To Feb or not to Feb?

thedaff

To Feb or not to Feb?

Postby thedaff » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:09 pm

Long time lurker/first time poster/first time taker (dec13) salutes you.

Few doubts here I hope some of you can shed light on (saw a similar thread but wished for details):

1) does the february administration historically yield a lower degree of acceptance? Or, better: will taking the feb lsat hurt my chances for this cycle? If so, how bad?
Also, snowstorm related issues with test centers and fewer applications make this cycle a bit unusual, perhaps. Does any of this play a role?

which leads to

2) should i go for it?
Relevant info: dec score was 160 (first take), below my PTs median by 3 points. I have these 5 weeks off, as in: no college, no job, no intense activity scheduled. I have just gotten the manhattan LR + cambridge bundles combo, which i didn't have before (and which i got to know thanks to many of you).

Goal is landing 167+.

Thoughts, advice, opinions are very welcome guise

Kevinlomax

Re: To Feb or not to Feb?

Postby Kevinlomax » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:30 pm

thedaff wrote:Long time lurker/first time poster/first time taker (dec13) salutes you.

Few doubts here I hope some of you can shed light on (saw a similar thread but wished for details):

1) does the february administration historically yield a lower degree of acceptance? Or, better: will taking the feb lsat hurt my chances for this cycle? If so, how bad?
Also, snowstorm related issues with test centers and fewer applications make this cycle a bit unusual, perhaps. Does any of this play a role?

which leads to

2) should i go for it?
Relevant info: dec score was 160 (first take), below my PTs median by 3 points. I have these 5 weeks off, as in: no college, no job, no intense activity scheduled. I have just gotten the manhattan LR + cambridge bundles combo, which i didn't have before (and which i got to know thanks to many of you).

Goal is landing 167+.

I am in the same exact boat. Im going for it, why not?

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:32 pm

If you want to set up a study group since we have similiar goals and similar scores, i would be down

BPlaura

Postby BPlaura » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:38 pm

thedaff wrote:1) does the february administration historically yield a lower degree of acceptance? Or, better: will taking the feb lsat hurt my chances for this cycle? If so, how bad?

Depends on where you're applying. Higher-ranked schools often don't even accept February scores for that year's cycle - although, to your second point, this is certainly an unusual year (see: Harvard accepting the February LSAT). Also, for schools that have rolling admissions, applying later obviously is less advantageous.

That said, it's always better to apply later with a higher LSAT score (as long as you double check that the schools you're applying to will accept the February LSAT). If you realistically think you'll be able to devote the time/work to scoring higher on the February exam, go for it.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:38 pm

Go for it..I am :)

carmensandiego

Postby carmensandiego » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:48 pm

Miracle wrote:Go for it..I am :)

+1

FlyingNorth

Postby FlyingNorth » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:49 pm

Go for it, seems like you have an adequate amount of time on your hands.

thedaff

Postby thedaff » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:56 pm

Kevinlomax wrote:
thedaff wrote:Long time lurker/first time poster/first time taker (dec13) salutes you.

which leads to

2) should i go for it?

Goal is landing 167+.

I am in the same exact boat. Im going for it, why not?

Chances are, competition gets tougher as we approach the end of the cycle. I just don't want this to be a huge drawback when applying (later than the typical applicant).

Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure I'll dive in. Was thinking about drills for a while (two to three weeks), gradually shifting to sections and full tests.

Thanks for the replies all

thedaff

Postby thedaff » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:05 pm

BPlaura wrote:
thedaff wrote:1) does the february administration historically yield a lower degree of acceptance? Or, better: will taking the feb lsat hurt my chances for this cycle? If so, how bad?

Depends on where you're applying. Higher-ranked schools often don't even accept February scores for that year's cycle - although, to your second point, this is certainly an unusual year (see: Harvard accepting the February LSAT). Also, for schools that have rolling admissions, applying later obviously is less advantageous.

That said, it's always better to apply later with a higher LSAT score (as long as you double check that the schools you're applying to will accept the February LSAT). If you realistically think you'll be able to devote the time/work to scoring higher on the February exam, go for it.

I do, tbh. Looks like I will after all.
There might be other schools that are extending their deadlines and making february a chance. For starters, i'll check the schools' websites.

Thanks!

izzy895

Postby izzy895 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:13 pm

Was wondering if there were any high scorers (170+) who received those scores on a Feb. test

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:44 pm

To feb

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:53 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:To feb

squee116

Postby squee116 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:35 am

which leads to

2) should i go for it?

Goal is landing 167+.

I find myself in the same boat (now). I took in October, and should have been prepping this whole time, but find myself with a self-induced late start. 162, aiming for 170+.

KingJamesLBJ

Postby KingJamesLBJ » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:17 pm

Applicants must take the LSAT no later than December 2013. The oldest score we will accept is from the June 2009 LSAT administration.

For prospective applicants who were unable to sit for the December 2013 LSAT due to LSAC's December test center cancelations, the deadline to apply to NYU School of Law has been extended to March 10, 2014 and you may submit your February 2014 test score for consideration.

That was from NYU. Will they accept the FEB score for everyone or just the people that could not take the DEc due to weather? I am debating if i should retake in feb as well

p3aceandl0v3

Postby p3aceandl0v3 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:13 pm

KingJamesLBJ wrote:Applicants must take the LSAT no later than December 2013. The oldest score we will accept is from the June 2009 LSAT administration.

For prospective applicants who were unable to sit for the December 2013 LSAT due to LSAC's December test center cancelations, the deadline to apply to NYU School of Law has been extended to March 10, 2014 and you may submit your February 2014 test score for consideration.

That was from NYU. Will they accept the FEB score for everyone or just the people that could not take the DEc due to weather? I am debating if i should retake in feb as well

I'm curious about this as well.

BPlaura

Postby BPlaura » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:06 pm

The way it's worded *sounds* like it's just for people whose test center was affected by the weather in December, but the easiest way to find out for sure is to give NYU a call.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:13 pm

Did anyone call to find out?

KingJamesLBJ

Postby KingJamesLBJ » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:09 pm

Miracle wrote:Did anyone call to find out?

Im in the middle of nowhere hunting with bad reception, so if someone does PLEASE SHARE

hemicat27

Postby hemicat27 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:38 pm

I'm in the same boat. Thinking of going ahead and retaking the Feb. test. I took the Dec. one and didn't get as high as I had hoped. Because it's so last minute and I totally stopped studying after the Dec. test, I was thinking of enrolling in either the Powerscore or Testmasters weekend course in hopes of gaining 3-4 points. Any thoughts on that?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”