The "should have gotten it right" conundrum?

WaltGrace83

The "should have gotten it right" conundrum?

Postby WaltGrace83 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:32 pm

We have all been there I think. I just took my first set of timed LR sections (up to chapter 16) in the trainer and I looked at some of these questions and immediately thought to myself, "I should have gotten that right!" I got a 20/26: on three I narrowed it down to two answers and picked the wrong one, on two I just felt rushed and didn't read the answer choice thoroughly, and on one I glossed over a word that ended up changing the whole meaning of the AC. Now I know I got a -6. I don't want to make excuses to myself. However, is there a way to make absolutely sure that some of these simple mistakes don't happen again? At least 3 of them were perfectly preventable mistakes.

milkandcheerios

Re: The "should have gotten it right" conundrum?

Postby milkandcheerios » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:37 pm

careless mistakes are always a possibility, no matter how much you've studied. Just remember them for next time and don't agonize too much. You just have to keep taking PTs and drilling, there's no magic solution to preventing "stupid mistakes"

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:47 pm

One thing that has helped me (and that I read on TLS - can't remember who or where though) for LR is keeping in mind that there are NEVER two correct answers. This seems obvious, but when I narrow a question down to two possible answers, it always helps me to remind myself that one of them is right, and the other is wrong (as opposed to both being "kind of" right). This helps me to really look at every part of the question, and most of the time it turns out I missed or glossed over one key word or phrase that makes one of the questions indisputably right and the other indisputably wrong. This, of course, is dependent on having enough time to really think about these things and go over the question again. Over time you'll get quicker and quicker at the easy ones so that you have enough time to go back to the ones you aren't 100% on.

I agree that there's no really foolproof way to never again make ANY stupid, preventable mistakes. Just try to read as carefully as possible and you will make fewer and fewer.

SecondWind

Postby SecondWind » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:26 pm

One thing that really helped me when I narrowed it down to two answers, is I didn't sit there and compare the two answers to each other to decide which was "better". Instead, I compared each answer to the stimulus and question stem then tried to eliminate or confirm an answer base off that.

BPlaura

Postby BPlaura » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:13 am

xylocarp wrote:This seems obvious, but when I narrow a question down to two possible answers, it always helps me to remind myself that one of them is right, and the other is wrong (as opposed to both being "kind of" right).

I want to get this tattooed on my forehead just so that my students will never forget it. As my LSAT instructor would say, "One answer is correct, and the other four are garbage." You should never be trying to figure out which answer choice is "better" - you should be trying to figure out what makes one of the answer choices completely incorrect.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”