Timing Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
eddiemen2a

New

Timing

Post by eddiemen2a » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:06 am

I'm trying to get timing down as February 8th approaches. My best PT score has been a 167 but I allowed around 5 extra minutes per section for completion. My best LR has been -4. Today I tried the "10 in 10" technique but that ended bad--- accuracy was so off. Maybe it was also that I was tired and sleepy when attempting the technique. Regardless, my timing needs be improved. Should I continue trying to get the 10 in 10 to work, or simply go on as I have been(allowing extra time) until my speed builds naturally? Thanks in advance. LSAT is a month away!

Clearly

Gold

Re: Timing

Post by Clearly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:15 am

If ten in ten isn't happening for you, there is a lot more skill and practice to be had. A lot of LR timing comes from pattern recognition and seeing them go to the same thing over and over again and quickly prephrasing it.

eddiemen2a

New

Post by eddiemen2a » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:21 am

More practice it is. Should I postpone the test till June? I will not be applying until the fall, for the fall of 2015.. one problem with that us I'm taking 6 classes this semester and classes in the summer as well, so I figured taking it in February would be my best bet.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:23 am

If you are applying next cycle, the correct answer is take when you are most ready, which very well may be June. How long have you been studying / how much material do you have left?

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:26 am

What is your method to approaching LR questions?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eddiemen2a

New

Post by eddiemen2a » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:29 am

Since August but most of the time it's been on top of school. I did LG bible twice and did half of LR reasoning bible. I usually get -2 on LG In 37 mins.... After I did half the LR bible I started doing drills from the 10 actual series starting from the oldest one. I just now actually ordered the most recent one along with prep test 62. I also continued the LR bible today. Maybe I should reconsider the Feb and take it in June.... Would canceling do any harm to my application?

eddiemen2a

New

Post by eddiemen2a » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:33 am

Ill usually read the stim and circle any words I find important (many, some, etc). Then I isolate the conclusion and the premise that leads the author to come to that conclusion. I then read the question and eliminate usually 3 answers and then go back to the stim. Of course, this is a very brief description. I'm very hesitant. Which under time is not good

eddiemen2a

New

Post by eddiemen2a » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:37 am

Its like I give EVERY answer the benefit of the doubt. I spend alot of time proving answers wrong rather than circling and moving on... just hesitant I guess.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:38 am

I would try a couple sections by reading the question stem first. I'm not saying this is the right way for everyone, but I was also having timing issues with LR and making this transition helped me tons. I know it seems like this will actually add to your time, but in the long run it helped me because it gave me something to focus on when I was reading the stim and get through the aggregate faster. Also, I would try a couple sections without underlining anything, and instead trying to isolate or focus on the key words mentally.

$.02
Last edited by acr on Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:39 am

either stick to 35 (or less) minutes, or do them untimed, but trust me from experience giving yourself slack is going to screw you in the end.

Also, try doing them without underlining or circling, the catch is usually in how the parts interact with each other, circling this and that doesn't uncover that anyway, and at least for me is harmful to a greater understanding.

eddiemen2a

New

Post by eddiemen2a » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:45 am

The main reason I do it is concentration-- it helps me focus. My RC passages has circled everywhere.... They're useless but they help me focus... But I'll try doing it mentally. So what would you suggest doing as practice? I usually do a section(s) and then review my mistakes followed by facepalming because of my mistakes. Haha but seriously.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:51 am

eddiemen2a wrote:The main reason I do it is concentration-- it helps me focus. My RC passages has circled everywhere.... They're useless but they help me focus... But I'll try doing it mentally. So what would you suggest doing as practice? I usually do a section(s) and then review my mistakes followed by facepalming because of my mistakes. Haha but seriously.
1) Select Logical Reasoning section of your choosing.
2) Set timer to 32 or 33 minutes.
3) Work through Logical Reasoning section.
-Read the question stem first.
-Try your best to avoid unnecessary underlining.
-Make sure you're practicing with a bubble sheet if possible.
4) Check your answers.
5) Review your mistakes and write out explanations why they're incorrect. (I used the free explanations on Manhattan LSAT's website, but there are other resources)
6) Look for patterns in your misses. (i.e., if you notice you're missing assumption questions, review the assumption section in the LR Bible)
7) Repeat.

That was my approach and I scored -2 on LR overall.

eddiemen2a

New

Post by eddiemen2a » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:54 am

Excellent.... I'm gonna try that. Manhattan? Could you provide me a link? Please!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:56 am

eddiemen2a wrote:Excellent.... I'm gonna try that. Manhattan? Could you provide me a link? Please!
http://www.manhattanlsat.com

Type the first four or five words of the stimulus into the search bar and they have the explanation for almost every question.

eddiemen2a

New

Post by eddiemen2a » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:58 am

Wow. That's golden. Thank you so much!

CocoSunshine

New

Post by CocoSunshine » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:13 am

I'm sure few of us read LR Bible these days. Go get manhattan LR.

eddiemen2a

New

Post by eddiemen2a » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:10 am

Okay I just ordered Manhattan, should get to me by Saturday. Should I even finish the LR bible?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”