting the same testing site, but got ambushed and was placed in what is notoriously the WORST building on campus, with mini desk chairs. i couldnt get a lefty desk as a lefty, it was humid, construction was going on, RC section 1 kicked my ass, so i got up and left.
Wait...did they seriously put it in Tolentine in June?! :shock:
ONE BATHROOM PER FLOOR.

i actually freaked out when i saw tolentine on the admissiont ticket :evil:
I would guess it's because SBI is in those lecture rooms in Bart during the summer. Still, that sucks. Bart has the best chairs for such a long test and you get sooo much space.

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:35 pm

koala-fy wrote:
santoki wrote:
koala-fy wrote:
santoki wrote: signed up for june 2014 at villanova expecting the same testing site, but got ambushed and was placed in what is notoriously the WORST building on campus, with mini desk chairs. i couldnt get a lefty desk as a lefty, it was humid, construction was going on, RC section 1 kicked my ass, so i got up and left.
Wait...did they seriously put it in Tolentine in June?! :shock:
ONE BATHROOM PER FLOOR.

i actually freaked out when i saw tolentine on the admissiont ticket :evil:
I would guess it's because SBI is in those lecture rooms in Bart during the summer. Still, that sucks. Bart has the best chairs for such a long test and you get sooo much space.
SBI as well as a some sort of computer game camp was going on...i went to check it out after i cancelled in tolentine.

i wanted to file some sort of greivance :|

portmanteaux

New

Post by portmanteaux » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:38 pm

secadc11 wrote:

I took this test last night, and got a perfect on that game. I just interpreted it as regardless of what segment the reports are in, S will always be last (because it's shortest) and N will always be first (because it's longest). Does that help?
Wow, great job! Yes, thanks that helps. I'm not sure why I got so confused by the wording, it's not like they gave exact time lengths or anything. So it only matters to the extent that nothing can go after S, not in the sense that you need to differentiate between the shortest in segment 1 and the shortest in segment 2.

koala-fy

Silver

Post by koala-fy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:40 pm

santoki wrote: SBI as well as a some sort of computer game camp was going on...i went to check it out after i cancelled in tolentine.

i wanted to file some sort of greivance :|
Omg, that camp. I did SBI and those campers were the WORST.

But I seriously feel for any of you that have tiny desks. I feel like that's such an artificial difficulty that is so unfair. There should be a standard desk size for all test takers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”