Postby BillPackets » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:52 pm

edawg212 wrote:PT 66 yesterday

Experimental LR from mid 2000's
RC: -4
LR: -2
LG: -2

I saw my biggest flaw this go around is in:

Questions that ask about the author of the readings!

Anyone have any tips for these?

In RC ?

edawg212

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby edawg212 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:53 pm

BillPackets wrote:
edawg212 wrote:PT 66 yesterday

Experimental LR from mid 2000's
RC: -4
LG: -2

I saw my biggest flaw this go around is in:

Questions that ask about the author of the readings!

Anyone have any tips for these?

In RC ?

yep

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:56 pm

What kind of Q specifically bc there r various Qs that involve the author such as "it can be inferred that the author would most likely agree with..." "The passage most strongly suggests that the author would agree with all of the following EXCEPT..." Etc etc etc

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:57 pm

I hate RC with a passion.

smccgrey wrote:I was watcing TGW on Netflix and was super excited to start watching the most recent season, then heard about THE UNSPEAKABLE THING THAT HAPPENED and just couldn't watch any more.

ILU Alicia

YOU MUST CONTINUE WATCHING! Just because Julianna Margulies is amazing!

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:57 pm

BillPackets wrote:What kind of Q specifically bc there r various Qs that involve the author such as "it can be inferred that the author would most likely agree with..." "The passage most strongly suggests that the author would agree with all of the following EXCEPT..." Etc etc etc

The thing I do whenever I read a passage is circle all word choice that points to an author's bias. You have to pay attention to the way in which things are phrased, the connotations of word choice. I had made this RC post about the TDCs, if I remember correctly, that kind of illustrated that. Let me go hunting...

ETA: Maybe I got shy and didn't post it? It was this series of sentences describing Bill's TDCs with subtle author bias included in each. Anyone remember that?
Last edited by sfoglia on Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BJS

Postby BJS » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:58 pm

I was interested how 7Sage didn't set up templates for PT72 G4, which is what he normally does with games and what I tried to do with this one. In the end, I think doing so slowed me down substantially and hindered my willingness to actually attack the questions. When I went back after the PT in my review and just, well, attacked the questions I picked them up fairly easily.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:00 pm

WorldsCollide wrote:I hate RC with a passion.

smccgrey wrote:I was watcing TGW on Netflix and was super excited to start watching the most recent season, then heard about THE UNSPEAKABLE THING THAT HAPPENED and just couldn't watch any more.

ILU Alicia

I HATED him after Alicia left. The way he responded was just so disgusting. But then I rewatched the second season and I realized that he was in absolute, total love with her. She didn't love him at all. When he accidentally says, "I love you" before hanging up the phone, and she brushes it off so quickly. He meant it! Ughh, heartbreaking. I have so much more sympathy for him now. I can understand why he felt so betrayed.

But you have to watch Grey. One of the best episodes of television I have ever seen, ever. The acting is incredible; the guest star is brilliant.

Gray

Postby Gray » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:09 pm

sfoglia wrote:But you have to watch Grey. One of the best episodes of television I have ever seen, ever. The acting is incredible; the guest star is brilliant.

I probably will.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:22 pm

how tf do you guys do this shit without drugs hats fucking off to you famn

Hand

Postby Hand » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:28 pm

Just finished PT71. That mirror passage.... the passage itself was fine actually, but those questions are like:

The rest of the test seemed fine/nothing out of the ordinary to me tho (the games were comparatively easy, although I messed up the last question because I can't read); performed my average so I'm feeling good to go for next week.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:37 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:how tf do you guys do this shit without drugs hats fucking off to you famn

Baseball when the drugs kick in:

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:39 pm

but really its somewhat like that man.

btw i might not post the day of the test cuz ill probably be in jail within an hour after leaving the TC

Hand

Postby Hand » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:39 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:how tf do you guys do this shit without drugs hats fucking off to you famn

Baseball when the drugs kick in:

that is one amazing gif

to answer your question baseball... I dunno, I just drink tons of coffee. Aren't you worried about how you are ever gonna get back to trying do shit without the aid stimulants? That would be my worry.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:50 pm

not really. the level of thinking that the lsat requires makes it worth it. i can read and comprehend fine. its just that i do it at a more efficient pace otherwise

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:46 pm

sfoglia wrote:
WorldsCollide wrote:I hate RC with a passion.

ILU Alicia

I HATED him after Alicia left. The way he responded was just so disgusting. But then I rewatched the second season and I realized that he was in absolute, total love with her. She didn't love him at all. When he accidentally says, "I love you" before hanging up the phone, and she brushes it off so quickly. He meant it! Ughh, heartbreaking. I have so much more sympathy for him now. I can understand why he felt so betrayed.

But you have to watch Grey. One of the best episodes of television I have ever seen, ever. The acting is incredible; the guest star is brilliant.

I was never much of a Willicia fan (sorry). I always felt that she didn't 100% love him.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:48 pm

****PT71 SPOILER******

20 LR2 PT 71 is srsly a tricky dick of a flaw Q

Edit I would like to add that the principle q #22 is also pretty tricky bc the application states that "since 3 of the books K has out are overdue..." then in A it states "some of the books Kessler has out on loans are not children's books..." so basically I know when I read A) I was like oh cool this is obvs the answer bc it tells us that some of those 3 books he has are not children's books (necessary for the principle to kick in)...BUT the application only says "since three of the books..." this leaves room for K to have more than 3 books but of course if u r being lazy or not reading carefully you just read "k has 3 books out, and each book is overdue" and when u read it like that A is the perfect answer
Last edited by BillPackets on Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:53 pm

dont come to the fucking library and talk you cunts

Hand

Postby Hand » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:57 pm

BillPackets wrote:#20 LR2 PT 71 is srsly a tricky dick of a flaw Q

yeah (A) is another flaw in it so you're forced to determine what the more serious flaw is, tricky bastards

Hand

Postby Hand » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:58 pm

BillPackets wrote:****PT71 SPOILER******

20 LR2 PT 71 is srsly a tricky dick of a flaw Q

Edit I would like to add that the principle q #22 is also pretty tricky bc the application states that "since 3 of the books K has out are overdue..." then in A it states "some of the books Kessler has out on loans are not children's books..." so basically I know when I read A) I was like oh cool this is obvs the answer bc it tells us that some of those 3 books he has are not children's books (necessary for the principle to kick in)...BUT the application only says "since three of the books..." this leaves room for K to have more than 3 books but of course if u r being lazy or not reading carefully you just read "k has 3 books out, and each book is overdue" and when u read it like that A is the perfect answer

I sure hope you got that library question correct bill, being the threads conan the librarian and all

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:58 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:59 pm

I never understood the difficulty of this game. Was it just different and people didn't understand the lingo? Or did people fail to make the obvious inference that M>J

BJS

Postby BJS » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:02 pm

I'm super frustrated. I feel like I'm going to be in the December thread in late October (maybe before) preparing for my final take. My diagnostic was a 167, but even now I'm only scoring 171-174. IF - and that's a huge hypothetical - I can score in that range, I still feel like I'm underperforming what I should be able to get. I mean FFS everyone else is scoring like 10-15 points above their diag. Even worse, I'm not improving. I've been 171-174 since I started PTing in late July.

ilikebaseball wrote:I never understood the difficulty of this game. Was it just different and people didn't understand the lingo? Or did people fail to make the obvious inference that M>J

I made the M to J inference immediately, but then spent most of my time setting up templates because I thought that would be the fastest solution. I never really took the time to understand the game pattern and apply it directly to the questions. Like Q21 I selected A even though on review I immediately knew that was wrong and identified C without much difficulty. For me, it was really a breakdown in game strategy. ETA: Also, having it as G4 of my sixth section was rough.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:05 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
BillPackets wrote:#20 LR2 PT 71 is srsly a tricky dick of a flaw Q

yeah (A) is another flaw in it so you're forced to determine what the more serious flaw is, tricky bastards

Well per manhattan A isn't even a flaw bc the argument doesn't extrapolate from one group to a larger group...the argument only talks about "ppl w close psychic ties" or friends and family members the example they gave was something like let's say you taught a 4th grader quantum mechanics you would then b able 2 say it is possible to teach quantum mechanics to 4th graders since you taught that one kid in that scenario like #20 it's not applying the argument to a group outside of the group that's being discussed

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:05 pm

BJS wrote:I'm super frustrated. I feel like I'm going to be in the December thread in late October (maybe before) preparing for my final take. My diagnostic was a 167, but even now I'm only scoring 171-174. IF - and that's a huge hypothetical - I can score in that range, I still feel like I'm underperforming what I should be able to get. I mean FFS everyone else is scoring like 10-15 points above their diag. Even worse, I'm not improving. I've been 171-174 since I started PTing in late July.

I'll be taking the December regardless because I'm not even close to scoring where I want to be. I'm worried about applications and certain schools writing me off after whatever I get next week.

BJS

Postby BJS » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:07 pm

WorldsCollide wrote:
BJS wrote:I'm super frustrated. I feel like I'm going to be in the December thread in late October (maybe before) preparing for my final take. My diagnostic was a 167, but even now I'm only scoring 171-174. IF - and that's a huge hypothetical - I can score in that range, I still feel like I'm underperforming what I should be able to get. I mean FFS everyone else is scoring like 10-15 points above their diag. Even worse, I'm not improving. I've been 171-174 since I started PTing in late July.

I'll be taking the December regardless because I'm not even close to scoring where I want to be. I'm worried about applications and certain schools writing me off after whatever I get next week.

Real talk: what are your past five PT scores?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”