How do you balance studying LG vs. LR? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
poirot

New

How do you balance studying LG vs. LR?

Post by poirot » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:55 am

I am curious as to how you would recommend studying LG and LR on a day-to-day basis. Would you suggest alternating between the two sections, or drilling one section for one week and the other the alternate week?

TheLawrax

New

Re: How do you balance studying LG vs. LR?

Post by TheLawrax » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:55 pm

Every day. If you wait too long between practicing different sections, you're likely to forget how to properly use question/section type strategies. Plus, on test day you'll be switching gears between sections a lot, so it's a good idea to get used to it. Not to mention you should be studying more than 35 minutes a day to get good results.

How's your RC? I found that was actually the section I had to practice the most.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:42 pm

poirot wrote:I am curious as to how you would recommend studying LG and LR on a day-to-day basis. Would you suggest alternating between the two sections, or drilling one section for one week and the other the alternate week?
You'll get varied advice on this, different people study differently so you should try to find your own groove. I personally studied one subject each day heavily, though I always did a few LGs even if I was focusing on LR or RC that day.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:43 pm

Don't go more than a few days without studying either one, regardless of how well you have a handle on either one. With that being said, I personally spend more time on LR since it is 50% of your test and LG is much easier to perfect.

blackbirdfly

Bronze

Post by blackbirdfly » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:14 am

Last edited by blackbirdfly on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arhoogie

New

Post by arhoogie » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:58 pm

Right now I'm doing LG Mon, Wed, Sat; LR Tues, Thurs, Sat, and RC Friday. I average about two hours per day, more on Saturday. It's working well so far, but I've only been following this method for about three weeks. Expecting to keep it up until March when I start PTing (I'm taking the June test). Hope this helps!

Christine (MLSAT)

Bronze

Post by Christine (MLSAT) » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:55 am

poirot wrote:I am curious as to how you would recommend studying LG and LR on a day-to-day basis. Would you suggest alternating between the two sections, or drilling one section for one week and the other the alternate week?
Obviously, answers are going to vary widely, but I would strongly recommend NOT putting a week in between LR study sessions, or LG study sessions. Giving yourself a day or two to digest and let the subconscious work can be a very valuable thing, but putting an entire week 'break' into a thought process build-up is dangerous most of the time.* Ideally, you want to give yourself just enough time to let new ideas gel and expand and then immediately thereafter put them back into practice.

It's sort of like working out to build muscle - you *need* a rest day or two, for the muscle fibers to repair and grow. But 'rest' for too long between workouts and you don't maximize your gains.

*The exception to this is that occasionally, a complete break from all things LSAT for a while can be rejuvenating. But that's something to be used rarely, and ideally when you might otherwise hit burnout.

keruan

New

Post by keruan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:50 am

build your own strategy for LG, after some practising your will find LG is really easy and do it as a rest when you study LR.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”