Superprep B February 1999 S3 RC Passage 3 Q20

Walrus

Superprep B February 1999 S3 RC Passage 3 Q20

Postby Walrus » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:39 pm

Based on the passage, the author's attitude toward nativism in Hispanic-American literature is most likely
A) enthusiastic support
B) general approval (correct)

I initially chose "A" because:

Line 50 says "We contemporary Hispanic-American writers..." This line indicates that author is Hispanic-American writer.

Line 57 says "in order not to disappear into the mainstream, one must return to one's origins." From this I concluded that nativism is necessary for Hispanic-American writer in order to maintain his identity.

If author identifies himself like Hispanic-American writer it is reasonably to assume that he is strongly opposed to loosing his identity and disappearing in mainstream; it is something that is really bad for him. At the same time nativism is necessary in order to protect his identity from disappearing in mainstream. Therefore I conclude that author's attitude is not simply "general approval" but "enthusiastic support."

Unfortunately my reasoning did not lead to correct answer. Please, help me to figure out where I made a mistake.

papercut

Re: Superprep B February 1999 S3 RC Passage 3 Q20

Postby papercut » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:17 pm

Something you should know about RC is that they love to use nuanced points of view. Why? They're just a bit harder to think about than pure black vs white views. That's why you'll often see the author point out a weakness or limitation in their own point of view. So, an answer like A will almost never be right on the LSAT, and if it is, it should be painfully obvious.

papercut

Re: Superprep B February 1999 S3 RC Passage 3 Q20

Postby papercut » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:20 pm

A wanted to add, but forgot.

None of the quotes you posted show "enthusiasm." The author isn't exactly Tom Cruising jumping on Oprah's couch here.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”