Am I being realistic?

Bigfish41

Am I being realistic?

Postby Bigfish41 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:36 am

After some golden advice from the TLS community, I decided to sit out this cycle and retake the LSAT. My first LSAT score was 153 and I have a 3.7 GPA. I am going to utilize Noodley's guide and do whatever it takes to get into the t-14. How realistic is a 170+? I only studied for two months for the previous administrations. How many months of prepping is sufficient? Are the Manhattan lsat prep more superior than the PS bibles?

FlyingNorth

Re: Am I being realistic?

Postby FlyingNorth » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:05 am

Yeah, man. With a GPA like that, you should definitely retake and it's very possible to score a 170+ on top of that. Sign up for June or Oct (Sept?) and study for however long it takes you to consistently score at or above that range before the test. Also, a combination of both books will work well.

GL

Louis1127

Postby Louis1127 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:25 am

Bigfish41 wrote: How realistic is a 170+?

Some think anyone can get to 170+ and it just takes certain ppl longer, while others think that everyone has a ceiling and some ppl's ceiling is below 170.

What your ceiling is doesn't matter, because you can't change it. If everyone could choose their ceiling, we'd all pick 180. What matters is whether or not you hit your ceiling- you CAN control that.

Below is a link to the TLS study group for June. We have takers starting from all over the spectrum. High diags, low diags, we're everywhere. See you there.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=211248

Bigfish41

Postby Bigfish41 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:51 am

Thanks guys. I'll be retaking the September exam. I am wrapping up my last semester and working. I think the June exam would be too much on top of school and work. I think a contributing factor for my abysmal score was 20+ credit load.

That's what I was wondering. If there is such notion of a ceiling or with enough diligence anyone can score 170+. I just hate mediocrity, so I guess it's going to be t-14 or bust. Even though I'll be taking the test in the fall, I'll keep an eye out for the June 2014 thread. See what kind of awesome ideas you all have :lol:

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:11 am

153 is really good place to start; plenty of people improve from there into the high 170's. Idk how much you studied to get that 153 though, so if it was a lot then obviously its not where you're "starting." What was your diagnostic?

I've seen a 130 scorer get into the 170's. Study hard and you can do well.

Bigfish41

Postby Bigfish41 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:30 am

Pneumonia wrote:153 is really good place to start; plenty of people improve from there into the high 170's. Idk how much you studied to get that 153 though, so if it was a lot then obviously its not where you're "starting." What was your diagnostic?

I've seen a 130 scorer get into the 170's. Study hard and you can do well.

Umm I don't know whether it's considered a start haha. My initial diagnostic was 150. So I guess a three point increase is humiliating. I am absolutely sure something was wrong with my studying methods. I used the Blueprint online movie and did all the homework. I studied daily 4 hrs for about two months. However, I do feel that I must have done something wrong. Upon answering questions, I didn't concentrate on the wrong/right answers--just cared whether I got it right or wrong.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:46 am

3 points isn't humiliating considering that you don't feel that you studied effectively. The BP materials are first rate, but completing the course obviously didn't do anything to help, nor should it have. You have to understand the methods, and make them your own. Did you understand the various methods for LR and LG, or were you just getting through the videos?

Bigfish41

Postby Bigfish41 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:08 am

Pneumonia wrote: Did you understand the various methods for LR and LG, or were you just getting through the videos?

LG was by far my best section. The best I've done is -2/-1. I feel like I somewhat got the LR methods.The reading comp is what kills me. I basically treat it like any other reading section. A lot of people on TLS recommend the Manhattan RC book as a guide.
So, I guess I shall purchase the manhattan books and use it concurrently with the Powerscore bibles. If I can get a discout from BP I am willing to take their live course, if not then I'll just self study.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:13 am

Bigfish41 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote: Did you understand the various methods for LR and LG, or were you just getting through the videos?

LG was by far my best section. The best I've done is -2/-1. I feel like I somewhat got the LR methods.The reading comp is what kills me. I basically treat it like any other reading section. A lot of people on TLS recommend the Manhattan RC book as a guide.
So, I guess I shall purchase the manhattan books and use it concurrently with the Powerscore bibles. If I can get a discout from BP I am willing to take their live course, if not then I'll just self study.

Focus on tightening up your LG to -0 and on improving your LR, then worry about RC. It's hard to get better at RC, but it can be done. You may end up deciding the best thing is to just guess on the last passage and focus on the first three. It can be a hard decision to make but it is extremely effective.

Bigfish41

Postby Bigfish41 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:25 am

Thanks for the advice Pneumonia. It's greatly appreciated.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:31 am

Bigfish41 wrote:Thanks for the advice Pneumonia. It's greatly appreciated.

sure

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”