time between lsat and aplication

tangelo

time between lsat and aplication

Postby tangelo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:38 pm

Hello, Can someone in their Freshman year of undergrad take their lsat? Will it be valid upon graduating 3 years later? Will law schools take issue with the fact the applicant took it 3 years prior to the application? Thanks. :)

Nova

Re: time between lsat and aplication

Postby Nova » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:45 pm

You could if you wanted. lsat scores are valid for 5 years. Schools don't care when you took it as long as the score is valid.

WaltGrace83

Postby WaltGrace83 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:56 pm

IF you feel that you can do well I don't see why not. As Nova said, it is valid for 5 years. However, keep in mind that many people will significantly improve in their reading and general intelligence during college - that is, if you do college "correctly."

EDIT: also keep in mind that you will basically have to apply right out of undergrad. If you feel that you may have any inclination to do something else for a little bit after college then you could possibly have your score expire.

BPlaura

Postby BPlaura » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:08 pm

As others have said, you could - but most people don't, and for good reason. While you might be planning now on going straight to law school after college, you may well decide to get a year or two of work experience in between, and it would be frustrating to feel that you either can't take that time off or have to retake the LSAT. Also, as WaltGrace said, your reading and critical thinking skills will likely improve over the next few years.

Bottom line: if you have your heart set on taking it during your freshman year, then by all means, it's possible. But for most people it makes more sense to wait until junior or senior year at the earliest.

WaltGrace83

Postby WaltGrace83 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:41 pm

Or you could be like me (not saying that this is the best way for you to be)....

I knew without a doubt I was going to law school after college. I even determined my major for it (no my major is not pre-law). Going to law school, and going to a top school, has been a dream of mine since I was old enough to decipher what I wanted to do with my life. I am as passionate about law school as ever but I also realize that once I enter those doors at law school, I will forever be a lawyer. My freedom of choice is more or less over. I can never really take time off to do something else just because I feel like it ever again.

I graduated a semester early, am dedicating this whole 5 months to studying for the LSAT and getting a much needed break from the skills of my major, and will most likely be taking next year off to teach. I may even take two years off. You don't always have to be in a rush to get this process over with. Enjoy it! I know it sounds crazy but you are only a college student for so long and so try to not even think about the LSAT even if you are just like me. Trust me. I think you'll prefer the outcomes.

EDIT: I guess what I am trying to say is that studying for the LSAT is exhausting. I am not saying it is not interesting, fun, etc. but it is exhausting. If you take it your freshman year of college, you only have a little bit of leeway in which you can do something without your score expiring. You are basically a slave to the law schools because you will have basically no exit options (unless of course you want to study for it AGAIN). What if you get waitlisted at your dream school? What if it is not financial feasible at the time? Who knows! But you don't want to be put into a situation where you are scared into going to law school because the possibility of having to retake the LSAT made you that way.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:23 am

Although LSAT scores are reported by LSAC for five years, some schools specifically say they require an LSAT score no older than three years. You have to check the application materials for each school to see which ones have this limitation.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”