How many hours of study per day?

AlexVee

How many hours of study per day?

Postby AlexVee » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:47 pm

Hey all.

I will be sitting for the upcoming 2014 June LSAT and I was wondering how long I should plan on studying each day without becoming too burnt out. My only obligation between now and June will be a flexible part-time job as I am not taking any courses this semester.

Thanks!

bombaysippin

Re: How many hours of study per day?

Postby bombaysippin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:58 pm

Honestly only you can assess that for yourself. No one can tell you how your body and mind will react to studying for hours. You still have a decent amount of time until the June exam so try out different things and try and find a sweet spot. I suggest not doing 10-12 hours a day. Most likely will burn you out.

ETA: I think you should be studying for at least 1-2 hours in a sitting though to be effective.

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:15 pm

24-(the amount of sleep you want I'm assuming eight)=16-(the number of hours per day you work)=the amount you should study. HTH

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:18 pm

I agree with the Bajam's comment above about finding your own flow. For some 10 hours per day might be effective, for others that might push them into burn-out territory. With what sounds like a relatively free schedule you should have plenty of time to hit the books. The key is to differentiate between "burnout" and "laziness" (for a lack of a better word). I often thought I had burnout, but in fact I was just low on motivation or flat out lazy. You'll personally know the difference, its just up to you to admit it to yourself. :lol:

If you are new to LSAT studying, I would start low then work your way up. For instance, start with something very manageable such as 1-2 hours per day (since you have ample time), then increase it regularly until you are at a point where you feel like you've hit a happy medium between study-time and "too much." As your hours per day increase, I'd highly suggest putting at least small breaks in between your study sessions for each day, it helps keep you fresh. Some enjoy complete "break" days where you do no studying, I preferred to have a "light" day where I just did 2 hours (when normally I was in the 6-8 range, with a FT job). Either way, don't grill it too hardcore between now and June otherwise you might actually hurt yourself on test day. I took the LSAT 3 times, and oddly enough the time I was the most lenient with my studying was the time I scored highest.

AlexVee

Postby AlexVee » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:47 pm

I should've guessed that it would vary from person to person. Thanks for the advice.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”