June 2014 Retakers Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
rebexness

Gold

Re: June 2014 Retakers

Post by rebexness » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:38 pm

sashafierce wrote:
rebexness wrote:Hullo retaker friends.
Other thread is too herpderpderp for me.

What does herpderpderp mean?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=herp+derp

sashafierce

Bronze

Post by sashafierce » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:42 pm

rebexness wrote:
sashafierce wrote:

Hmmmm, okay then :roll:

thejerseykid

Bronze

Post by thejerseykid » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:24 am

rebexness wrote:
sashafierce wrote:

bohemiandaisy

New

Post by bohemiandaisy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:21 am

Totally interested in a study group! :)

wsparker

Bronze

Post by wsparker » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:38 am

sashafierce wrote:
dasani13 wrote:
wsparker wrote:Oops, I posted in the other June study group, but I am retaker as well. I took it in Feb 2013, and then signed up for June and December, but ended up unregistering because I was never motivated enough. I really need to stay committed and take it in June, anyone want to partner up to make sure we stay on track??
The other June thread sucks lol

I'm looking for study partners/groups if you're interested. We could all get together in a chat room and come up with a schedule/plan.

Interested in this. I am available at night and weekends.
Also free nights and weekends!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

I<3soulcrushingdebt

New

Post by I<3soulcrushingdebt » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:08 pm

I'm down as well. Please include me if such a group forms

Gravitas

New

Post by Gravitas » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:24 pm

Checking in. Not sure I'll be too helpful, since I plan on only light reviewing until mid-April, then hitting the books hard, but I've always wanted to join one of these study boards. This will be my third time taking, so I need to forget the later tests before going through them again, hence the waiting. I will be taking a PT a week just to stay sharp, though. My previous scores are 162 and 170. Good luck studying, everyone! :mrgreen:

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:47 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGreatJustice

New

Post by TheGreatJustice » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:51 pm

Hello all.

you may have seen my threat yesterday, my situation is quite similar to many of you. I was PT'ing in the high 160s and got a 158 on December (my first LSAT after doing only about 6-7 prep tests).

But alas, you gotta pick up the pieces and get back into the battle. So far Im not sure about June (I would love to have 4 months of summer to study) but Im going to start studying now in case I choose to take June, at which case I'll register in February or March for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FlyingNorth

Bronze

Post by FlyingNorth » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:55 pm

Officially checking in.

Let's get this thread going. How about a little background information from each retaker - I'll start.

Target Score: 175+
Previous Score Range: 165 - 170
Take: 3rd
Materials: MLSAT Bundle, maybe Cambridge Packets, Reusing PT's and The Trainer
Guide: NoodleyOne's Retaker
Plan of Attack: Back to the basics, drilling Feb. through March, PT's April through June

TheGreatJustice

New

Post by TheGreatJustice » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:59 pm

It's crazy how many are in the same situation, getting high 160s during PT and then getting a 159 or so. I'm assuming most of those people were first timers like me?

Anyways, my main problem is with LR and LG to some extent.

I don't think I need any guide for LG though, but Im open to advice.

Should I buy any materials for LR? I average about -5 on LR (both together). I want to get down to a situation where I average no more than -2.

FlyingNorth

Bronze

Post by FlyingNorth » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:18 pm

TheGreatJustice wrote:It's crazy how many are in the same situation, getting high 160s during PT and then getting a 159 or so. I'm assuming most of those people were first timers like me?

Should I buy any materials for LR? I average about -5 on LR (both together). I want to get down to a situation where I average no more than -2.
What's your target score? If you fill out what I posted above, I can offer some advice. I'd say you can definitely improve on LR, if you're getting the same question types wrong.

TheGreatJustice

New

Post by TheGreatJustice » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:23 pm

FlyingNorth wrote:
TheGreatJustice wrote:It's crazy how many are in the same situation, getting high 160s during PT and then getting a 159 or so. I'm assuming most of those people were first timers like me?

What's your target score? If you fill out what I posted above, I can offer some advice. I'd say you can definitely improve on LR, if you're getting the same question types wrong.
Target Score is in the 174+ range. I think I can definitely get to -2 on LR, -1 on LG and -2 max on RC

Previous PT Score range: 165-170 (though I got 158 on my first actual LSAT in December)
Take: June would be my 2nd
Materials: dozens of Prep tests, that's it.
Guide: none
Plan of attack: Sharpen LG skills, perhaps go back to basics with LR, and just keep reading a lot of articles, jurisprudence, and academic articles to sharpen my RC skills (though I usually get -3 max on RC).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wsparker

Bronze

Post by wsparker » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:26 pm

Last edited by wsparker on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:32 pm

Ok so a lot of you guys are interested in a study group- that's great! I'm really looking forward to it. To the 4 people who messaged me, can you please post your availability on here? Most--if not all-- of us said we're available every night of the week.

How about we get together in a chat room tonight and try to get this started? Is 8pm EST tonight good for everyone?

FlyingNorth

Bronze

Post by FlyingNorth » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:33 pm

TheGreatJustice wrote:
FlyingNorth wrote:

Target Score is in the 174+ range. I think I can definitely get to -2 on LR, -1 on LG and -2 max on RC

Previous PT Score range: 165-170 (though I got 158 on my first actual LSAT in December)
Plan of attack: Sharpen LG skills, perhaps go back to basics with LR, and just keep reading a lot of articles, jurisprudence, and academic articles to sharpen my RC skills (though I usually get -3 max on RC).
Seems like you basically have the test down. Your actual score was probably due to first time taker anxiety/nerves so I'd suggest getting in the habit of PT'ing all over the place to get comfortable in the test day environment (i.e. in a Starbucks, with a proctor program to call time, 5 or 6 sections for endurance)

TheGreatJustice

New

Post by TheGreatJustice » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:40 pm

FlyingNorth wrote:
TheGreatJustice wrote:
FlyingNorth wrote:

Seems like you basically have the test down. Your actual score was probably due to first time taker anxiety/nerves so I'd suggest getting in the habit of PT'ing all over the place to get comfortable in the test day environment (i.e. in a Starbucks, with a proctor program to call time, 5 or 6 sections for endurance)
Just for revenge/redemption/personal satisfaction, I'm going to do a PT with the December exam in the same room where the exam was held at my university.

Then I'm going to spit on it, after getting a 178 on it.

Yes, yes I know.......I already did the exam, it's too fresh in my mind, etc, etc

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thejerseykid

Bronze

Post by thejerseykid » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:22 pm

Target score: 170+
Previous PT Score range: 158-169 (very poor prep method resulting from my having underestimated this exam/ overestimated my ability on two occasions now)
Materials: Manhattan LG, LR, and RC; PS LGB; LSAT Trainer; PTs 1-38 by type; PTs 39-70
Guide: NoodleyOne's Guide for Retakers
Plan of attack: Take prep more seriously, unlearn any poor habits acquired during first two preps, perfect performance on LG, sharpen focus and efficiency in LR and RC
dasani13 wrote:Ok so a lot of you guys are interested in a study group- that's great! I'm really looking forward to it. To the 4 people who messaged me, can you please post your availability on here? Most--if not all-- of us said we're available every night of the week.

How about we get together in a chat room tonight and try to get this started? Is 8pm EST tonight good for everyone?
Like a lot of others here I'm interested in this study group and I'll be available at 8pm EST. My only question would be: what's going to be the focus of this chat? Reason being, I still haven't really begun my prep because I'm still tying up the loose ends of some applications and waiting for some prep material to arrive. So if the purpose is to get something set up/organized for future chats I'd be up for that but, if you guys are already beginning reviews of certain sections then I'll probably sit this one out until I can catch up.

FlyingNorth

Bronze

Post by FlyingNorth » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:03 pm

thejerseykid wrote:Target score: 170+
Previous PT Score range: 158-169 (very poor prep method resulting from my having underestimated this exam/ overestimated my ability on two occasions now)
Materials: Manhattan LG, LR, and RC; PS LGB; LSAT Trainer; PTs 1-38 by type; PTs 39-70
Guide: NoodleyOne's Guide for Retakers
Plan of attack: Take prep more seriously, unlearn any poor habits acquired during first two preps, perfect performance on LG, sharpen focus and efficiency in LR and RC
dasani13 wrote:Ok so a lot of you guys are interested in a study group- that's great! I'm really looking forward to it. To the 4 people who messaged me, can you please post your availability on here? Most--if not all-- of us said we're available every night of the week.

Like a lot of others here I'm interested in this study group and I'll be available at 8pm EST. My only question would be: what's going to be the focus of this chat? Reason being, I still haven't really begun my prep because I'm still tying up the loose ends of some applications and waiting for some prep material to arrive. So if the purpose is to get something set up/organized for future chats I'd be up for that but, if you guys are already beginning reviews of certain sections then I'll probably sit this one out until I can catch up.
+1, I'm going to take it easy until Feb. Lurk a bit ya bish

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:22 pm

Hey thejerseykid, good to know you're interested as well. This is the first time we'll all be talking together so it'll be just to talk about our main goals and to hopefully come up with a general strategy and schedule.

I'll post a link to the chat room later on. Anyone else interested?

attackpizza

New

Post by attackpizza » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:39 pm

Thanks for the bump, FlyingNorth!

Target Score: 170+
Previous Score Range: 157
Take: 2nd (not counting the October 2004 test I took in UG)
Materials: MLSAT Bundle, PowerScore LG Bible, Cambridge LG & LR packets, PTs
Guide: NoodleyOne's Retaker + LSAT Blog Retaker Guide
Plan of Attack: LG Bible + drilling Jan - Feb (I was killing LG in my prep, but freaked and went -11 in December); MLSAT LR + drilling Feb - Mar; MLSAT RC (and maybe PowerScore RC) + drilling + The Economist subscription Mar - April; PTs April - June

I'm working full-time and fitting studying in at lunch, after the baby is asleep and one day on the weekend. I lost all motivation to study in the month before December 2013 and it showed in my score. So this time around, I will be following through on my study plan. Good luck everyone! We're going to crush June 2014!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FlyingNorth

Bronze

Post by FlyingNorth » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:46 pm

Nice, AP.

Good plan of attack studying during your lunch break at work. I did the same while studying for the Dec. test and it worked very well. Kept me honed in on a daily basis and if I didn't do well on a practice section, it got me excited to go home and work on improving.

inlovewithpiper

Bronze

Post by inlovewithpiper » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:52 pm

FlyingNorth wrote:Officially checking in.

Let's get this thread going. How about a little background information from each retaker - I'll start.

Plan of Attack: Back to the basics, drilling Feb. through March, PT's April through June
Previous Score Range: 172-176 (scored 165 in December)
Materials: The Trainer, PS LG Bible, PS RC Bible
Guide: Noodley's
Plan of Attack: Just got a copy of The Trainer. Will be getting through that ASAP and then going back through the PS Bibles. Hopefully have those done by late February, when I'll start drilling again. 1-2 Timed PTs per week leading up to June with ample time for review. (That's where I feel like my weakness is. Before December, I did a ton of PTs but only spent a minute or so per question reviewing.)

FlyingNorth

Bronze

Post by FlyingNorth » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:41 pm

inlovewithpiper wrote:
FlyingNorth wrote:Officially checking in.

Previous Score Range: 172-176 (scored 165 in December)
Materials: The Trainer, PS LG Bible, PS RC Bible
Guide: Noodley's
Plan of Attack: Just got a copy of The Trainer. Will be getting through that ASAP and then going back through the PS Bibles. Hopefully have those done by late February, when I'll start drilling again. 1-2 Timed PTs per week leading up to June with ample time for review. (That's where I feel like my weakness is. Before December, I did a ton of PTs but only spent a minute or so per question reviewing.)
I recommend you drill while going through The Trainer, instead of after. Mike has a great study schedule where each chapter coincides with helpful drills. Check them out on his website.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:46 pm

FlyingNorth wrote:
I recommend you drill while going through The Trainer, instead of after. Mike has a great study schedule where each chapter coincides with helpful drills. Check them out on his website.
Except that Mike's schedule uses questions from PTs that you should be saving for full length tests. If you are going to drill while doing the trainer, use the Cambridge packets although tbh they don't match up well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”