4 points from goal, 5 weeks till feb. Advice?

Kevinlomax

4 points from goal, 5 weeks till feb. Advice?

Postby Kevinlomax » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:28 am

What is the consensus on studying for a short period on a re-take?

I was thinking drill 2-3 weeks and then 5 pt's in last 2 weeks leading up to test

Also, is there anywhere on the application to indicate you are taking again in feb. but still submitting with december scores?

Thanks

Oxcart

Re: 4 points from goal, 5 weeks till feb. Advice?

Postby Oxcart » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:32 am

Following this... I'm also interested in how it works if you apply now with a previous score but plan on taking February to improve your score....

Lock74

Postby Lock74 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:36 am

I am also in the same boat. I was thinking 3 weeks of drilling and book work and then working back into pts the last few weeks. 5-7 points would be huge for me. Any advice is welcome.

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:02 pm

I am getting all the Cambridge packets and my thinking goes something like this:

the reason for my score not being at my goal (scored a 159, goal is 163, hoping for 165-167), is due to nerves. I have the knowledge, I just need to execute it better next time

I am thinking drill HARD for 3 weeks (60 LR questions, 6 LG games, 6 RC passages per day) with 1 PT day per week during these first three weeks. The last 2 weeks take 6 pt's under timed conditions with an experimental section and using the LSAT proctor app.

This will confirm my timing and get my mind ready for the real thing.

I would be willing to form a study group with you guys to compare scores and keep ourselves accountable. I would even be willing to do the same questions and PT's per day to compare notes and such....

Let me know

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:03 pm

Oxcart wrote:Following this... I'm also interested in how it works if you apply now with a previous score but plan on taking February to improve your score....

Have you found anything?

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:37 pm

If you feel very confident that nerves are your problem (and your only major one), then I would say yes, it's doable -- but you need to adjust how you take your PT's.

I would recommend increasing the noise level (test in a Starbucks, for example), and if at all possible get someone to physically proctor you. Like, human being in the room, telling you when the 5 minute mark is.

Isolate your problems, and drill them. Figure out why nerves are an issue, and drill tests while all nerve wracked.

On the other hand, if you're sitting in the 160-165 range, there are some sections that you are clearly not perfect on. If it's LG, check out 7sage's free videos and drill your butt off. I you're missing more than 4 on logic games consistently, fixing that could be enough to get you back on track.

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:55 pm

why not just PT and review?

usernotfound

Postby usernotfound » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:52 pm

Everyone is different, so there's no objective answer. I was PT'ing around 171 and got a 166 on my first take this December. I think I'm just going to retake in June because IMO it's not worth one of my takes to take February with just a month more to study. 4 points is really a lot, even though after reviewing every PT we can all find "those 4 easy ones we missed or fudged up." I considered February but I think waiting a cycle and giving myself the option of both June and October 2014 plus the early cycle will be to my benefit.

Just my .02. Good luck.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”