Those 175+, where were you 2 months proceeding the real test

crazyvix

Those 175+, where were you 2 months proceeding the real test

Postby crazyvix » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:47 am

I'm writing in Feb,23rd in Asia so I have almost like 2 months left.
My target score is somewhere between 175-178, I just want to know where those who scored 175+ were 2 months before the real test? Were you already like 173 or something?

My average score till now is 171, best 175, worst 165.

LG average: -0
LR average: -4
RC average: -5

I have already done PT 1-55 (30-55 twice), of course I need to do the rest tests under strict time condition, but is there something more I can do to improve my score?

crazyvix

Re: Those 175+, where were you 2 months proceeding the real test

Postby crazyvix » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:49 am

Oh, right. Happy New Year everyone! have an amazing 2014!
Those who are struggling for LSAT, who are expecting offers, who have already got in their dream schools, who still alive, wish you all the best! :)

Postby 03152016 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:08 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:51 pm

Back in the day, I studied seven weeks (got mad at boss in October, signed up for December LSAT) -- my starting point was 171, and by the last month I was consistently scoring 178-180, with one or two outliers in the mid-170s. Final score 177. For me, the big jump was learning to diagram logic games -- before that I couldn't finish. It looks like you're already there, though. I thought the Powerscore Bibles were really helpful with those question types that gave me trouble; maybe those will help you on your other two sections -- especially if you can identify a pattern to the question types you are missing.

crazyvix

Postby crazyvix » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:09 am

Max324 wrote:I made pretty consistent gains for six months before my first take. I gained about two points on my PT average per month until test day. After the Bibles I was in the high 160s range, after drilling I was in the mid-170s, got my first 180 about a month and a half out from test day, was mostly 180s by the end of prep. (Still managed to bomb my first take though!)

If you're trying to determine if you'll be prepped by test day, consider a) whether you're still making gains, and b) how consistent your scores are. If you're close to test day and you're still making gains week over week, you haven't hit your plateau, and could probably eke out more points if you waited. And if your scores are inconsistent, you probably have weak areas -- it may be worth waiting, as you don't want to rely on getting a test that happens to match your strengths.

ETA: to answer your question more specifically, can you detail what guides you've read, what drilling you've done, etc.? And can you break down your LR and RC scores a little more (strong/weak question types, passage types).

Thank you!
Here is what I have already done/read: PT 1-50, Manhattan LR, PS Bible LR/LG, Cambridge packets.

I have finished all the chapters on MLSAT LR, and then drilled the corresponding question types on cambridge.. I am now redoing all the PTs from 30-50 without time constraint so that I know exactly why correct answer is correct and why wrong answers are wrong. The real problem is RC tho.. don't really know how to review them.

As for the breakdown of scores,
My biggest problem on LR is MBT type.. I know most people don't have problem with them, but almost 30% of all the questions I got wrong fell in the MBT type, I hate scope shift blah blah blah... as for other question types, I don't really have like a big problem with them, I'm pretty decent at flaw and parallel even though most people find them quite hard.

As for RC, I don't think some specific type of passages would give me most trouble, I just hate it when I have to use all those LR techniques to tackle RC questions.. Also as RC gets harder, the correct answers seem to be better at hiding within a bunch of traps.

Postby 03152016 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:21 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drevo

Postby drevo » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:36 pm

I scored a 175 on Oct. 13 (RC: -3, LR: -3, LG: -0) after studying for just short of 3 months. 2 months out I was probably PTing around 170 IIRC. RC was always my worst and up until the last month I usually would make a dumb mistake or two on LG. During the Last 4-6 weeks of prep I was stuck at PTing at 172-173. Literally every single PT I took within that time was a 173 with a couple 172s sprinkled in. Since you already have LG down the area my experience might help you with is LR.

A couple weeks before the test I was basically forced to take a 5 day break due to procrastinating in school and having a week filled with exams and papers. After that break I went back to take a PT fearing that the break was going to hurt my score. On the contrary I scored a 177, my first time breaking the 175+ plateau. What I believe really helped me was that the break forced me to forget about the mistakes I made on my previous PT LR sections and instead I just focused on the argument. Instead of actively remembering "last time they fooled with me question type X, so I need to look out for that," I simply approached the harder LRs as "what's the premise, support, and conclusion." It sounds kind of obvious but I think I got away from just simplifying the questions and trying to hard to correct the mistakes I made in the past.

As for RC, it was always my worst section in PTs and could swing wildly. What helped me was when I started the section I would quickly flip through all the passages and then write down the number of questions for each passage. Then I would attack them by highest amount of questions to lowest. If they had the same number of questions I would chose the passage that came later in the section to do first (i.e. passage 3&4 both have 7 questions, I did 4 then 3). This strategy allowed me to finish most RC sections with a few minutes of spare time to go back over harder questions, whereas before I was barely finishing in time. On test day this extra time actually allowed me to change two answers once I went back over them and they turned out to be the correct changes.

Summary: For LR always try to keep in mind "what's the premise, support, and conclusion." As simple and basic as it is I definitely tried to do too much and this was the big thing that allowed me to finally break out of my month long 173 PT scores. For RC you may want to try the strategy above and see how it works for you. Also this far out you can toy with taking a longer breaks between PTs, for some people, like me, this was helpful. For others breaks hurt them so you gotta just experiment.

Lastly, I finally broke that plateau like 1-2 weeks before the real test and only had 2 fresh PTs left when I finally got that first 175+ PT. So with a bunch of PT's at 172-173 and only two above that, at 177 and 176 ,I was still able to carry it into the real test and get my 175. However, you have much more time so I think you are in a great position to finally break through and easily hit a 175+. I am happy as hell with my 175 and cannot believe the schools I now am competitive for, but I do think that if I had that breakthrough in PTs a few weeks earlier in my prep I could've really nailed LR down to -0 and possibly scored a 178 on the real deal.

Good luck and if anything above isn't clear let em know and I will try to clarify.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”