June 2014 Retakers Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
bohemiandaisy

New

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Post by bohemiandaisy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:22 pm

Can someone answer my question please? :)

Hurricane211

New

Post by Hurricane211 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:50 pm

FlyingNorth wrote:
Hurricane211 wrote:Scored my PT (52 - going along with my new trainer) and got a 161. I'm basically where I was a year ago... which I'm super happy about! I was afraid I was going to go down a lot. Like I mentioned in my previous post, LG KILLED me.

Break-down:

LR: -4
LG: -8
LR: -6
RC: -5

I could also do better in LR. I missed a lot of easy ones in that second round. Now I know what to work on. Again, if anyone has advice on how to improve my LG timing, please let me know!
I love giving this advice because I'm sure everyone can agree that it works so well.

Step 1: Go to 7sage.com
Step 2: Watch his videos on the games you just did, pay close attention to everything (methods, diagramming, explanations, etc.)
Step 3: Do that games section again
Step 4: Did you absolutely kill the section by not missing a single question, finishing in time, and generally feeling like the man?
If not, repeat steps 1 through 4 until you do.

Repeat this process for every single game you drill, and I guarantee your speed and accuracy will improve.
Thank you very much for the advice! You're awesome, Flying North! I will defo do this.

Hurricane211

New

Post by Hurricane211 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:53 pm

rebexness wrote:Also take note if you "figure out" inferences partially through the game (would save you time for other questions) or if you have to spend a lot of time referring to your diagram (maybe you could have set it up more clearly).
Thanks for your input! I do sometimes "figure out" inferences as I am going through the game. I spend a lot of time eliminating answer choices by going down each answer choice and knocking them out--that's why I assumed I'm probably not making enough inferences. I appreciate your advice!

Hurricane211

New

Post by Hurricane211 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:55 pm

alecks wrote:Took 52 and got a 164... Not super thrilled because my last PT before the February test was a 168. A few of the questions I thought were one thing and didn't really look at the answers because I was certain I remembered them... Turns out I remembered wrong haha. I've seen this PT too many times. Kind of discouraging but a 168 or above is my goal so I'm my gonna stress myself out with 2+ months to go.

Anyway, a few lessons into the trainer so I'm gonna pick up the pace again this week and go HAM and just get this over with. This will be my 3rd try :/
I think you scored well. I just took that exact same test. I'm working through the trainer as well. May I ask what lesson you're on?

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:31 pm

bohemiandaisy wrote:Hey everyone,

I am also a June 2014 re-taker. I canceled in December. I've been lurking for a few months, and I have fallen behind my schedule, unfortunately. I spent all of February reviewing and rereading everything about logical reasoning, logic games, reading comp etc. February was a review month for me and it was incredibly valuable because I had more epiphanies and "aha" moments than I did the first time around. March I spent drilling. I spent most of this time on Logic Games since it is my weak point. I'm set to take my first PT on Monday March 31. I work part-time. But I was thinking of PTing everyday and drilling logic games in the evening from different tests. I was in the mid 160s before December, but with all of this ample time, I would like to bump myself up to the 170s.

Is it too late now to expect a 170+ score if I put in 8 hours a day (a PT + blind review and drilling)?

I like to think that I have adequate time and perhaps this is the best time to drill because in January/February, I really remembered a lot of the questions and the PTs were useless to me. Now enough time has passed for me to get some accurate PT scores. Also, I find that I "forget" a lot of what I learned over the months!

Any advice? Also, is the Skype study group still going on? I'd love to join!
I would say that it is definitely possible to get a 170+, considering your earlier prep, however I would never go so far as to "Expect" a 170 (thats probably why I'm retaking....again).

I would not PT every day, honestly. I would PT NO MORE than 3x a week, and really that shouldn't even be every week. However, if you have the time to devote, you can certainly drill, do sections, read the prep books, and review like crazy.

We don't currently have a study group going- but I think Dasani was interested in starting one again. You may want to PM him.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bohemiandaisy

New

Post by bohemiandaisy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:40 pm

Why shouldn't I expect a 170? I feel like after a year of studying, I should get one.

:(

How about 5 pts a week? Are you suggesting that I may burn out?

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:47 pm

I am also a June 2014 re-taker. I canceled in December. I've been lurking for a few months, and I have fallen behind my schedule, unfortunately. I spent all of February reviewing and rereading everything about logical reasoning, logic games, reading comp etc. February was a review month for me and it was incredibly valuable because I had more epiphanies and "aha" moments than I did the first time around. March I spent drilling. I spent most of this time on Logic Games since it is my weak point. I'm set to take my first PT on Monday March 31. I work part-time. But I was thinking of PTing everyday and drilling logic games in the evening from different tests. I was in the mid 160s before December, but with all of this ample time, I would like to bump myself up to the 170s.

Is it too late now to expect a 170+ score if I put in 8 hours a day (a PT + blind review and drilling)?

I like to think that I have adequate time and perhaps this is the best time to drill because in January/February, I really remembered a lot of the questions and the PTs were useless to me. Now enough time has passed for me to get some accurate PT scores. Also, I find that I "forget" a lot of what I learned over the months!

Why did you cancel? Did nerves get to you and you underperformed or did you just get owned by the test? How were you PTing when you were scoring in the 160s? Real test conditions?

I was PTing in the low 160s back in December and I think my average PT score now is in the mid 160s. I plan on PTing and Blind Reviewing HARD for these next 2 months after going through the Trainer. I also had a lot of "aha" moments and I'm feeling much better about my weaknesses (RC, overall timing). My goal is to get to the 170s as well and I definitely think it's possible!

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:50 pm

rebexness wrote:

I would say that it is definitely possible to get a 170+, considering your earlier prep, however I would never go so far as to "Expect" a 170 (thats probably why I'm retaking....again).

I would not PT every day, honestly. I would PT NO MORE than 3x a week, and really that shouldn't even be every week. However, if you have the time to devote, you can certainly drill, do sections, read the prep books, and review like crazy.

We don't currently have a study group going- but I think Dasani was interested in starting one again. You may want to PM him.
Yeah, agree with 3-4 PTs per week max. I'm going to spend at least half of my study time reviewing the PTs that I take and drilling obvious weaknesses.

Our first study group failed miserably-- no one showed up to the first meeting lol. I'm definitely down to form another one but only if we're 100% committed this time.

Hurricane211

New

Post by Hurricane211 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:23 pm

Could someone clarify how the study groups work, please? I may be interested.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hurricane211

New

Post by Hurricane211 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:24 pm

On how many PTs to take per week, I knew a guy who went to H and told me he prepped by taking two PTs a day... I thought that was a bit nuts.

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:29 pm

Hurricane211 wrote:Could someone clarify how the study groups work, please? I may be interested.
We come up with a schedule of PTs we wanna take and then review them together in a chat room. It helps us stay on track and motivated. ;)

Hurricane211

New

Post by Hurricane211 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:38 pm

dasani13 wrote:
Hurricane211 wrote:Could someone clarify how the study groups work, please? I may be interested.
We come up with a schedule of PTs we wanna take and then review them together in a chat room. It helps us stay on track and motivated. ;)
Sounds solid! Let me know if it happens :D

bohemiandaisy

New

Post by bohemiandaisy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:56 pm

dasani13 wrote:

Why did you cancel? Did nerves get to you and you underperformed or did you just get owned by the test? How were you PTing when you were scoring in the 160s? Real test conditions?

I was PTing in the low 160s back in December and I think my average PT score now is in the mid 160s. I plan on PTing and Blind Reviewing HARD for these next 2 months after going through the Trainer. I also had a lot of "aha" moments and I'm feeling much better about my weaknesses (RC, overall timing). My goal is to get to the 170s as well and I definitely think it's possible!
I canceled because I knew I did poorly. I didn't sleep at all the night before and I didn't feel ready going into the games. I only took 10 timed tests and didn't take the whole "real test conditions" seriously I suppose. I was going through a lot at home and didn't prep right. I also was suffering from clinical depression and wasn't motivated. All of this was going through my mind on test day. Also the fact that I wanted to save my 4.0 GPA and that "this was the most important day" of my life." lol Also, my life was the LSAT. I quit my job and relinquished my social life. A more balanced life has led me to love the test rather than loathe it.

Dasani, I think we are in the same boat! Let's study together these next two months. I don't regret spending two months (I started my re-prep in February) of just reviewing because I had so many "aha" moments! I realized that I really never had a good grasp of logic after all. Now I can totally rock questions about sufficiency and necessity - a concept that has eluded me. I feel like those 160s scores were just pure chance and luck. I also know how to approach games now in a more efficient way.

I'm taking my first PT on April 1st. Let's do a test together! I'm committed to the study group - trust me!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bohemiandaisy

New

Post by bohemiandaisy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:26 pm

rebexness wrote:

What do you mean about not expecting a certain score? Clarify, please rebexness? Thanks for the advice and answering me :)

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:07 pm

Hurricane211 wrote:On how many PTs to take per week, I knew a guy who went to H and told me he prepped by taking two PTs a day... I thought that was a bit nuts.
Yeah this is not a strategy I would generally recommend. If it works for you, go for it, but don't think for a second it is required.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:10 pm

I mean that for all that you prep you are never guaranteed a 170. I knew plenty of people regularly pulling 180s in test conditions who didn't break 165 on test days. All you can do is prep your best and hope things work out in your favor.

withoutapaddle

Bronze

Post by withoutapaddle » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:45 pm

Just did the advanced linear games in the Powerscore game type training

91% right which would be equated to 21 out of 23 on test day (If the test was only those questions)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Reboot_the_Robot

New

Post by Reboot_the_Robot » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:07 am

So I did PTs 56 and 57 this weekend.

PT 56:
RC: -3
LR (both sections): -1
LG: -1

PT 57:
LR (both sections): -4 :x Think I got cocky after #56
LG: -0

I'm planning to drill a bunch of Reading Comprehension sections this week. Also, I finally got my new PTs in the mail! I ordered them back in January and was starting to get worried that they'd arrive after the test.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:23 am

Reboot_the_Robot wrote:So I did PTs 56 and 57 this weekend.

PT 56:

PT 57:

I'm planning to drill a bunch of Reading Comprehension sections this week. Also, I finally got my new PTs in the mail! I ordered them back in January and was starting to get worried that they'd arrive after the test.
Congrats with the PT scores if they are from legit honestly simulated test day conditions! If you can consistently hit 175+ range now with fresh PTs under test conditions timed PTs, all you really need to do between now and the June administration is basic maintenance to keep your brain firing like it is now.

You traveling abroad in third world countries or something for that two months+ shipping delay to get hard copies of PTs and materials? If you aren't yet aware, you can get all available real LSAT PTs online/digital download instantly in pdf form, you just have to print them out yourself after buying and downloading the files from one of the companies allowed by LSAC to sell digital copies of test questions.

Reboot_the_Robot

New

Post by Reboot_the_Robot » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:35 am

Jeffort wrote:
Reboot_the_Robot wrote:So I did PTs 56 and 57 this weekend.

PT 56:

PT 57:

Congrats with the PT scores if they are from legit honestly simulated test day conditions!

You traveling abroad in third world countries or something for that two month shipping delay to get hard copies of PTs and materials? If you aren't yet aware, you can get all available real LSAT PTs online/digital download instantly in pdf form, you just have to print them out yourself after buying and downloading the files from one of the companies allowed by LSAC to sell digital copies of test questions.
They were under simulated test conditions, but I originally took both of them back in September so the scores don't count for much.

Yup, you got it. I've been living/working abroad the past few years and mail is slow. Thanks for the tip about the online PTs! I'll have to look into that. Maybe I can print them at work.

hk227

New

Post by hk227 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:15 pm

A bit late to the party...

I took October and December 164/162.

Started doing practice sections a week and a half ago. Took my first PT on Sunday-

Test 63- scored a 170. Not sure if that was a fluke... Which is what I'm worried about... How do I maintain that?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:20 pm

PT 56 (@ busy public library)

LG: -3 (wtf also ran out of time for last question) -> Didn't do a warmup section, either, probably contributed
LR 1: -4
LR 2: -3
RC: -3 (pretty happy with this)

Raw: 87
Score: 168

I forgot to grab an extra section to make it a 5 section test- dumb of me not to have my folder ready to grab and go. Oh well.

dd235

Bronze

Post by dd235 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:24 pm

Just took PT 67 (took it for the first time about 6 months ago)

Exp(PT13, S2 - LR): -2
RC:-4
LR: -5 WTF?!?
LR: -3

Raw Score: -13
Scaled Score: 168

I was pretty disappointed with the 168 seeing as how I broke the 170 barrier for my last two tests. I took it in a coffee shop with lots of distractions. I had to stop halfway through the first LR because a friend came up to talk to me (hopefully this had something to do with the bad score) and also my timer decided to stop working during RC so I’m pretty sure I went over by about 3 or 4 minutes but there’s no way of knowing for sure.

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:58 pm

To anyone interested in forming a study group for PTs, we are meeting tonight at 10pm EST (right now lol, we just decided). Just PM me if you want to join.

The Dark Shepard

Bronze

Post by The Dark Shepard » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:00 pm

Well I'm newly deciding to retake in June and havn't sniffed an LSAT since June 2013(got a 167). Where should I start do you think?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”