Leisure-Studying Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
inlovewithpiper

Bronze

Leisure-Studying

Post by inlovewithpiper » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:19 pm

When it comes to LSAT prep, one of my biggest study methods was to do a section every morning when I woke up while I was drinking my coffee and mentally getting ready for the day. I did this before class, work, shower--first thing in the morning, a section was completed. And I alternated between the three types every day to make sure one wasn't getting more practice than the other. I would say this was a big component of my studying, but certainly not the only one. I, of course, did some timed-PTs with full sections.

I did time each section done in the morning, but usually I broke it up (do a logic game, stop the timer, drink some coffee, look at Facebook, start timer and do another game, etc.). I scored a 165 last month, but I am ramping up studying for June. Do you think it's beneficial/harmful/neutral to continue doing my morning-section ritual? Or should I save those sections for full-length, timed-PTs and find another warm-up method to start my day?

bombaysippin

Gold

Re: Leisure-Studying

Post by bombaysippin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:51 pm

There are enough sections and enough tests that I think you would be fine to continue your ritual. As a retaker you've already probably seen a lot of material so if you have any real fresh PTs in full I would save those as full length tests. You could always warm up with sections you've seen before cause I am willing to assume you haven't memorized every single question and answer to sections you've seen before.

wealtheow

Silver

Post by wealtheow » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:57 pm

I think this is a great method to constantly staying in that LSAT mindset. I would just be sure that you are reviewing these sections closely in a less "relaxed" mode afterward, as well as making sure it's not reinforcing any bad habits. I'm not a morning person, but something similar I did was to work on LR during Walking Dead on Sundays, so it became a little "ritual" that made studying feel slightly less unpleasant.

Edit: Just processed that you are retaking in June. I would honestly save any newer sections (PTs 50 and up) that you haven't seen for timed PTs. Maybe use your morning ritual to review older PT sections or sections you have already done.

inlovewithpiper

Bronze

Post by inlovewithpiper » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:05 pm

I kept a little journal (called the LSAT Burn Book because after my June re-take, it will be introduced to a raging fire) with any and all questions from timed-PTs, morning-ritual sections, or any other questions I did that I missed. If I made a mistake, or even was tempted to, it's in the Burn Book. I think what I'll do is save my remaining PTs (I think I still have 49-now) for full-length practice and just pull morning questions from the journal.

Thanks, guys.

knicker

New

Post by knicker » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:16 pm

Just recycle old sections, like those from the PTs you've already taken. I've found that after about 2 weeks, I rarely remember a question. I also find that, even if I do remember, I can still force myself to work through the question logically.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patfeeney

Bronze

Post by patfeeney » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:17 pm

inlovewithpiper wrote:I kept a little journal (called the LSAT Burn Book because after my June re-take, it will be introduced to a raging fire) with any and all questions from timed-PTs, morning-ritual sections, or any other questions I did that I missed. If I made a mistake, or even was tempted to, it's in the Burn Book. I think what I'll do is save my remaining PTs (I think I still have 49-now) for full-length practice and just pull morning questions from the journal.

Thanks, guys.
What really helped me get from 165s to 173+ was writing explanations for all questions, whether right or wrong.

sashafierce

Bronze

Post by sashafierce » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:39 pm

patfeeney wrote:
inlovewithpiper wrote:I kept a little journal (called the LSAT Burn Book because after my June re-take, it will be introduced to a raging fire) with any and all questions from timed-PTs, morning-ritual sections, or any other questions I did that I missed. If I made a mistake, or even was tempted to, it's in the Burn Book. I think what I'll do is save my remaining PTs (I think I still have 49-now) for full-length practice and just pull morning questions from the journal.

Thanks, guys.
What really helped me get from 165s to 173+ was writing explanations for all questions, whether right or wrong.
I started doing this bit quit after a few days because it took way too much time. As someone employed full time, I have to try and maximize my study hours, although it was helping me it was keeping me from meeting my study schedule targets.

Nicolena.

Bronze

Post by Nicolena. » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:23 pm

Thanks, guys.
Did you recopy the whole question or just cut it out and then notate below? This really interests me. Thanks for the idea!

inlovewithpiper

Bronze

Post by inlovewithpiper » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:35 pm

Nicolena. wrote:

Thanks, guys.
Did you recopy the whole question or just cut it out and then notate below? This really interests me. Thanks for the idea!
I actually bought my PrepTests from Steve over @ LSATBlog in PDF format. So after I scored my tests, I would re-print the pages for the questions I missed, cut them out, and just tape or glue them into my book. Then I would write what type of question it was (sufficient or necessary assumption/strengthen/weaken/etc.) and then write the letter of the answer next to the question. I would tape a little flap of paper over the answer so when I reviewed the questions, I could just raise the flap to the answer. It worked quite well to get a sense of what types of questions I was missing and have a workbook I could review those questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”