Postby 10052014 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christine (MLSAT)

Re: Regarding Parallel questions

Postby Christine (MLSAT) » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:34 pm

I think that's *incredibly* dangerous on Parallel questions. I can't tell you how many times I've been superficially attracted to (A) only to keep reading and realize that (C) is actually parallel in every way, and (A) had an imperfection I failed to notice right off the bat.

I would honestly never choose an LR answer on any question type without reading every answer choice. Way too risky.

Postby 10052014 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:38 pm

Postby 10052014 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:49 pm

Zensack

Postby Zensack » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:53 pm

Christine (MLSAT) wrote:I think that's *incredibly* dangerous on Parallel questions. I can't tell you how many times I've been superficially attracted to (A) only to keep reading and realize that (C) is actually parallel in every way, and (A) had an imperfection I failed to notice right off the bat.

Agreed.

jaylawyer09 wrote:what about reading the entire answer choice? Sometimes on a LR question, the first few words tell me it is wrong. should I continue to read the choice, or just cross it out?

Should be fine. If time is even remotely an issue, I also advocate skipping and returning to parallels, FYI.

Christine (MLSAT)

Postby Christine (MLSAT) » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:58 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:what about reading the entire answer choice? Sometimes on a LR question, the first few words tell me it is wrong. should I continue to read the choice, or just cross it out?

That's safer, but it's very much a 'use with judgment' strategy. Sometimes, a single word can make something definitively wrong such that nothing that comes after it could ever save it. That's an entirely different analysis than saying 'this answer choice is definitively correct and nothing could possibly be wrong with it'. You're much more likely to mess up the second one. ;)

It's like the difference between 'must be false' and 'could be true' on a lot of logic games. Sometimes it's hard to see that something could be true - you play it out, and it seems ok, but you worry that you've missed something. However, if you plug it in and the game breaks, then you know you've found a clear cut rule violator.

Definitely wrong (for a specific reason) is many times easier to prove, while 'rightness' may be more of a 'I haven't noticed anything wrong with it....yet....'.

Just don't apply it too aggressively - for instance, an extreme word like 'always' might set off alarm bells, but it might be justifiable in the circumstances, etc.

Postby 10052014 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:04 pm

knicker

Postby knicker » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:12 pm

Christine (MLSAT) wrote:I think that's *incredibly* dangerous on Parallel questions. I can't tell you how many times I've been superficially attracted to (A) only to keep reading and realize that (C) is actually parallel in every way, and (A) had an imperfection I failed to notice right off the bat.

I would honestly never choose an LR answer on any question type without reading every answer choice. Way too risky.

TCR. Parallels are my weakest LR questions type. I always try to devote 30 extra seconds or so to them. I think it's OK to eliminate obviously wrong choices without reading them all the way through, but I definitely make sure I evaluate every answer choice. It's pretty unusual there aren't at least two competitive options.

Christine (MLSAT)

Postby Christine (MLSAT) » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:11 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:
Christine (MLSAT) wrote:

That's safer, but it's very much a 'use with judgment' strategy. Sometimes, a single word can make something definitively wrong such that nothing that comes after it could ever save it. That's an entirely different analysis than saying 'this answer choice is definitively correct and nothing could possibly be wrong with it'. You're much more likely to mess up the second one. ;)

It's like the difference between 'must be false' and 'could be true' on a lot of logic games. Sometimes it's hard to see that something could be true - you play it out, and it seems ok, but you worry that you've missed something. However, if you plug it in and the game breaks, then you know you've found a clear cut rule violator.

Definitely wrong (for a specific reason) is many times easier to prove, while 'rightness' may be more of a 'I haven't noticed anything wrong with it....yet....'.

Just don't apply it too aggressively - for instance, an extreme word like 'always' might set off alarm bells, but it might be justifiable in the circumstances, etc.

Awesome Blossom.
By the way, I am on the last chapter in you guy's book (Explain a Result) - Reading it now, and will drill the ~120 questions of its respective packet in the upcoming days. Just want to say the book is really helpful, and its even more helpful to talk to the staff.

Aww, thanks! We love you too! ;)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”