I got murdered on my first LSAT- Am I done for with T10?

TheGreatJustice

I got murdered on my first LSAT- Am I done for with T10?

Postby TheGreatJustice » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:11 pm

I was Pt'ing in the high 160s and even got to 171-172 a couple times. I don't know what happened during the actual test. I got a 158. I was in denial at first, but sure enough all my answers were there. I was so ashamed of myself, I didn't know how this could happen. I got -17 out of the LR (both together) when usually I get -2 to -4. I got -9 on the RC when usually I get -1 or -2. Where I usually do worst (LG), I did best, I got -6 which is acceptable. I rushed, I panicked, I was stupid. It's as if I forget all the tactics I used before.

I am a third year student in Canada and this was my first LSAT, and although I wanted to go to law school since high school, I didn't expect to apply until my forth, but I thought I'd put my hat in the ring and just get a general degree instead of finishing 4 years. I only studied for the LSAT for two months (since I didn't thing of applying this year till school started in Sept). I have decided to finish my honours (the fourth year) and apply again next cycle with a higher LSAT score.

Lately I've had thoughts about applying to Harvard, Stanford, and Columbia as well as in Canada after finishing my honours next year (my GPA is about 3.95), after retaking the LSAT and hopefully redeeming myself with a score in the mid 170s.

Two questions:

How screwed am I with Harvard, Stanford and Columbia because of the first LSAT? If it's relevant, I had parents leaving the country two days after the LSAT (to Iraq if that adds anything), I had to take an extra shift at work (family business, I had no choice). So I was under much more stress than usual.

Should I take the June or October LSAT? Taking it in June would allow me to have a month of nothing to do but study for the LSAT and the test would be at noon instead of 8:30. But taking it in October would give me the entire summer to study.

Let me just end this by again saying how ashamed I am of myself.

d cooper

Re: I got murdered on my first LSAT- Am I done for with T10?

Postby d cooper » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:25 pm

Many retakers got into H this cycle — it's a tiebreaker at best. I can't really speak about YS.

Aim for June and delay to October if you're not scoring where you want to be.

Louis1127

Postby Louis1127 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:37 pm

TheGreatJustice wrote:I was Pt'ing in the high 160s and even got to 171-172 a couple times. I don't know what happened during the actual test. I got a 158. I was in denial at first, but sure enough all my answers were there. I was so ashamed of myself, I didn't know how this could happen. I got -17 out of the LR (both together) when usually I get -2 to -4. I got -9 on the RC when usually I get -1 or -2. Where I usually do worst (LG), I did best, I got -6 which is acceptable. I rushed, I panicked, I was stupid. It's as if I forget all the tactics I used before.

I am a third year student in Canada and this was my first LSAT, and although I wanted to go to law school since high school, I didn't expect to apply until my forth, but I thought I'd put my hat in the ring and just get a general degree instead of finishing 4 years. I only studied for the LSAT for two months (since I didn't thing of applying this year till school started in Sept). I have decided to finish my honours (the fourth year) and apply again next cycle with a higher LSAT score.

Lately I've had thoughts about applying to Harvard, Stanford, and Columbia as well as in Canada after finishing my honours next year (my GPA is about 3.95), after retaking the LSAT and hopefully redeeming myself with a score in the mid 170s.

Two questions:

How screwed am I with Harvard, Stanford and Columbia because of the first LSAT? If it's relevant, I had parents leaving the country two days after the LSAT (to Iraq if that adds anything), I had to take an extra shift at work (family business, I had no choice). So I was under much more stress than usual.

Should I take the June or October LSAT? Taking it in June would allow me to have a month of nothing to do but study for the LSAT and the test would be at noon instead of 8:30. But taking it in October would give me the entire summer to study.

Let me just end this by again saying how ashamed I am of myself.

You achieved high practice tests, which means you CAN do it, so don't be too ashamed.

1. Just want to point out that there are other schools in the T10 than H, Y, and C.
2. If you are ready by June, take June. If you are not, take in Oct, which is actually Sept this year.

Edit: also, just make one thread next time.

TheGreatJustice

Postby TheGreatJustice » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:40 pm

Yea my bad, I didn't know what board to put this in.

And thank you for the reply. I'm still torn on taking June or October, but I'm leaning towards October just because of the extra 4 months of study.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:46 pm

edit
Last edited by lawschool2014hopeful on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGreatJustice

Postby TheGreatJustice » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:50 pm

jimmierock wrote:Similar story man, almost too similar.

Canadian here, took my first LSAT 3rd year as well, but in Oct. I got 159. I have a 4.1 GPA

I just got my Dec score, 170, applying for HS Columbia, Pen now.

If you really want it, dont give up, but the journey is going to suck alot.

Almost uncanny really.

You're in your 4th year now I presume though?

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:18 pm

TheGreatJustice wrote:Yea my bad, I didn't know what board to put this in.

And thank you for the reply. I'm still torn on taking June or October, but I'm leaning towards October just because of the extra 4 months of study.

You're already PTing in the high 160s/low 170s. Four months should be plenty of time to prepare for your next test. This way, if you do need that final retake, you could take the test in October instead of December and still have a very early application. As long as you really have been scoring in that range consistently, this sounds like it was terrible nerves rather than a poor understanding of the test. I would also really make it a goal to hit -0 to -1 on LG. It is the easiest section to improve on and the only part of the test where you can truly test answers mid-test to confirm you got it right. LG was never my strong suit, but being able to go from -6 to -1 or -0 will give you much more leeway to miss a few questions elsewhere.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”