Noob Question about self-study

Hatshepsut

Noob Question about self-study

Postby Hatshepsut » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:01 am

Given the vertigo-inducing number of high quality LSAT resources on the market, how do self-studiers avoid overlap when planning their individual programs? For example, I've heard great things about the Manhattan bundle, the LSAT Trainer, Cambridge drill sets, and Velocity LG. How do I mix and match these disparate parts and leave untouched enough recent preptests for the last month? It seems like the main benefit of choosing one company/prep-course is that someone else has already organized the material for you and all you have to do is follow the schedule. The sheer number of resources is staggering for the novice.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

vuthy

Re: Noob Question about self-study

Postby vuthy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:39 am

I don't think there's one right answer. If you study enough, you inevitably end up "overlapping" a bit -- either because you see some of the same drill questions repeated, or because some of the methods are really similar. Personally I went with the Manhattan bundle + the Trainer + the big Cambridge bundle that has all the drill questions from 1-39 and the full PTs for 40-70. Yes, there is some overlap, but not in a way that hurts your prep. Just figure out a plan that works for you, and don't worry so much about every single day needing to fit perfectly with the previous/next day in terms of content. After 5-6 months you'll realize that it's more macro than that.

$alty

Postby $alty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:05 am

the cambridge bundles are for pts 1-38. the manhattan guides rarely touch material more recent than that iirc. they fit pretty well and are not "disparate parts," imo.

$alty

Postby $alty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:10 am

that came off more "mean" than i intended. my point is that if you look through this stuff, you'll definitely be able to put together a comprehensive study package that isn't a crappy hodgepodge of ripped pages from each program.

Christine (MLSAT)

Postby Christine (MLSAT) » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:33 pm

You've got to get a handle on what purpose each item is serving. The Manhattan bundle works a bit differently than the Trainer, for instance, and it seems a lot of people are quite happy integrating them together. Both of those (and many other books) are for guidance through the process of building your comprehension and adjusting your thought process. The Cambridge packets and individual PTs are the raw test material meant for you to *engage* those skills that you are building.

Hatshepsut

Postby Hatshepsut » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:41 pm

Christine (MLSAT) wrote:You've got to get a handle on what purpose each item is serving. The Manhattan bundle works a bit differently than the Trainer, for instance, and it seems a lot of people are quite happy integrating them together. Both of those (and many other books) are for guidance through the process of building your comprehension and adjusting your thought process. The Cambridge packets and individual PTs are the raw test material meant for you to *engage* those skills that you are building.

I guess my ultimate question is how do I make sure that I'm not spoiling my preptests while using all these different products? I want have at least 20 or so to gauge my progress and to accurately predict my score. I'm assuming that each company is going to have its own philosophy about which tests to draw from for their examples and explanations and I don't want to end up with not enough material to go through as the exam approaches.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:44 pm

Hatshepsut wrote:
I guess my ultimate question is how do I make sure that I'm not spoiling my preptests while using all these different products? I want have at least 20 or so to gauge my progress and to accurately predict my score. I'm assuming that each company is going to have its own philosophy about which tests to draw from for their examples and explanations and I don't want to end up with not enough material to go through as the exam approaches.

None of the books imho use anything from the more recent preptests. Most of them pull from the 2007 free test (the trainer does this) or 1-2 other tests due to licensing issues. PTs 40-70 are safe for PTing without repeating questions. You might repeat in the 1-38 obviously, but that is mostly irrelevant.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:26 pm

rebexness wrote:None of the books imho use anything from the more recent preptests. Most of them pull from the 2007 free test (the trainer does this) or 1-2 other tests due to licensing issues. PTs 40-70 are safe for PTing without repeating questions. You might repeat in the 1-38 obviously, but that is mostly irrelevant.

Just agreeing with this. Most of the self-study books pull largely from earlier tests, with a few bits from more modern stuff. I used multiple different "programs" yet found that the overlap was normally minimal. I had no issue keeping a large amount of modern PTs fresh for use. Each program will approach the problems slightly differently, so even though you may have seen it before, you'll gain an additional perspective. For me I ending up using a hybrid method that was a little bit of each, with a whole lot of my own personal methods. I had more than 20 PTs that hadn't even been touched by the prep resources, so you should be good.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”