Retake in February, help chances at acceptance off waitlist?

lawskool234

Retake in February, help chances at acceptance off waitlist?

Postby lawskool234 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:49 pm

Hi there,

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find this is in any of the forums I looked into.

I applied for the 2013-2014 cycle, and have a pretty low GPA (3.3). I've taken the LSAT twice, highest score being 169. My cycle has been pretty good so far, but I was just waitlisted at UVA and am anticipating a similar fate at similarly ranked schools.

I am willing to take the LSAT again in February, but would that even matter at this point this cycle? For example, NYU doesn't accept February LSAT scores, but if I am ultimately waitlisted and get a February score back that is in the 171-173 range (my PTing score), can I send them my updated score and have that count for something? Would that Feb score count towards their rankings if I am accepted, or since they don't take Feb scores for this cycle would they not care?

I have a stable job at a V20 firm, so sitting out the cycle wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd rather not if I can retake in Feb and have it make a dent in my waitlist acceptances.

Thanks!!

SteelPenguin

Re: Retake in February, help chances at acceptance off waitlist?

Postby SteelPenguin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:22 pm

I retook in June last year and was admitted off of a couple waitlists. I would also bet that NYU would report your retake score if you were admitted, even if they do not officially accept Feb scores. I ultimately decided to reapply anyway, but retaking in Feb/June can be a lot less stressful, especially when you already have such a great LSAT score.

lawskool234

Re: Retake in February, help chances at acceptance off waitlist?

Postby lawskool234 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:11 pm

Thanks for replying. Yeah, it doesn't seem like I have much to lose if I'm confident that I can score higher by even a few points. I still need to think about it though :?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”