RC Powering Through Strategy

Darmody
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:58 pm

RC Powering Through Strategy

Postby Darmody » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:41 pm

Does anyone have the link to the thread where one of the TLS posters struggled with RC, and then he decided to just do a ridiculous amount of RC sections in a row one day without a break (I think it was 10 in a row?), and afterwards, he consistently scored -0 or -1? If not, can anyone verify this method/strategy? It apparently made the guy see/recognize all the patterns and reasoning structures after the 10 RC in a row. I am 2.5 weeks out from Feb test, and RC is my weakest point and was wondering if I needed to make a desperate move for this time of crisis.

Darmody
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: RC Powering Through Strategy

Postby Darmody » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:55 am

bump

ElliotNessquire
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:37 pm

Re: RC Powering Through Strategy

Postby ElliotNessquire » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:38 am

bump

10052014
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

.

Postby 10052014 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:45 am

.
Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ElliotNessquire
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:37 pm

Re: RC Powering Through Strategy

Postby ElliotNessquire » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:06 am

Assistance appreciated -- although this method seemed to have a positive effect on rkitten, what about someone like myself who is only answering about 60% of my RC section correctly?

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1897
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: RC Powering Through Strategy

Postby Jeffort » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:50 am

ElliotNessquire wrote:Assistance appreciated -- although this method seemed to have a positive effect on rkitten, what about someone like myself who is only answering about 60% of my RC section correctly?


rkitten's list of things to underline is a decent list of important types of relationships to pick up on in RC passages that are commonly tested in questions, so training yourself to pay attention to and prioritize those types of things in passages while reading and analyzing should help you be better prepared to answer the questions accurately. The powering through 10 sections in a row part didn't suddenly make rkitten smarter or a better reader, it appears to have helped her train her brain to better focus on the types of information that are more likely to be important for answering questions instead of the details that can distract from clearly seeing the important main ideas/points of view that most questions will be related to.

You can and should focus on training yourself to pay more attention to such things while you read in order to better see the structure, flow and big picture/main themes/main ideas of passages. Do some RC passages untimed with the goal of paying more attention to big picture structure, transitions, main ideas/points of view, etc. with the common indicator cues she listed rather than trying to master all the details while you read. The goal is to re-train your main focus while you read from getting bogged down in the details to instead paying more attention to seeing the big picture/structure of the few main ideas presented and discussed. Most of the things on her list are structure/main ideas related indicators and it seems she used those 10 sections to practice mainly focusing on types of things while reading the passages. You don't have to do a bunch of sections fast to practice the same thing and get good at it, it's easier to start going slow if you aren't already trained to notice transitions in the text and mainly focus on big/main points instead of supporting details/mish-mash.
Last edited by Jeffort on Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nicolena.
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:44 am

Re: RC Powering Through Strategy

Postby Nicolena. » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:20 am

Do you really think ten sections in a row is the best way to become familiar with this? Or should 5 suffice?

Jeffort wrote:
ElliotNessquire wrote:Assistance appreciated -- although this method seemed to have a positive effect on rkitten, what about someone like myself who is only answering about 60% of my RC section correctly?


rkitten's list of things to underline is a decent list of important types of relationships to pick up on in RC passages that are commonly tested in questions, so training yourself to pay attention to and prioritize those types of things in passages while reading and analyzing should help you be better prepared to answer the questions accurately. The powering through 10 sections in a row part didn't suddenly make rkitten smarter or a better reader, it appears to have helped her train her brain to better focus on the types of information that are more likely to be important for answering questions instead of the details that can distract from clearly seeing the important main ideas/points of view that most questions will be related to.

You can and should focus on training yourself to pay more attention to such things while you read in order to better see the structure, flow and big picture/main themes/main ideas of passages. Do some RC passages untimed with the goal of paying more attention to big picture structure, transitions, main ideas/points of view, etc. rather than trying to master all the details. The goal is to re-train your main focus while you read from getting bogged down in the details to instead paying more attention to seeing the big picture/structure of the few main ideas presented and discussed. Most of the things on her list are structure/main ideas related indicators.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1897
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: RC Powering Through Strategy

Postby Jeffort » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:34 am

Nicolena. wrote:Do you really think ten sections in a row is the best way to become familiar with this? Or should 5 suffice?


The goal of all RC prep is to get better at reading this way for big picture/structure. The list is just a nice little summary of common structural/transition indicators that when noticed make it easier to pick up on the main points/points of view/important stuff plus the flow from one main idea to the next one due to tuning into transitional language so that you see and identify the big themes/ideas through the fog of details while you read. Part of figuring out the main points/ideas/themes is accomplished by noticing which topics/ideas the passage transitions between so you track the focus of the authors mind from idea to idea and think about how the ideas relate to each other to build up to a bigger idea.

Practice with this focus as much as you can until consciously noticing these types things becomes second nature habit! If you pay more attention to the types of things in the list, you will be paying more attention to main points/structure/important stuff LSAC likes to ask RC questions about since they are markers/indicators for the main important things you should mainly be focusing on.

In short, you should always be practicing to get better and more familiar with seeing this type of stuff whenever you read a passage since it's the essence of what RC is testing you on. It's not something you just practice doing a couple of times, it's what you should always be paying more attention to than trying to memorize scattered details or guessing about which parts are the main ideas.

The post appears to be how rkitten specifically got her mind better focused on thinking mainly about big picture and less concerned about details. It really is just another way of giving the same advice you always hear about RC, read for structure/main points, along with the specific training exercise kitten used to help change her mental priorities when reading.

No need to force yourself to do a bunch of passages in a row fast to train your brain/re-form your habits into paying specific attention to types of things on the list if you aren't already pretty good at RC under timed conditions. The purpose is to re-train your brain and thought processes about what to focus on more to help you properly identify the main ideas and distinguish them from supporting details. If you have to do it slow for a while to program yourself to pay conscious attention to these types of things, so be it, as long as your reading focus priority properly shifts to figuring out the big picture. Once you get comfortable paying attention this way going slow a few times, speed things up appropriately with timed passages/sections.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Instrumental, MethodMan and 3 guests