Pt 23 game 4

withoutapaddle

Pt 23 game 4

Postby withoutapaddle » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:48 pm

Anyone else feel like this game was extremely difficult? I got them all right, but it took me awhile to complete the game

papercut

Re: Pt 23 game 4

Postby papercut » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:10 pm

You'll always find someone who thinks something was difficult, and also someone who thinks it was easy.

If it took you a ton of time to finish you did it incorrectly. You have to accept that if you want to get full credit on LG.

What usually happens is you didn't do some work up front that would have made the game much quicker. You missed a major deduction, you didn't break up the game into scenarios, you didn't think about distribution, you didn't combine rules.

After you represent all the rules, you need to spend a a few minutes trying to combine them.

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:11 pm

Agree with above poster, brains come in different sizes.

papercut

Postby papercut » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:47 am

By the way what kind of game was it? It might not even be relevant, since it's so old.

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:45 am

Is it bad to do old PT's? I figured the LSAT wouldn't have changed that drastically

Also when doing a game should I be able to answer most the questions based off my diagram? or is there still alot of diagramming for each question no matter how good my diagram is?

Right now I'm banging out LR and RC

I just don't want my games score to kill me

papercut

Postby papercut » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:53 am

Is it bad to do old PT's? I figured the LSAT wouldn't have changed that drastically

There are plenty of questions on old PTs that are representative of modern LSATs, but there are also plenty that are not. This is especially the case in LG. The modern LSAT is just ordering and grouping (of course these have subtypes). For example, you almost certainly won't have to do any graph theory based games (think subway map game, or snow shoveling game). So, I'd just pick out the grouping and ordering games, and not worry about the rest. You can still do them for fun though, but you probably don't have time for that.

Also when doing a game should I be able to answer most the questions based off my diagram? or is there still a lot of diagramming for each question no matter how good my diagram is?

If a question has the word "if" in it, or it's otherwise introducing some new information you need to set up a hypothetical. If however, you get no new information, then your original setup should be good enough. If it's not, you missed something.

Right now I'm banging out LR and RC. I just don't want my games score to kill me

I think it's insane to take the LSAT without an awesome LG score. Think, -2 to -1. It's the easiest section to study for. It's tough, that's for sure, but you can study very systematically and improve until you're prefect.

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:19 pm

Thanks for the advice . So basically grind linea, advance linear , grouping , advance grouping , and pure sequencing

papercut

Postby papercut » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:46 pm

Yeah basically. I think according to the naming conventions you're using there, there are a few more game subtypes but you should be able to spot grouping and ordering.

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:59 pm

Just did a game section . Doing the work up front (hypotheticals, combining rules) saves time and helps get the answers right faster. Thanks a lot!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”