Does percentile factor in decisions?

paperrev
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:18 pm

Does percentile factor in decisions?

Postby paperrev » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:45 am

Hey, so I got my scores back and am honestly disappointed. I got a +2 increase to 169, which I guess is better than nothing, but I was expecting more :( Anyway, I do have a question though about percentiles: do they factor in the admission decision making at all?? Because while I only improved 2 points, I got bumped up from 94th % to the 97th % with this score. Do you think admissions officers will take that into consideration??

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Does percentile factor in decisions?

Postby ScottRiqui » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:40 am

Never mind the percentiles; a two-point jump in your LSAT score is a solid improvement, especially at the mid-to-high 160s.

Think of it this way - the LSAT medians among the top twenty schools only vary by nine points, (from 164 to 173). Take Yale out of the equation, and the spread is only seven points. With so many good schools clustered so closely together, your two-point increase has just made you MUCH more attractive.

notalobbyist
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:25 pm

Re: Does percentile factor in decisions?

Postby notalobbyist » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:24 am

Percentiles matter in terms of the applicant pool, not the distribution of the scores for the test. Law school is a business, and if the top 1% can't fill a classroom then schools dig deeper into the scores.

A 169 puts you in good territory relative to your fellow applicants, don't be discouraged.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Does percentile factor in decisions?

Postby Nova » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:23 am

Its the same thing so it doesn't make a difference

User avatar
LexLeon
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: Does percentile factor in decisions?

Postby LexLeon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:20 am

ScottRiqui wrote:Never mind the percentiles; a two-point jump in your LSAT score is a solid improvement, especially at the mid-to-high 160s.

Think of it this way - the LSAT medians among the top twenty schools only vary by nine points, (from 164 to 173). Take Yale out of the equation, and the spread is only seven points. With so many good schools clustered so closely together, your two-point increase has just made you MUCH more attractive.


Isn't Harvard's median 173?

User avatar
LexLeon
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: Does percentile factor in decisions?

Postby LexLeon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:24 am

notalobbyist wrote:Percentiles matter in terms of the applicant pool, not the distribution of the scores for the test. Law school is a business, and if the top 1% can't fill a classroom then schools dig deeper into the scores.

A 169 puts you in good territory relative to your fellow applicants, don't be discouraged.


I don't understand how percentile rank can be irrelevant to "the distribution of the scores for the test."

Isn't the distribution of scores what determines one's percentile rank?

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Does percentile factor in decisions?

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:25 am

LexLeon wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:Never mind the percentiles; a two-point jump in your LSAT score is a solid improvement, especially at the mid-to-high 160s.

Think of it this way - the LSAT medians among the top twenty schools only vary by nine points, (from 164 to 173). Take Yale out of the equation, and the spread is only seven points. With so many good schools clustered so closely together, your two-point increase has just made you MUCH more attractive.


Isn't Harvard's median 173?


You're right - even with Yale out, the spread is still nine points. Still, two points is a nice improvement.

User avatar
LexLeon
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: Does percentile factor in decisions?

Postby LexLeon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:26 am

Nova wrote:Its the same thing so it doesn't make a difference


Do you mean that a 167 is the same thing as a 169? Or do you mean that the combination of scores 167 and 169 is functionally equivalent to the single score 169?

thsmthcrmnl
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Does percentile factor in decisions?

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:26 am

Nova wrote:Its the same thing so it doesn't make a difference

mach9zero
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:02 pm

Re: Does percentile factor in decisions?

Postby mach9zero » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:29 am

LexLeon wrote:
Nova wrote:Its the same thing so it doesn't make a difference


Do you mean that a 167 is the same thing as a 169? Or do you mean that the combination of scores 167 and 169 is functionally equivalent to the single score 169?


Schools are only looking at highest score, so a combined 167 and a 169 is just going to be viewed as a 169.

User avatar
LexLeon
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: Does percentile factor in decisions?

Postby LexLeon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:30 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
LexLeon wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:Never mind the percentiles; a two-point jump in your LSAT score is a solid improvement, especially at the mid-to-high 160s.

Think of it this way - the LSAT medians among the top twenty schools only vary by nine points, (from 164 to 173). Take Yale out of the equation, and the spread is only seven points. With so many good schools clustered so closely together, your two-point increase has just made you MUCH more attractive.


Isn't Harvard's median 173?


You're right - even with Yale out, the spread is still nine points. Still, two points is a nice improvement.


I agree. Jumping ahead of 3% of test takers to the top 3% is certainly solid.

No school is out of the picture on the basis of your scores alone, Paperrev. In my opinion, the score is not what actually matters anyway: What makes a particular score appealing to admissions officers is just how much better it is that some quantity of other scores.

User avatar
LexLeon
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: Does percentile factor in decisions?

Postby LexLeon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:31 am

mach9zero wrote:
LexLeon wrote:
Nova wrote:Its the same thing so it doesn't make a difference


Do you mean that a 167 is the same thing as a 169? Or do you mean that the combination of scores 167 and 169 is functionally equivalent to the single score 169?


Schools are only looking at highest score, so a combined 167 and a 169 is just going to be viewed as a 169.


I think that's true enough--especially because 167 is itself a respectable score.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Does percentile factor in decisions?

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:34 am

LexLeon wrote:
notalobbyist wrote:Percentiles matter in terms of the applicant pool, not the distribution of the scores for the test. Law school is a business, and if the top 1% can't fill a classroom then schools dig deeper into the scores.

A 169 puts you in good territory relative to your fellow applicants, don't be discouraged.


I don't understand how percentile rank can be irrelevant to "the distribution of the scores for the test."

Isn't the distribution of scores what determines one's percentile rank?


Except for small shifts over time, percentiles and scores are pretty much interchangeable. For example, a 170 has been between the 98th percentile and 97th percentile for at least the past twelve years.

Percentiles are nice for telling you how you did compared to the entire pool of LSAT takers, but that's secondary, and of no great importance. What's important is how your score compares to the 25th/50th/75th for the school(s) you're interested in.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Does percentile factor in decisions?

Postby Nova » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:38 am

LexLeon wrote:
Nova wrote:Its the same thing so it doesn't make a difference


Do you mean that a 167 is the same thing as a 169? Or do you mean that the combination of scores 167 and 169 is functionally equivalent to the single score 169?

Im responding to: "do percentiles factor in the admission decision making at all??"

Im saying it doesn't make a difference whether you look at it as 1XX or XX%ile. They mean the same thing.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BobBoblaw, Yahoo [Bot], yamaji96 and 5 guests