Got demolished on Dec. - Need some advice

casyspants

Got demolished on Dec. - Need some advice

Postby casyspants » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:39 pm

First off, congratulations to those of you who did well on the exam!!! I've never gone through a study regimen so mentally and emotionally exhausting as having to prep for this test. Now, onto my own problems...I was scoring low-mid 160s on practice tests leading up to the Dec. LSAT. Even though it was my very first time sitting for the exam, I was pretty confident that I had done moderately well after finishing. Turns out I completely bombed it and got a 158. My LSAC gpa is around a 3.75. Prior to the Dec. exam, I had put in a full 4-5 months of studying. I do not know whether I should go through all of my material and drill drill drill until the next test date and sit this cycle out or simply apply this cycle.

I had my heart set on applying this cycle but things just didn't work out and I'm deriving as many positives as I can from this experience -- Right now, I can't even think about taking the exam again because even though it's been a full month since I sat for the Dec. test, I am still mentally drained. Any advice?

All the best to those who scored well -- I only hope to be able to say I have done the same at some point :oops:

inlovewithpiper

Re: Got demolished on Dec. - Need some advice

Postby inlovewithpiper » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:42 pm

I definitely wouldn't say you completely bombed it on test day from what you've said; in fact, it's quite common to see a slight drop from PT score on test day. You said "lower-to-mid 160s" which would mean high-150s isn't necessarily so far off.

As far as what you should do... well, I think only you can answer that. And best of luck to you.

mark_gg_daniels

Postby mark_gg_daniels » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:10 pm

A 158 is a decent score in my opinion. My score is on hold until I send in some income documents, but if I get a 158 I'll b a bit 'meh' but happy none the les. If you studied for 4-5 months then it may be this is the best score you can get as peoples abilities are different.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:15 pm

What was your study regimen like? I know you mentioned 4-5 months, but how did you drill, PT, etc? With a 3.75 you owe it to yourself to rock the LSAT.

casyspants

Postby casyspants » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:53 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:What was your study regimen like? I know you mentioned 4-5 months, but how did you drill, PT, etc? With a 3.75 you owe it to yourself to rock the LSAT.

I put in a good 8-9 hours each day. I learned the fundamentals from MLSAT's self-study program and then did hundreds of problems from each question type out of the Cambridge packets. I spaced out PT's and did them every few weeks, and then ramped it up closer to the test. It was a very dedicated self study regimen but apparently it wasn't enough :cry:

Edit: Also, after each full PT, I did 7sage's blind review method and would take 1-2 full days (many hours) to review each and every question -- I didn't even look at whether I would get it right or wrong until later in my prep I pretty much did each PT timed and then un-timed

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:01 am

Keep your head up man. I am in the exact same boat with a 159.

Nerves play a huge part!

My personal plan is to still apply this cycle but retake in February and submit my updated score. What is the harm of applying ? You never know and if you submit an updated score it can push you off a wait list or get you in

just my $0.02

casyspants

Postby casyspants » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:12 am

Kevinlomax wrote:Keep your head up man. I am in the exact same boat with a 159.

Nerves play a huge part!

My personal plan is to still apply this cycle but retake in February and submit my updated score. What is the harm of applying ? You never know and if you submit an updated score it can push you off a wait list or get you in

just my $0.02

Do law schools count it against an applicant if said applicant has previously applied and didn't gain admission during a previous year if I were to apply this cycle, see how I did, and chose to hold off? Just trying to mull over my options...

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:53 am

No. To my knowledge applying to the same school twice shows that you have a desire to actually go to that school and/or law school in general

casyspants

Postby casyspants » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:55 am

Kevinlomax wrote:No. To my knowledge applying to the same school twice shows that you have a desire to actually go to that school and/or law school in general

Thanks! And best of luck to you in Feb. -- you'll do great :P

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”