lsat allowed items

wannabejag

lsat allowed items

Postby wannabejag » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:07 pm

Can you bring dry erase stuff or any type of colored pencils into the test room for use on test day?.

rinkrat19

Re: lsat allowed items

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:09 pm

No.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/day-of-test wrote:Items Allowed in the Test Room
Test takers may bring into the test room only a clear plastic ziplock bag, maximum size one gallon (3.79 liter), which must be stored under the chair and may be accessed only during the break. The sealed ziplock bag may contain only the following items: valid ID; wallet; keys; analog (nondigital) wristwatch; medical or feminine hygiene products; #2 or HB wooden pencils, a highlighter, erasers (no erasers with sleeves), pencil sharpener (no mechanical pencils); tissues; and beverage in plastic container or juice box (20 oz./591 ml maximum size) and snack for break only. No aluminum cans permitted. All items must fit in the ziplock bag such that the bag can be sealed.

Items Allowed on the Desktop
Test takers may only have tissues, their ID, wooden pencils, erasers, a pencil sharpener, a highlighter, and an analog (nondigital) wristwatch. No electronic devices are permitted. Neither are timers of any kind except analog wristwatches.

Items Prohibited at the Test Center
You may not bring into the testing center or use any of the following:

electronic timers of any kind
digital watches, alarm watches, beeping watches, calculator watches
cell phones, pay phones, beepers, pagers, personal digital assistants (PDAs)
personal computers
calculators
photographic or recording devices
listening devices
headsets, iPods, or other media players
books, dictionaries, papers of any kind
rulers
mechanical pencils
ink pens
briefcases, handbags, backpacks of any kind
earplugs
hats/hoods (except religious apparel) may not be worn on the head
weapons or firearms

KingJamesLBJ

Postby KingJamesLBJ » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:12 pm

wannabejag

Postby wannabejag » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:20 pm

What about a #2 colored pencil....They do exist.

KingJamesLBJ

Postby KingJamesLBJ » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:23 pm

wannabejag wrote:What about a #2 colored pencil....They do exist.

You wont get very far on the LSAT without reading comprehension. It does not say #2 color pencil. The answer is NO. If you want color in your life, bring a highlighter.

Nicolena.

Postby Nicolena. » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:32 pm

KingJamesLBJ wrote:
If you want color in your life, bring a highlighter.

This made me laugh.

I needed a pick me up. Thank you. :D

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:36 pm

If you want to bring one dry erase color marker, that would qualify as your highlighter so it should be fine to bring one. IDK if the way the rules are phrased does prohibit colored #2 pencils and I highly doubt the proctors would notice or care if they do notice colored writing in your test book, but more importantly, why would you want to bring these things on test day?

You are allowed to bring a highlighter to highlight things in the test book if that is your purpose, so I don't see the need for dry erase gear or colored pencils. What's your plan with these things? If you are thinking about using colored pencils to underline things and color code different types of things, you'll find that this is a very time consuming cumbersome task that will mess you up on test day since you have to keep juggling colors and different pens/pencils. Doing a system like that can be good for review and deep analysis of questions during prep, but is way too time consuming for test day if you want to attempt all the questions in every section.

Nicolena. wrote:
KingJamesLBJ wrote:
If you want color in your life, bring a highlighter.

This made me laugh.

I needed a pick me up. Thank you. :D

Made me laugh too! :lol:
Last edited by Jeffort on Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:41 pm

No. But why? I'm honestly curious.

wannabejag

Postby wannabejag » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:50 pm

When working thru the reasoning problems it is tremendously easier for me to draw things out in color. I have a tendency to confuse data I write down between one problem to the next. Color coding my stuff has proven to me to be almost flawless.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:06 pm

wannabejag wrote:When working thru the reasoning problems it is tremendously easier for me to draw things out in color. I have a tendency to confuse data I write down between one problem to the next. Color coding my stuff has proven to me to be almost flawless.

And that works in enough time? That would slow me the fuck down.

wannabejag

Postby wannabejag » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:22 pm

phillywc wrote:
wannabejag wrote:When working thru the reasoning problems it is tremendously easier for me to draw things out in color. I have a tendency to confuse data I write down between one problem to the next. Color coding my stuff has proven to me to be almost flawless.

Yes. All I do is rotate a color if I write anything down from one question to the next. In other words, if I have to work thru one specific problem by filling in the gaps on my chart I use a color, so I can overlook the data on the next question but use the same chart. It works really well. I can probably make due with highlighter if I have too. But I'm going to call lsac and ask about colored pencils.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:38 pm

wannabejag wrote:
phillywc wrote:

Yes. All I do is rotate a color if I write anything down from one question to the next. In other words, if I have to work thru one specific problem by filling in the gaps on my chart I use a color, so I can overlook the data on the next question but use the same chart. It works really well. I can probably make due with highlighter if I have too. But I'm going to call lsac and ask about colored pencils.

Might as well ask if they'll accept crayons and finger paints while you're at it.

wannabejag

Postby wannabejag » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:05 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:
wannabejag wrote:
phillywc wrote:

Might as well ask if they'll accept crayons and finger paints while you're at it.

This is just a typical tls forum response. Yes, I'm picking up your sarcasm. No, crayons and finger paints have to comparison to a set of instructions that say #2 pencil. Yes, a number 2 pencil can come in color. No, they do not look different physically in shape then a regular number 2 pencil. No, the instruction do not specify. Yes, I will post an update after my Feb test on if it was allowed. Yes, you are a D bag.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:11 pm

wannabejag wrote:Yes, a number 2 pencil can come in color. No, they do not look different physically in shape then a regular number 2 pencil.

Can you provide a link to colored pencils that are explicitly marked "#2" or "HB"? I tried to find some out of curiosity, but didn't have any luck.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:41 pm

I'm messing with you, jag. I hope you figure it out with lsac. I'm unaware of a no. 2 graphite color pencil.

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:02 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dardardelight

Postby dardardelight » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:20 am

hold up, wait a minute -- is wearing a hood not allowed during the LSAT? I always wear hoods during standardized tests so I can block out everything that's going on at my peripheries. I'd be very bummed if this is true..

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:27 am

dardardelight wrote:hold up, wait a minute -- is wearing a hood not allowed during the LSAT? I always wear hoods during standardized tests so I can block out everything that's going on at my peripheries. I'd be very bummed if this is true..

It is true. I wore one to my first exam and they gave me a hard time, but ultimately let me keep it on (and I didn't put it up around my head, which is what the list now seems to suggest is the problem).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”