Mother of 2 Prepping for LSAT

Da1stLady

Postby Da1stLady » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:26 am

Happy New Year!
So I posted a while ago here, but wanted to see if there are any support groups out there for mothers who are taking care of small children and preparing for the LSAT and law school. First, let me give some additional info about myself and my situation.
I am 27 years old and have a 4yr old son & a 5 month old daughter. Both of my kids attend a an academy during the day. I am aware of the time contsraints that I may be presented with, but I refuse to allow any obstacles to stand in my way of attending law school as my 2014 goal. My spouse has already agreed to allow me to pursue my dream of becoming a lawyer so there will be a lot of in house support as well as family who will assist me in my pursuit. I am just curious to see if there are any parents out there who are balancing, juggling, failing, succeeding at lsat prep/law school and parenthood. Also I am willing to receive advice in general regarding my situation.

Eduactional Background:
B.A. Criminal Justice
3.6 GPA
URM

Hoping to take LSAT in June or September.

Darmody

Re: Mother of 2 Prepping for LSAT

Postby Darmody » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:37 pm

They don't offer it in September, but there's one in October.

Da1stLady

Postby Da1stLady » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:49 pm

Moved post from different forum.

Happy New Year!
So I posted a while ago here, but wanted to see if there are any support groups out there for mothers who are taking care of small children and preparing for the LSAT and law school. First, let me give some additional info about myself and my situation.
I am 27 years old and have a 4yr old son & a 5 month old daughter. Both of my kids attend a an academy during the day. I am aware of the time contsraints that I may be presented with, but I refuse to allow any obstacles to stand in my way of attending law school as my 2014 goal. My spouse has already agreed to allow me to pursue my dream of becoming a lawyer so there will be a lot of in house support as well as family who will assist me in my pursuit. I am just curious to see if there are any parents out there who are balancing, juggling, failing, succeeding at lsat prep/law school and parenthood. Also I am willing to receive advice in general regarding my situation, lsat prep info, study groups, law school networking opportunities, etc.

Eduactional Background:
B.A. Criminal Justice
3.6 GPA
URM

Louis1127

Postby Louis1127 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:58 pm

Have you taken a diagnostic LSAT yet- an official LSAT under timed conditions (like the free one on LSAC's website which is June 2007)? I ask because your study plan is going to look a whole lot different if you diag at 160 than if you diag at 145.

bound

Postby bound » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:03 pm

Darmody wrote:They don't offer it in September, but there's one in October.

2014 is switching to september I believe.

Da1stLady

Postby Da1stLady » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:15 pm

Thanks for the correction.

bound

Postby bound » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:18 pm

So I can't give you any advice from the "mother" side of things, but I can give you some advice as someone who has had to balance a ton of things and also study for the LSAT.

My first piece of advice is to start sooner than you otherwise would think is necessary. Things come up. And as a mother, I can only imagine that things come up quite often. For me, working full time obviously meant less time to study each day, so I needed to spread it out over a longer time period.

Second, with studying longer, you need to avoid burnout. I'm not sure what your current schedule is (if you are a stay-at-home mom, or also work in addition to being a momma) but burnout is very real. So it will take some trial and error, but create a schedule that allows you to do a little each day (with one day off - I'm a huge advocate of that) without burning out. For example, I was able to study each morning before work for 1-2 hours, and also each lunch break for 1 hr. So usually only 2-3 hours per weekday. Saturday would consist of a PT at 8am (the time of the test), and Sunday would be review of that test. I found this to be a very efficient schedule for me. I never burnt out, and was able to do all of the things that I needed to do. While I don't know how realistic it is for you to do something in the mornings (getting kids ready for school and such) find a time that works for you, and at an hour you will be efficient. If that doesn't work for you during the week, anticipate longer weekend days.

I would start with self study. I recommend Manhattan and Cambridge for LR, Powerscore Bibles for LG, and I never used anything for RC so maybe someone else can chime in for that. I would start NOW also. That way, if after a month or two you really don't feel like you are gaining any ground, you can look into a class. I don't think classes are necessary, by any means, but a lot of people do. Start your studying with a diagnotic PT, see where you're at, and then begin studying.

good luck!

Da1stLady

Postby Da1stLady » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:18 pm

No, not just yet. I definitely will take your advice and do just that to see how to strategize for a study plan. I am sure that I will require more months to prepare than others without similar situations.

Da1stLady

Postby Da1stLady » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:29 pm

Austinbound,
I greatly appreciate the advice. I am definitely starting sooner, actually today to ensure I can pace myself not to burn out. I know I will have to sacrifice a lot of time with my family, but I can definitely balance it without neglecting them. I am a stay at home mom presently, but will be returning to work within a couple of months. I am thinking that studying late nights will possibly work best when I return to work while everyone is asleep and the house is quiet, also currently during the day when the children are at school. I plan on studying at the most 4 hrs or less. I am also learning to meditate to hopefully allow my mind to focus more on studying and balancing life with this new endeavor of mine. I have the Princeton Review "Cracking LSAT" & Kaplan, but in reading your post I will definitely invest in the books you have recommended as well. Right now I am trying to compile information and resources to hit the ground running.

Darmody

Postby Darmody » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:47 pm

Austinbound wrote:

Is this real life?

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:47 pm

I'm happy to provide my perspective. I took the Dec 2012 LSAT with about 2 months of prep time. I have a 5-year-old son (then 4) & work about 50-55 hours a week, with a 50-minute one-way commute. My wife works evenings as well. Here was my recipe:

-The time from the end of the work day until my son's bedtime was "no LSAT" time. It was just he and I after picking him up from daycare, and I didn't want to just stick him in front of the TV for 3 hours while I drilled.

-As soon as I put him down for bed, the next 3 hours were "pure LSAT" time. I spent these three hours drilling either LR or RC (one per day only) + LG drilling every day. This was also where I went through the bibles, Manhattan & basically followed the "pithypike" guide on here as closely as I could given my time constraint. Search pithypike and use his plan, trust me.

-Saturdays and Sundays were 6-hour LSAT days. My wife understood and was very helpful in the process...no guilt trips when I went to the library, for example. PT days, PT reviews, more drilling. Those were my weekend days, no exceptions.

My result? I hit the minimum score I wanted on the button (without giving it away, it was 170+) even though I choked on 2 LG questions. My cold diagnostic was 160.

The different days/times of days became almost Pavlovian to me. Put kid down...grab water, timer, pencil & drill. Wake up on Saturday...eat breakfast with family, put on comfy clothes, drag my books/PTs to library or coffee house & go to work. Repeat for 8 weeks straight. Get good score. Get into T14's even with uber-shitty GPA. That was my plan. It worked!

Your obvious wrinkle is the infant. However, I wasn't able to gather whether or not you worked outside the home while your kids are at the academy. If not, you have a tailor-made 30-hour a week job called the LSAT just waiting for you! If you do have a job, find your 3 hours per day and stick to it.

Bottom line: it's absolutely possible to juggle life and LSAT. Good luck!

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:17 pm

Austinbound wrote:

Also, sometimes the "October" test is technically at the end of September (I took it September 29 one year).

And, I'm going to merge this with your other thread (if any of the posts end up looking weird).

sarahmargie

Postby sarahmargie » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:39 pm

I had five kids when I prepped for the LSAT and I am now a 2L at a pretty good law school. My advice is to prep whenever you can. There are no special rules for people with kids; you just have to carve out chunks of time like anyone else. You might have to give up something you enjoy to find the time. Maybe there is something you think you can't give up but you really can. I gave up housecleaning.

Da1stLady

Postby Da1stLady » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:44 pm

SocoLaw,
You are a God send. I am so pumped and motivated even more now than before. So glad that you acknowledged that you spent quality time with your son. Your recipe obviously turned into a very delicious meal considering your score. Btw, I do not work outside the home while the kids are away at the present moment, but will be in a couple of months. I will definitely be posting my study plan after I compile all the resources and info to see what you all think of it and to get input.

Da1stLady

Postby Da1stLady » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:50 pm

sarahmargie wrote:I had five kids when I prepped for the LSAT and I am now a 2L at a pretty good law school. My advice is to prep whenever you can. There are no special rules for people with kids; you just have to carve out chunks of time like anyone else. You might have to give up something you enjoy to find the time. Maybe there is something you think you can't give up but you really can. I gave up housecleaning.

I couldn't stop laughing at the latter. Here I am worrying about 2 and you have 5. You are a SUPERWOMAN/ SUPERMOM! It really goes to show that it is definitely possible. The idea is for me to give up social activities outside of spending time with my spouse & kids for a while and go into complete isolation, not only for studying, but for personal development as well. I salute you, mam!

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:23 pm

While it's been a long time since I prepped, I have 2 young kids (3.5 and .5) and worried a lot about how to balance work and time with them. But, what's surprised me is how much more efficient I am with my time now. I think you'll find the same thing.

LSAT prep can be pretty demoralizing for some folks, so make sure you
1) figure out the score that is the lowest score that makes you in the running for 2-3 schools (you probably can do better, but keep that low goal in the back of your mind)
2) set small point gain goals that you celebrate -- don't just keep comparing your score to a 180
3) expect some plateaus and small dips in your PT scores along the way.

If you end up with our guides or self-study course, feel free to reach out and I'll be your cheerleader along the way. Parents must unite (or the kids will win and it'll be oreos for dinner every night :wink: ).

aalvez

Mother University of Texas Prepping for LSAT

Postby aalvez » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:48 pm

I am a mother of a nine year old, I work a full time job and I go to school full time, however until January I only have one class - thank God. I am taking the LSAT in February, I just started prepping this past week with the Powerscore bibles. My stats:

B.A. Criminal Justice
GPA 3.65

My cold diagnostic was a 150 and I want to get into the University of Texas Law because I have lived in Austin all my life and cannot up-root my family. I am 28, I am a hispanic minority, and I graduated high school 6 months pregnant - I have NEVER given up and I refuse to not get into UT Law. My question is what score would I need on the LSAT? I know UT is hard to get into but I do not have another option... (undergrad is not from UT).

Deardevil

Re: Mother University of Texas Prepping for LSAT

Postby Deardevil » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:01 pm

aalvez wrote:I am a mother of a nine year old, I work a full time job and I go to school full time, however until January I only have one class - thank God. I am taking the LSAT in February, I just started prepping this past week with the Powerscore bibles. My stats:

B.A. Criminal Justice
GPA 3.65

My cold diagnostic was a 150 and I want to get into the University of Texas Law because I have lived in Austin all my life and cannot up-root my family. I am 28, I am a hispanic minority, and I graduated high school 6 months pregnant - I have NEVER given up and I refuse to not get into UT Law. My question is what score would I need on the LSAT? I know UT is hard to get into but I do not have another option... (undergrad is not from UT).

If you're Mexican or Puerto Rican, I think you'll be fine in the 160s.

aalvez

Re: Mother University of Texas Prepping for LSAT

Postby aalvez » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:12 pm

Deardevil wrote:
aalvez wrote:I am a mother of a nine year old, I work a full time job and I go to school full time, however until January I only have one class - thank God. I am taking the LSAT in February, I just started prepping this past week with the Powerscore bibles. My stats:

B.A. Criminal Justice
GPA 3.65

If you're Mexican or Puerto Rican, I think you'll be fine in the 160s.

Thank you!

klaudiaxo

Postby klaudiaxo » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:45 pm

Da1stLady wrote:Happy New Year!
I am 27 years old and have a 4yr old son & a 5 month old daughter. Both of my kids attend a an academy during the day. I am aware of the time contsraints that I may be presented with, but I refuse to allow any obstacles to stand in my way of attending law school as my 2014 goal. My spouse has already agreed to allow me to pursue my dream of becoming a lawyer so there will be a lot of in house support as well as family who will assist me in my pursuit. I am just curious to see if there are any parents out there who are balancing, juggling, failing, succeeding at lsat prep/law school and parenthood. Also I am willing to receive advice in general regarding my situation.

Eduactional Background:
B.A. Criminal Justice
3.6 GPA
URM

Me! I have a one year old (turning one next week) I actually posted a similar thread recently

I started at 149 and now I'm averaging in the 160's. I study at the library 2-3 hours per day, but I need to get more done on the weekend. It is super difficult with a baby.

aalvez

Postby aalvez » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:26 pm

klaudiaxo wrote:
Da1stLady wrote:Happy New Year!

Eduactional Background:
B.A. Criminal Justice
3.6 GPA
URM

Me! I have a one year old (turning one next week) I actually posted a similar thread recently

I started at 149 and now I'm averaging in the 160's. I study at the library 2-3 hours per day, but I need to get more done on the weekend. It is super difficult with a baby.

Good luck! I'm taking Feb LSAT and trying to do all the studying possible. My diagnostic was 151/152 and haven't had time to PT again yet but I've been doing full sections, still not where I want to be. I have a 9 year old and I work full time. It's hard but we can do it!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”