Retake: February or June??? Need advice!!!

shkang89

Retake: February or June??? Need advice!!!

Postby shkang89 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:51 am

I took my first test on October 2013, but cancelled that one. I retook the test on December and got a disappointing 156.

So with only one chance remaining, I need to decide whether to take the test on February or June. (I will be taking the test outside the US so I have a month and a half left until the Feb test.)

I had been consistently getting mid 160s and on a good day low 170 on my prep tests, so the result was rather disappointing. My weakness is the game section and that's where I did horribly on the Dec test.

My goal is to get 165 and be accepted into one of top 20 schools. Is it unrealistic to increase about 10 points within less than two months? Should I just go for the June test?

And do you have any advice as in where to restart my study? I already went through all 70 PTs (PTs from 50 to70 twice).

1Lin2015

Re: Retake: February or June??? Need advice!!!

Postby 1Lin2015 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:27 am

Sorry to hear your December LSAT didnt go as planned. In terms of a retake, a month and a half doesn't seem enough to secure a 165+ in your position. If you have the time, I would recommend June. Taking it June would mean you are sitting out this cycle, but if you have a high GPA, it would be a shame to match that up with a 156.

In terms of studying, it seems that you need to take a step back from drilling. Go back to basics. Meaning, study the concepts behind the test. Pick up the Bibles/MLSAT/the Trainer and rebuild your foundation, get accuracy up, and then work on timing. In particular, this will be useful because you likely have questions from 50-70 committed to memory. Drilling these any more will just waste your time.

A last note: Maybe the Cambridge packets will be useful in your position. From my understanding, questions in the packets are ordered by difficulty and type. This will cement your foundation from the prepbooks and doing questions in a different order will limit any advantage you might retain from memory.

NotASpecialSnowflake

Re: Retake: February or June??? Need advice!!!

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:35 am

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but you should probably re-take in June. You just don't have enough time.

Have you tried powerscore? They are the best company for games imo. Games went from my worst section to my favorite after I took a class with them, and most people say their bibles are just as good.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”