Speed Reading Course

BlameCanada

Speed Reading Course

Postby BlameCanada » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:01 am

Has anyone taken a professional speed reading course? If you have do you think it will help with reading comp section of LSAT. Reviews of the course I'm looking at claim that speed doubles while comprehension increases a small amount per read.

WaltGrace83

Re: Speed Reading Course

Postby WaltGrace83 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:49 am

The one I took my first semester of college was an ABSOLUTE JOKE. Biggest waste of money. Class went like this: "ok guys, now really pick up the pace. I want you to read as fast as you possibly can. Don't worry so much about retention."

"Wow! See! I told you that you could do it! You read 80 pages in 30 seconds using our techniques!"
"But I don't remember anything. I don't even know what the book is about"
"Well that is why it is leisure reading"

I am only very mildly exaggerating here. My experiences might not be indicative of everyone's but even if it remotely is...stay away.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:51 am

Just don't do this.

Postby 03152016 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:55 am

I'm dubious about that kind of stuff. You're not looking to race through the passage, and it would frankly surprise me if you could reliably increase comprehension using such a method.

I read quickly but carefully. I don't skim or take shortcuts. If it's a hard passage, I don't hesitate to allow myself an extra minute. Starting a 5k by sprinting might get you ahead at the start of a race, but it's ultimately self-defeating. Same thing here. Read the passage expediently but don't over-do it unless you're okay with going on a wild goose chase later.

How can you really improve your speed on RC? The number one RC pacing mistake I see people make is agonizing over a couple of contenders. Sometimes they do so for a minute or more. If you're running out of time on RC, you have to learn to keep things moving. Sometimes to win you have to lose. I'm not going to sabotage my entire fourth passage because I wanted to improve my chances of answering Q15 right from 50-50 to 70-30.

This is especially true for the first few questions of each set. RC questions are a two-way street; I answer a question, and now I gain a better understanding of the passage. If I can't answer the third question, I don't stress skipping it, knowing that I'll probably have more context after answering four through seven.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:07 am

Clearly wrote:Just don't do this.

This.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:32 am

it is guaranteed not to work, in life, or on the test. It is the Princeton Review recommended method if that tells you anything. They use matrices for LG and say to only do the first 15 of LR.

knicker

Postby knicker » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:43 am

Pneumonia wrote:it is guaranteed not to work, in life, or on the test. It is the Princeton Review recommended method if that tells you anything. They use matrices for LG and say to only do the first 15 of LR.

Ha! I used a princeton review book to study for the GRE until I realized that they had wrong answers for about 10% of their math questions. I thought I was going insane until I found a bunch of reviews online with same complaints.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”