Old LSAT score?

mn40

Old LSAT score?

Postby mn40 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:55 pm

Hello everyone,

I took the LSAT a year and a half ago when I was still in college without taking it very seriously (in June 2012). I ended up getting a poor score (166).

I'm now working full-time and am seriously considering applying to law school during the next cycle. I'll be taking the LSAT in June 2014.

Two questions:
1) Will law schools see my old score from 2012?
2) Will this negatively affect my application in any way whatsoever? I'm hoping no, as it will have been two years since the last time I took the LSAT.

Thank you in advance!

knicker

Re: Old LSAT score?

Postby knicker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:02 am

mn40 wrote:Hello everyone,

I took the LSAT a year and a half ago when I was still in college without taking it very seriously (in June 2012). I ended up getting a poor score (166).

I'm now working full-time and am seriously considering applying to law school during the next cycle. I'll be taking the LSAT in June 2014.

Two questions:
2) Will this negatively affect my application in any way whatsoever? I'm hoping no, as it will have been two years since the last time I took the LSAT.

Thank you in advance!

Your old score is valid for 5 years. Schools will receive both your old score and your new score.

Schools have different policies on how they view multiple scores. Some say they'll take the average, but most have some ambiguous statement on their websites about "evaluating all LSAT scores." Conventional wisdom says that most schools only care about the highest score because that's the one that factors into their admissions stats.

You can write an addendum to your application explaining why your old score was low if you've got a good reason (sick on test day, personal issue, etc...).

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:03 am

A 166 isn't going to hurt you anywhere except perhaps HYS, but only there if your next score isn't above 169.

Why do you think a 166 is a poor score that would hurt your admissions chances? It is competitive at pretty much all schools except for the top few, but still in range for a slim chance at those if your other factors are awesome.

LSAT scores are valid and reported for 5 years.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:29 am

mn40 wrote:Hello everyone,

Two questions:

Thank you in advance!

Let's have some perspective, OP. You have a good score, albeit one you'd like to improve upon. If you said that, we would all respect it.

I always crack up when people write that they got a lousy score and then reveal that they scored in the 165-169 range, where 90% of the applicant pool WISHES to be.

The subtext is, "I am way more awesome than that, and I was just playing around - but now I'm ready to get serious."

I can't think of any situation in which a 166 is a "poor" score. It may not be as competitive for the HYS without perfect grades and some amazing softs, but a 166 can be respected even on those campuses (and NOT just for URM's).

Having said that, I wish people here didn't take themselves so damn seriously. Touting a mid-160's+ score as a "low" score is really just a way of bragging. Even a 150 is "average" in the grand scheme of things.

Have great standards for yourself, and shoot for that 175. I love it when people want to do better, but calling a 166 low is like calling a new C-Class Mercedes a "beater" just because it isn't a Ferrari or Bentley...or (gulp) a Bugatti!
Last edited by PDaddy on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

mn40

Postby mn40 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:42 am

Thank you everyone for your replies! I am very sorry if I came off as arrogant/pretentious/etc. (although I'm not sure what I would gain by impressing anonymous posters on an internet forum). That was not my intention.

I'm just trying to find out if law schools (HYS included) would look negatively at a score which falls below their median by considerable margin if that score is from 2+ years before the application. I'm relatively new to this process and am just trying to get some information. Thank you again.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:49 am

I can see now that it probably wasn't purposeful on your part. Just be mindful that every day there are posters hoping they can get up to 160, just so they can have a "good" score.

The part that made it look braggadocios was saying that you scored 166 without putting forth a lot of effort. Of course, you should not be ashamed for being good at the test, and its nice to hear from people who could score 180 (or very close to it) one day. Starting from 166 naked, who knows? I would tell you to be very proud of your score no matter what. The security of knowing that you already have a very respectable score should make your training easier.

Just be mindful of others who wish they could score that high, because the majority of them never will.

Good luck! :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”