PT 55 LR S3 Q24 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Walrus

New

PT 55 LR S3 Q24

Post by Walrus » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:04 pm

P: Aesthetic value discussed-->At least two readers agree on the correct interpretation of the poem.
C:Objective evaluation-->~Poem has whatever meaning is assigned by readers

Question type - NA

I see two NA:
1) Objective evaluation-->Aesthetic value discussed
2) At least two readers agree on the correct interpretation of the poem-->~Poem has whatever meaning is assigned by readers

Correct answer (D) Objective evaluation-->Aesthetic value discussed
I agree that "D" is a necessary assumption, but I am having trouble with eliminating "C"

(C) Discussion of a poem is possible only if it is false that a poem has whatever meaning is assigned to it by the reader.

Is "C" wrong because it overreaches what is necessary by talking about "discussion" in general when argument is talking about discussion of aesthetic value? There could be other kinds of discussion that are not necessary for objective evaluation and we don't care if those kinds of discussions preclude truth of believe that poems have whatever meaning is assigned to them by readers.

It seems to me that assumption
Aesthetic value discussed-->~Poem has whatever meaning is assigned by readers
is also necessary because of transitive property (Aesthetic value discussed-->At least two readers agree on the correct interpretation of the poem-->~Poem has whatever meaning is assigned)

Please help me to find a solid reason for eliminating "C"

Christine (MLSAT)

Bronze

Re: PT 55 LR S3 Q24

Post by Christine (MLSAT) » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:18 pm

Walrus wrote:Is "C" wrong because it overreaches what is necessary by talking about "discussion" in general when argument is talking about discussion of aesthetic value? There could be other kinds of discussion that are not necessary for objective evaluation and we don't care if those kinds of discussions preclude truth of believe that poems have whatever meaning is assigned to them by readers.

It seems to me that assumption
Aesthetic value discussed-->~Poem has whatever meaning is assigned by readers
is also necessary because of transitive property (Aesthetic value discussed-->At least two readers agree on the correct interpretation of the poem-->~Poem has whatever meaning is assigned)

Please help me to find a solid reason for eliminating "C"
Yes, this is exactly the issue. If the answer choice had said "discussion of the aesthetic value of a poem" instead of "discussion of a poem", then it would be a Necessary Assumption. You are completely on target that the answer goes too broad by switching to a general comment about 'discussion'. We don't need a statement that strong/broad/general for the argument to work.

Great job!

Walrus

New

Re: PT 55 LR S3 Q24

Post by Walrus » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:34 pm

Thank you for help!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”