Retake or not.

samblackbones

Retake or not.

Postby samblackbones » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:10 pm

So I took my first LSAT december admin. Scored 168 with -7 on logic games, -1 RC, -2 and -4 respectively for LR sections. Studied logic games only via testmasters on-line.
Question is is it worth it to study up on logic games and improve in Feb. I hadn't thought about shooting for t14 until I got my results. Was planning on going to U San Diego or UC Irvine. w/ a 3.62 LSDAS GPA. Would a better feb test improve my chances THIS cycle? My fiance is graduating nursing school this year (UC Irvine) so we want to go somewhere where the nursing job market is strong (eg Nashville). She doesn't want me to go through the stress of another test, but it seems like I stand a reasonable chance of improvement.
Any advice? Should I take another diagnostic and see how well I can do? I have no other obligations at the moment so have unlimited time to study.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

p89sean16

Re: Retake or not.

Postby p89sean16 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:15 pm

I can relate re: the sig other and stress of re-taking. However, I retook and it greatly improved my score and chances at top schools.

-7 on LG can be whittled down to a -1 to -2 pretty easily, and that would really make your score great. Try the Manhattan LSAT Logic Games books, worked wonders for me. The difference between a 168 and 174 or so without those -7 on LG is gigantic and would pay for itself tenfold.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:49 pm

samblackbones wrote:So I took my first LSAT december admin. Scored 168 with -7 on logic games, -1 RC, -2 and -4 respectively for LR sections. Studied logic games only via testmasters on-line.
Question is is it worth it to study up on logic games and improve in Feb. I hadn't thought about shooting for t14 until I got my results. Was planning on going to U San Diego or UC Irvine. w/ a 3.62 LSDAS GPA. Would a better feb test improve my chances THIS cycle? My fiance is graduating nursing school this year (UC Irvine) so we want to go somewhere where the nursing job market is strong (eg Nashville). She doesn't want me to go through the stress of another test, but it seems like I stand a reasonable chance of improvement.
Any advice? Should I take another diagnostic and see how well I can do? I have no other obligations at the moment so have unlimited time to study.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Even though 168 with 3.62 GPA gives you decent chances for some T14 schools, a 170+ score would significantly increase your chances and would make you a pretty strong applicant for most T14 schools. Since you threw away 7 points on LG, the easiest section to master, and you have the skills to be near perfect on the other, harder to improve sections, there really is no reason you wouldn't be able to shore up your LG performance to near perfect with a moderate amount of additional prep focused on LGs.

In light of those circumstances, I think it would be silly not to re-take. Also, you should be looking at much better/higher ranked schools than San Diego and UCI with your numbers. You are already in good shape to have decent admission chances at USC, UCLA and other T1 schools with your current numbers! It would be a shame to waste those potential opportunities and not to shoot for a higher LSAT score to max out your potential opportunities at T14 schools. A 170+ LSAT score with your GPA could easily be worth a lot of scholly $$ at some highly ranked schools. It would be a shame to walk away from those potential opportunities just to avoid the extra stress of prepping for the LSAT again since the extra work and stress could literally be worth over $100k+ of direct $$ in the form of scholly $$. Be greedy and re-take!

samblackbones

Postby samblackbones » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:33 am

Retaking.
Purchased Logic Games Bible and some other stuff. Going to try and make this a fun challenge for myself so I don't burn out and keep a good mindset test day.
Thanks for the advice guys.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”