AHH missed a 170 due to bubbling error

fuzzydunlap

AHH missed a 170 due to bubbling error

Postby fuzzydunlap » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:10 am

On the December LSAT I correctly changed the answer to a logic game question at the last minute but idiotically forgot to erase my original answer. Had I gotten the question right I would have had a 170 which with a 3.64 GPA would have given me around a 50% shot at Northwestern and Michigan. Now with a 169 I seem to be in the 30-40% chance range. FML.

bombaysippin

Re: AHH missed a 170 due to bubbling error

Postby bombaysippin » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:28 am

Yo I feel for you. On my first take I omitted a question. Like who the eff omits on the real deal?! If you decide to ever retake in the future, I'm willing to bet you'll never make this mistake again.

fuzzydunlap

Postby fuzzydunlap » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:31 am

I was shocked when I looked at my answer sheet and saw two bubbles filled in. Was desperately looking for any indication of streaks or something which would show I was trying to erase the original answer but didn't see any. Guess I'm just an idiot.
Last edited by fuzzydunlap on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Captainunaccountable

Postby Captainunaccountable » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:31 am

fuzzydunlap wrote:On the December LSAT I correctly changed the answer to a logic game question at the last minute but idiotically forgot to erase my original answer. Had I gotten the question right I would have had a 170 which with a 3.64 GPA would have given me around a 50% shot at Northwestern and Michigan. Now with a 169 I seem to be in the 30-40% chance range. FML.

I find a reason for every question I ever miss on any exam as to why I should have gotten it right; beating myself up endlessly. It happens. Be happy with what you got, it's great. You'll be fine I promise.

BPlaura

Postby BPlaura » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:31 am

fuzzydunlap wrote:Had I gotten the question right I would have had a 170 which with a 3.64 GPA would have given me around a 50% shot at Northwestern and Michigan. Now with a 169 I seem to be in the 30-40% chance range.

While that's definitely frustrating, I'd be surprised if a one-point difference in your LSAT score actually changed your chances that much. Law schools understand that there's a very fine line between a 169 and a 170, which is why your LSAT score report includes a score band.

Also, congrats on a great score! Silly mistakes notwithstanding, a 169 is nothing to sneeze at.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:27 pm

BPlaura wrote:
fuzzydunlap wrote:Had I gotten the question right I would have had a 170 which with a 3.64 GPA would have given me around a 50% shot at Northwestern and Michigan. Now with a 169 I seem to be in the 30-40% chance range.

While that's definitely frustrating, I'd be surprised if a one-point difference in your LSAT score actually changed your chances that much. Law schools understand that there's a very fine line between a 169 and a 170, which is why your LSAT score report includes a score band.

Also, congrats on a great score! Silly mistakes notwithstanding, a 169 is nothing to sneeze at.

It's not that schools think you are not capable of a 170, schools try and maintain a certain median. If that number is 170, you're 169 will be viewed negatively by the school. If it is a 169 or lower, it makes less of a difference.

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:26 am

BPlaura wrote: Law schools understand that there's a very fine line between a 169 and a 170, which is why your LSAT score report includes a score band.

Sort of off topic, but can you explain the meaning and relevance of the score band? Or were you referring to the conversion table?

BPlaura

Postby BPlaura » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:08 am

SteelPenguin wrote:It's not that schools think you are not capable of a 170, schools try and maintain a certain median. If that number is 170, you're 169 will be viewed negatively by the school. If it is a 169 or lower, it makes less of a difference.

Of course your actual score is the only thing that is taken into account when schools calculate their medians. But a one-point difference is small enough that it's not a huge deal, regardless of the school's median. Would a higher score be better? Sure, always. But even if a school's median is 170, a 169 is close enough that it's not going to be a HUGE deal.

JustHawkin wrote:Sort of off topic, but can you explain the meaning and relevance of the score band? Or were you referring to the conversion table?

The score band is not the same thing as the conversion table. If you look at your score report, next to your actual score, it will tell you a "score band" or a range of scores. Essentially, because there's a certain amount of luck involved when you take the LSAT, your score could just as easily have varied for a couple points, so the score band is intended to show that your actual proficiency level is somewhere in that range. Here's how LSAC explains it:

"Score bands are reported for all LSAT scores earned on the 120–180 score scale. They reflect the precision of the LSAT and are expressed as a range of scores that have a certain probability of containing your actual proficiency level. Score bands for the LSAT are designed to include your actual proficiency level approximately 68 percent of the time. These bands are reported to emphasize that LSAT scores are estimates of your actual proficiency level."

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:25 am

BPlaura wrote:The score band is not the same thing as the conversion table. If you look at your score report, next to your actual score, it will tell you a "score band" or a range of scores. Essentially, because there's a certain amount of luck involved when you take the LSAT, your score could just as easily have varied for a couple points, so the score band is intended to show that your actual proficiency level is somewhere in that range. Here's how LSAC explains it:

"Score bands are reported for all LSAT scores earned on the 120–180 score scale. They reflect the precision of the LSAT and are expressed as a range of scores that have a certain probability of containing your actual proficiency level. Score bands for the LSAT are designed to include your actual proficiency level approximately 68 percent of the time. These bands are reported to emphasize that LSAT scores are estimates of your actual proficiency level."

Do we have any knowledge on how this affects admissions or how ad comms view this?
For example one of my test's score bands is 8-10 points lower than my actual score...

BPlaura

Postby BPlaura » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:37 am

JustHawkin wrote:Do we have any knowledge on how this affects admissions or how ad comms view this?

It's not a huge factor. As SteelPenguin was saying, ultimately your actual score is what matters. I was just trying to make the point that a 169 is not actually very different from a 170 (aside from the psychological differences!).

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:39 am

BPlaura wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:Do we have any knowledge on how this affects admissions or how ad comms view this?

It's not a huge factor. As SteelPenguin was saying, ultimately your actual score is what matters. I was just trying to make the point that a 169 is not actually very different from a 170 (aside from the psychological differences!).

I understand, I just always wondered what it was and never really put the effort into researching it until this opportunity arose, thanks!

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:54 pm

BPlaura wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:It's not that schools think you are not capable of a 170, schools try and maintain a certain median. If that number is 170, you're 169 will be viewed negatively by the school. If it is a 169 or lower, it makes less of a difference.

Of course your actual score is the only thing that is taken into account when schools calculate their medians. But a one-point difference is small enough that it's not a huge deal, regardless of the school's median. Would a higher score be better? Sure, always. But even if a school's median is 170, a 169 is close enough that it's not going to be a HUGE deal.

I'm going to disagree to an extent. While it might not be a HUGE deal in your overall chances at most schools, a 1 point different can be pretty significant. If that 1 point puts you below a median, and if you are below their GPA median, that 1 point can really hurt your chances at that particular school.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”