June 2014 Retakers

User avatar
FlyingNorth
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:25 am

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby FlyingNorth » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:32 pm

rebexness wrote:
FlyingNorth wrote:RC drilling today with a sprinkling of Grouping Games.

Anyone else taking a PT this weekend?


PT 49/50
:roll:


Jesus reb, you've taken almost 10 already?

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby rebexness » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:34 pm

FlyingNorth wrote:
rebexness wrote:
FlyingNorth wrote:RC drilling today with a sprinkling of Grouping Games.

Anyone else taking a PT this weekend?


PT 49/50
:roll:


Jesus reb, you've taken almost 10 already?


Um. 39, 40, 41, 43, 47, 48 so far.

underwood15
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:47 am

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby underwood15 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:37 pm

Is anyone here retaking for more scholarship money after applying this cycle? How are you going to go about it--will schools actually increase scholly $ after June scores are released?

CJ2017
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:55 am

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby CJ2017 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:50 pm

underwood15 wrote:Is anyone here retaking for more scholarship money after applying this cycle? How are you going to go about it--will schools actually increase scholly $ after June scores are released?



That's what I am attempting to do. I've talked to quite a few people now that had success with this last year.

User avatar
dd235
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:33 am

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby dd235 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:56 pm

I just finished the Trainer today (read it for the second time) and then did some drilling. Went 79/80 on some level 1 and 2s. The one I missed was very frustrating.

I plan on taking either PT 66 or 67 tomorrow, reviewing it on Sunday, and then taking the next two weeks off (finals and then spring break).

I’ll start back up again April 1st. My plan is to read Manhattan Logic Reasoning w/ drilling for the first 2 weeks in April and then alternate days with drilling and PTing after that.

User avatar
foamborn
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby foamborn » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:57 pm

Hey guys, I'm over from the June 2014 Study thread, considering a move here given that I actually took the LSAT 3 years ago and cancelled. I had a question about a specific RC ? and wondered if y'all might help.

So PT 42 (Dec. '03) S. 3 (RC) Q. 9.

This question asks about the author's attitude. I narrowed it down to answers D & E. They both seemed viable. E seemed great given the final paragraph, but it didn't appear to me to be an option throughout the entirety of the passage. So, unfortunately, I chose answer D. In looking over it my assumption is that the reason the answer is E is that there's no indication that Lichtenstein's work is actually a "subtle critique." Therefore it's gotta be E. I just wanted to see if people agree with that, or, did I miss some tonal indicators? Or maybe something else? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Also, it's good to see people PTing here.

-foam

User avatar
myoung7189
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:51 am

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby myoung7189 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:26 am

foamborn wrote:Hey guys, I'm over from the June 2014 Study thread, considering a move here given that I actually took the LSAT 3 years ago and cancelled. I had a question about a specific RC ? and wondered if y'all might help.

So PT 42 (Dec. '03) S. 3 (RC) Q. 9.

This question asks about the author's attitude. I narrowed it down to answers D & E. They both seemed viable. E seemed great given the final paragraph, but it didn't appear to me to be an option throughout the entirety of the passage. So, unfortunately, I chose answer D. In looking over it my assumption is that the reason the answer is E is that there's no indication that Lichtenstein's work is actually a "subtle critique." Therefore it's gotta be E. I just wanted to see if people agree with that, or, did I miss some tonal indicators? Or maybe something else? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Also, it's good to see people PTing here.

-foam


Since I just took this PT the other day I'll give it a whirl. I don't know what test prep company (or if you're doing your own thing) you're using, so I don't really know how you classify this one. I treated it as inference question and would need some sort of line reference to support my answer choice. This question can have support from the entire passage but it's not something that is required.

I agree with you in that I don't see support for E anywhere except in the final paragraph as seen in line 36 and 50.

And as you said there is no support for D anywhere in the passage. I don't see Lichtenstein critiquing anything; although he does rebel against some forms of art. Also, contemporary culture isn't something Lichtenstein is critical of at all; if anything he want to reintroduce contemporary life into art.

Hope that clears it up somewhat.

User avatar
foamborn
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby foamborn » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:07 am

myoung7189,

Thanks for your reply. That's interesting that you say Lichtenstein isn't critiquing anything. I hope you're right and am leaning that way after checking Merriam-Webster on 'critique'. My point was that there was no indication it was specifically a SUBTLE critique. But maybe you're right. My reasons for thinking Lichtenstein's art was at least a critique were lines 6, specifying "poking fun at the pretensions of the art world," and 36, Lichtenstein's "urge to say that what was missing from contemporary painting was the depiction of contemporary life." Those sound like the beginnings of a"critique of contemporary culture." Am I just stretching the word 'critique'? Do you need substantive arguments to be a critique?

I'm studying on my own, so I don't really have a standard categorization technique. I have the Cambridge packets so I am familiar with their method, but I don't necessarily stick with it. That does bring up a question for me: do y'all categorize every question? And what counts as categorizing? I would say I don't categorize anything outside of the LG section, and there when I categorize I don't think I ever explicitly think "this is pure sequencing" or "this is in-and-out grouping." Instead, it feels like the category in my head is specifically a type of set-up; there's no two-step process. Is this just not categorizing? Would I be doing better if I were explicitly categorizing things? It normally feels to me like a waste of time to try to think of a category. The question asks for a specific thing. What is that specific thing? Not, what category does this fit into? Does that make any sense?

Thanks again for your help myoung7189. Keep up the good work!

User avatar
thevuch
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:39 pm

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby thevuch » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:55 pm

when is registration deadline for June? thinking of retaking for schollys

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby rebexness » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:12 pm

thevuch wrote:when is registration deadline for June? thinking of retaking for schollys


http://lmgtfy.com/?q=june+lsat+registration+deadline

User avatar
myoung7189
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:51 am

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby myoung7189 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:22 pm

foamborn wrote:myoung7189,

Thanks for your reply. That's interesting that you say Lichtenstein isn't critiquing anything. I hope you're right and am leaning that way after checking Merriam-Webster on 'critique'. My point was that there was no indication it was specifically a SUBTLE critique. But maybe you're right. My reasons for thinking Lichtenstein's art was at least a critique were lines 6, specifying "poking fun at the pretensions of the art world," and 36, Lichtenstein's "urge to say that what was missing from contemporary painting was the depiction of contemporary life." Those sound like the beginnings of a"critique of contemporary culture." Am I just stretching the word 'critique'? Do you need substantive arguments to be a critique?

I'm studying on my own, so I don't really have a standard categorization technique. I have the Cambridge packets so I am familiar with their method, but I don't necessarily stick with it. That does bring up a question for me: do y'all categorize every question? And what counts as categorizing? I would say I don't categorize anything outside of the LG section, and there when I categorize I don't think I ever explicitly think "this is pure sequencing" or "this is in-and-out grouping." Instead, it feels like the category in my head is specifically a type of set-up; there's no two-step process. Is this just not categorizing? Would I be doing better if I were explicitly categorizing things? It normally feels to me like a waste of time to try to think of a category. The question asks for a specific thing. What is that specific thing? Not, what category does this fit into? Does that make any sense?

Thanks again for your help myoung7189. Keep up the good work!


I definitely think you are using critique in an expansive manner. Poking fun does not equate to being critical, nor does an urge to express something mean one is being critical. But it does say subtle, so let's accept that and try to see what's wrong with the rest of the answer. When using line 6 and 36 to support D, does Lichtenstein employ a "subtle criticism," as you'd say, against artists and the art world or at contemporary culture? I'd say the former because culture is made up of a lot of things besides art (even though Lichtenstein seems only concerned with a subset of art which is painting) such as: language, traditions, governance, economics.. etc. Just to take it a little further if I am critical of dubstep and say it blows that doesn't mean I'm critical of our contemporary culture. I just find one aspect of music lacking and may endorse our contemporary culture.

Maybe doing it on your own is the right way. Most people on TLS would advise you to pick up some kind of method from a test prep company, and I'd say the same thing. I immediately sullied myself with techniques and can't really look at a question on the LSAT without converting/ translating it to inference, main point, necessary assumption, sufficient assumption... etc. If your understanding the material and consistently getting better scores then I say keep doing what you're doing.

No need for thanks we are all trying to improve day by day and diving into this question deeper has helped me, but you're welcome.

User avatar
withoutapaddle
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby withoutapaddle » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:52 pm

Tomorrow starts my LSAT hell.

Between the LSAT my 12 week work out and diet plan. I'm not going to have time to do anything else until June.

User avatar
dd235
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:33 am

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby dd235 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:13 pm

Took PT 66 today as a five section PT (scored a 168 six months ago on this one).

I scored a 171! I’m happy with the score, but I know its not very representative. I could remember some of the questions (but not the answers). My timing was way off. I felt very rushed so I’m hoping that’s just because I haven’t done any timed questions in over a month.

Anyways, I feel like I have all of the knowledge to do well, but just really need to get the timing down.

Learn_Live_Hope
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:28 pm

withoutapaddle wrote:Tomorrow starts my LSAT hell.

Between the LSAT my 12 week work out and diet plan. I'm not going to have time to do anything else until June.


Diet? What kind of a diet are you on?

charlesriver
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:38 pm

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby charlesriver » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:21 pm

Just did PT 69.
LR -2
LG -2
RC -8
LR -3
167.

I am feeling a little disappointed. I thought for sure I was in 170 this time. The RC completely destroyed me. Not happy about LG either. How many PT do you guys do? I feel that each time my performance is sliding. Do you guys have this kind of experience?

User avatar
FlyingNorth
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:25 am

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby FlyingNorth » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:58 am

charlesriver wrote:
I am feeling a little disappointed. I thought for sure I was in 170 this time. The RC completely destroyed me. Not happy about LG either. How many PT do you guys do? I feel that each time my performance is sliding. Do you guys have this kind of experience?


I hope you've been blind reviewing. It'll change your life.

User avatar
withoutapaddle
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby withoutapaddle » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:37 am

withoutapaddle wrote:
Tomorrow starts my LSAT hell.

Between the LSAT my 12 week work out and diet plan. I'm not going to have time to do anything else until June.


Diet? What kind of a diet are you on?


Doing the 12 week lean bodybuilding work out

Basically my day is:
Breakfast: 1 cup oatmeal/1 cup almond milk/ 1 cup eggs/ TP peanut butter/ 1 banana
-
Work out
-
Post work out protein shake
-
Lunch: Fish/ sweet potato/ broccoli: 2 glasses of water
-
Yogurt sometime between lunch and dinner
-
Dinner: Chicken/ Green beans/ Brown rice
-
Before bed: 28 almonds and a Cassein shake (slow acting protein)

It sucks haha

User avatar
withoutapaddle
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby withoutapaddle » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:38 am

Just did PT 69.


Recent tests with 12 weeks to go?

Do you still have tests saved up?

charlesriver
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:38 pm

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby charlesriver » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:08 am

withoutapaddle wrote:
Just did PT 69.


Recent tests with 12 weeks to go?

Do you still have tests saved up?


I have only 3 or 4 fresh tests left. I've pretty much exhausted all my materials. Any advice?

charlesriver
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:38 pm

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby charlesriver » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:09 am

FlyingNorth wrote:
charlesriver wrote:
I am feeling a little disappointed. I thought for sure I was in 170 this time. The RC completely destroyed me. Not happy about LG either. How many PT do you guys do? I feel that each time my performance is sliding. Do you guys have this kind of experience?


I hope you've been blind reviewing. It'll change your life.


Thanks. I will keep doing it. Have you been PTing?

User avatar
withoutapaddle
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby withoutapaddle » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:50 pm

Code: Select all

I have only 3 or 4 fresh tests left. I've pretty much exhausted all my materials. Any advice?


What I'm doing is saving 50-71 until I start PTing again (Hopefully I forget the LR questions)

I never did PT's 1-20 so right now I have fresh material that I'm practicing with


The one good thing about games and RC is that if you don't do them for a couple months you're bound to forget the answers to them

User avatar
myoung7189
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:51 am

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby myoung7189 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:40 pm

Hi-Ho
Hi-Ho
Off to drilling I go.
[whistles]

User avatar
foamborn
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby foamborn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:36 pm

charlesriver wrote:Just did PT 69.
LR -2
LG -2
RC -8
LR -3
167.

I am feeling a little disappointed. I thought for sure I was in 170 this time. The RC completely destroyed me. Not happy about LG either. How many PT do you guys do? I feel that each time my performance is sliding. Do you guys have this kind of experience?


How often are you PTing? You may just be overdoing it. Are you taking your tests around the same time each test? Sometimes a difference in start time can make a big difference. I recently took a test and had to break midway through to help a car mechanic at the house. Anyway, when I got back to the test it was 5 and my performance was clearly affected. I missed at least 3 questions simply to misreading as a result of tiredness. Things like not noticing 'EXCEPT' and mistaking minimums for maximums, etc.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby rebexness » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:50 pm

PT 50:

RC: -3
LR 1: -4
LG: -0
LR 2: -2

Raw: 91
Score 171


:mrgreen:

-1 on Riddled Basins passage which I am PRETTY happy about. I've seen this PT, but the last time I saw it was 8/1/13 (164)

NoDayButToday
Posts: 1031
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Postby NoDayButToday » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:04 pm

.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ac89, Baidu [Spider], GioChanturia and 2 guests