Could use some guidance (June LSAT)

DuncND2013

Could use some guidance (June LSAT)

Postby DuncND2013 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:37 pm

What's up. Been checking out this forum for a while but could use some help, hoped you guys might have some thoughts.

I graduated with a 3.8 from a T20 university this past summer and have been working as a litigation paralegal at a midsize IP firm in DC since then. It's a good job but the hours fluctuate based on trial dates/cases, and it's not a copy/binder job--we get real responsibilities, so that's good. Anyway, I'm trying to go to law school in fall of 2015 (pretty much have to at this point). I put in some groundwork/ took the PS class last summer (before senior year), but fell off the wagon during school and essentially decided to work before going to law school. Rededicated myself to the grind at the end of the summer, and wanted to go for December LSAT--however, work absolutely blew up in October and November (billed ~200 hours each month), so that completely wrecked my studying. I've been back at it since that case closed.

I'm looking for advice concerning maximization of my time/methods/resources from here. I spent a lot of time doing all of the available problems from the powerscore class notebooks, drilling section types, etc. I've since graduated to doing timed sections (from the Bible workbooks), and have been making improvements. My raw diagnostic in 2012 was a 160, and I've been around -3 to -4, with -1 in my last 2 logic games sections, in all three sections. I've got preptests 07-51 in my possession, a couple more sections left in the workbooks, and some reading comprehension passages left in the lesson books.

I try to study a couple hours 4-5 days after work, and 6-8 hours on the weekends. There's not much more I can do other than that. Work will probably get busy in the month of March again, though hopefully not to the level of this fall. April-June should be decent hours.

So enough of this--my questions are:

1) If I want to ace the test in June, how should I approach my studying progression. I'm doing timed sections now, and plan on supplementing these with full tests in the next few weeks, with full reviews of sections and tests after doing them and spot practice for problem sections/topics. Any thoughts on this? Also, any good recs for extra topic-organized practice?

2) How should I maximize my resources? Are some of the preptests better/more accurate for full test-taking than others (say, more recent ones?)

3) Though I've gone through powerscore, would it be worth it to take the time to go through something like the LSAT trainer?

Thanks bros and bro-ettes. Obviously shooting for a 180 (duh) but 170 is my must-have. Really would like to get it in June, as I'd like to resume my life. Any help you guys can give is much appreciated.

Louis1127

Re: Could use some guidance (June LSAT)

Postby Louis1127 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:06 pm

DuncND2013 wrote:3) Though I've gone through powerscore, would it be worth it to take the time to go through something like the LSAT trainer?

Hell yes.

DuncND2013

Postby DuncND2013 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:29 pm

Word. How would you approach it, considering where I'm at now?

Louis1127

Postby Louis1127 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:29 pm

My bad, I was assuming someone with much more experience will jump in and offer you much better advice than I could. I am sure someone will, in time. I just wanted to make clear the The LSAT Trainer is golden in terms of strategy, especially for LR. I remember in the Dec 2013 study group thread many people who were PTing in the high 160s got the Trainer and were thinking Mike for it once they got their scores. Thus, I think it would be helpful for you IMO.

I would use the PTs from 7-51 for drilling individual problems/passages, particularly your weaknesses. Get the most recent PTs (if you don't have them already) and use those to perfect your timing and build up your endurance. You get the best of both worlds that way. Also, that way the tests you take closest to gameday are the most recent tests.

Feel free to join us in the official TLS study group, if you would like:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=211248

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”