Advice on whether to take the Feb LSAT or not.

BobBlahLawBlog

Advice on whether to take the Feb LSAT or not.

Postby BobBlahLawBlog » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:18 pm

Took the June 2013 LSAT and scored a 144. Took a Kaplan prep course from March-May while finishing up a BA in History.
Took the Oct. 2013 LSAT and scored a 140.

Lost a leg in a traumatic accident in May pre-test and have been high as a kite since the accident until recently.

I've currently been self-prepping with Powerscores LG and LR bibles, stopped smoking marijuana as well as cigarettes. Only coffee remains.

Currently scoring 150-159 on PT's. Goal is 165.

Advice?

inlovewithpiper

Re: Advice on whether to take the Feb LSAT or not.

Postby inlovewithpiper » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:31 pm

BobBlahLawBlog wrote:Took the June 2013 LSAT and scored a 144. Took a Kaplan prep course from March-May while finishing up a BA in History.
Took the Oct. 2013 LSAT and scored a 140.

Lost a leg in a traumatic accident in May pre-test and have been high as a kite since the accident until recently.

I've currently been self-prepping with Powerscores LG and LR bibles, stopped smoking marijuana as well as cigarettes. Only coffee remains.

Currently scoring 150-159 on PT's. Goal is 165.

Advice?

Oh my god. I am so sorry to hear about your accident. That is truly horrible.

In light of that, though, I would suggest asking yourself if law school really needs to happen right now (as in entering this fall). It might be to your benefit to take a year off, recuperate, and make your plan of attack for the LSAT. No matter what you decide to do, schools will most certainly understand the June score if you write a short addendum.

d cooper

Postby d cooper » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:50 pm

Don't do it! Expect to score 2-3 points below your PT average. You'll likely score in the low 150s if you take the LSAT in February. Since this is your third administration in the given two-year period, you want to make sure you hit your target.

Better would be to study hard for June or October of this year. With a goal of 165, you shouldn't sit for the exam until you are consistently scoring 169+ on your PTs.

(And pick up the Manhattan LSAT bundle for self-study.)

BobBlahLawBlog

Postby BobBlahLawBlog » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:11 pm

In light of that, though, I would suggest asking yourself if law school really needs to happen right now (as in entering this fall). It might be to your benefit to take a year off, recuperate, and make your plan of attack for the LSAT. No matter what you decide to do, schools will most certainly understand the June score if you write a short addendum.

Yeah, I feel like I rushed taking it in June and October. Thanks! I might apply to a graduate program to boost my existing meager GPA.

Don't do it! Expect to score 2-3 points below your PT average. You'll likely score in the low 150s if you take the LSAT in February. Since this is your third administration in the given two-year period, you want to make sure you hit your target.

Better would be to study hard for June or October of this year. With a goal of 165, you shouldn't sit for the exam until you are consistently scoring 169+ on your PTs.

"You want to make sure you hit your target." That's good advice. I forgot that it can only be taken three times in a two-year period. Thanks. I'm looking at the bundle on Amazon right now.

inlovewithpiper

Postby inlovewithpiper » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:33 pm

BobBlahLawBlog wrote:

Yeah, I feel like I rushed taking it in June and October. Thanks! I might apply to a graduate program to boost my existing meager GPA.

"You want to make sure you hit your target." That's good advice. I forgot that it can only be taken three times in a two-year period. Thanks. I'm looking at the bundle on Amazon right now.

Just as a piece of advice, LSAC only takes into consideration your undergrad GPA (before a first degree is conferred) when calculating the GPA that law schools will use. That's not to say, of course, that a graduate program wouldn't benefit you vis-a-vis soft factors, but it won't increase the GPA that anyone on this site or otherwise will use to gauge your chances at particular schools. :D

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:38 pm

Don't take feb. You only have one chance left for next cycle.

Study and wait until June/Oct so that you can be consistently PTing above your target score.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:27 am

Nova wrote:Don't take feb. You only have one chance left for next cycle.

Study and wait until June/Oct so that you can be consistently PTing above your target score.

100% this ^

Use time to your advantage for more prep instead of letting it be your enemy by rushing into the Feb test without solidly being in your target range.

Making the jump from mid-high 150s to consistently scoring in the mid 160s is a much more difficult jump to make than 150 to high 150s and can take more time to accomplish.

To go from ~155 to 165 you need to cut the number you get wrong by roughly 45%. For example, on the Dec2013 test you can miss 38 for a 155 but only 22 for 165. Cutting your misses by nearly half at that level is more difficult than getting to up mid-high 150s since the remaining points to be gained are mostly from questions of higher difficulty levels than most of the questions you are currently getting your points from. Getting good at accurately solving the higher difficulty level LR questions is critical and takes significantly improving your LR skills, not just get faster at the test. To get 165+ you need to be near perfect with each section (roughly -5 max per section), which means you need to be able to get all of the medium-hard and most of the hard questions correct per section since those are all that's left you aren't already getting correct once you get close to 160.

Basically, as you climb up on the scale from high 150s into 160s and up, each of the additional raw points you need to get to further increase your score are harder to get and require better skills than the points you are already getting since they are mostly questions on the high end of the difficulty scale, at least in LR and RC. There is typically about a handful of pretty hard/tricky LR questions per section. If you don't get all those correct, you need to be perfect with zero careless mistakes on all the other questions in the section.

Save your last take for when you know you are really ready to max out your potential, which means take more time to prep. Sucks about your accident, my condolences.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”