How do you study again after not studying for 3 months! HELP

Lwoods1020

How do you study again after not studying for 3 months! HELP

Postby Lwoods1020 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:51 pm

I took the LSAT in October for the first time and received a 159. I need at least a 162 on the Feb LSAT to boost my scholarship from a school I have already been accepted to.

Does anyone have any advice besides holing up in my house for a month and studying my ass off? I have the official actual prep tests and power score books

W$RKliveWELL

Re: How do you study again after not studying for 3 months! HELP

Postby W$RKliveWELL » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:09 pm

Let me tell you your not alone and I have absolutely no clue. I've just been taking it day by day and reminding myself why I'm doing it. Also starting by really working on what I was weakest in last time helps to motivate me daily.

BPlaura

Postby BPlaura » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:48 pm

This is definitely a situation where there is more than one "right answer," but if I were you, I'd:

1. Take a PT to see how rusty you are/where you need the most work
2. Determine what skills/areas are "rustiest" and review the applicable sections of whatever book you used
3. Drill
4. Take another PT
5. Rinse, repeat

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:32 pm

I'm in the same boat lol

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:40 pm

BPlaura wrote:This is definitely a situation where there is more than one "right answer," but if I were you, I'd:

2. Determine what skills/areas are "rustiest" and review the applicable sections of whatever book you used
3. Drill
4. Take another PT
5. Rinse, repeat

Nailed it.

OP it's really no different than before: take a diagnostic and then drill/PT accordingly

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:59 pm

Fiero85 wrote:
BPlaura wrote:This is definitely a situation where there is more than one "right answer," but if I were you, I'd:

3. Drill
4. Take another PT
5. Rinse, repeat

Nailed it.

OP it's really no different than before: take a diagnostic and then drill/PT accordingly

Thank you all, and pray for me.

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:15 pm

Definitely doable. I did no studying for nearly two years in between my takes :/ It was pretty daunting at first to even think about getting back on the wagon. Think of it as an opportunity to start fresh, and first concentrate on eliminating any bad habits. Maybe try out some new materials, such as the Trainer or Manhattan, and definitely re-read the literature you already have. Re-use any PTs and drills, but be honest about what you've retained - I re-used nearly all my materials, but I had a longer long time to genuinely forget them.

Good luck!

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:41 pm

I did 1/2 of a practice exam and help the same burn out I did after studying for 5 months. It's not that the sections went badly, I am PTing around what I did back then, I just cant find it in me to continue. Even if I get the three more points, they're not going to give me 10k more, maybe at a 165 they would but I don't think I am gonna make it to there.

After spending 600 dollars on schools I won't even go to, I feel I am not going to spend anymore on it. I may have to let this school go.

Maybe I'll feel differently tomorrow. I just already feel burnt out.

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:53 pm

With apps being down I'm not trying to pay sticker at all. I'd take a full ride to Tulane before I payed three years of sticker at say Vanderbilt. Especially with the job market how it is.

I'd rather waste three years getting a degree with minimal debt. Then go three years, no job, and 150K in debt. This theory only works for the T-50, maybe some T-100 regional schools if you want to stay in the area.

squee116

Postby squee116 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:09 am

Same-ish boat.

I've been chipping away at the logic games bible (about 1/4 of it a day over the past 3 days). It's hard to stay focused, despite my motivation being high. I remember studying for my first LSAT, I had a much easier time studying outside of the house (coffee shops, libraries, Denny's, etc.) Maybe I'll have to give that a whirl again.

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:49 am

I have been taking practice exams the last few days.. anyone think its possbile to go from a 159 (that's where I am scoring) to a 163-165 for the Feb LSAT?

ojalili1990

Postby ojalili1990 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:18 pm

same boat :(

Christine (MLSAT)

Postby Christine (MLSAT) » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:45 pm

BPLaura's got a great general plan above.

The kicker here is sorting out where your skills are on which items, and a lot of that depends on how you studied the first time. The (unfortunate) reality is that you don't have a lot of time between now and the exam for a grand epiphany on That Subject You Never Quite Understood. So don't waste your time trying to eke out one more point one something you're not likely to master in under a month.

Focus on the things that are:
1) rusty, but relearnable - make them *perfect*
2) difficult, but within your (immediate) potential grasp - get over the hump

This is the middle ground where you can make headway in the short term. Don't waste your time on the things that would take you months to perfect. Similarly, once you solidly 'relearn' something that's in your pocket, don't remain in orbit on that just because it's comfortable. Move on to the next thing you can reasonably expect to master.

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:25 am

Christine (MLSAT) wrote:BPLaura's got a great general plan above.

The kicker here is sorting out where your skills are on which items, and a lot of that depends on how you studied the first time. The (unfortunate) reality is that you don't have a lot of time between now and the exam for a grand epiphany on That Subject You Never Quite Understood. So don't waste your time trying to eke out one more point one something you're not likely to master in under a month.

Focus on the things that are:
1) rusty, but relearnable - make them *perfect*
2) difficult, but within your (immediate) potential grasp - get over the hump

This is the middle ground where you can make headway in the short term. Don't waste your time on the things that would take you months to perfect. Similarly, once you solidly 'relearn' something that's in your pocket, don't remain in orbit on that just because it's comfortable. Move on to the next thing you can reasonably expect to master.

Excellent advice thank you :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”