The Official September 2014 Study Group

PeanutsNJam

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:04 pm

smccgrey wrote:Movie's explanation is better.

Yeah now that I recall back to when I took the PT, I remember noting the words "until". It would mean that the diners stopped praising the food after finding out it was the sous chef, but I had chosen D at that point and you know what the rule is about changing your answer when you're uncertain: don't do it. I focused more on key words:

D had critics and embarrassment, and the critics changing their opinions afterwards
C had forgery and the diners changing their opinion afterwards

(but in the passage there wasn't clear evidence that the art critics said the painting wasn't as good as they originally said it was after discovering someone else painted it...)

:(

This is a question that if it appeared on my actual exam, I would definitely petition.

TL;DR: C and D are both wrong and LSAT is stupid
Last edited by PeanutsNJam on Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:06 pm

BRB submitting this as a LOR

Also: Kidding aside, when is it okay to "remind" an letter writer to uh, start writing?

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:17 pm

smccgrey wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:pnj + colonel: This book is so good I love it. Btw we hate gays.
author: Lol this book is pro-gay marriage you homophobic phaggets

I think answer choice D is better. It's true D isn't a forgery, but C isn't either. The diners didn't go "this food must have been cooked by Mr. Chef X because it's so good." D does create an embarrassing situation for the critics involved though, so it seems closer to the relevant situation than C...

First of all, 180 examples.

I think C is a forgery in the way the painter in that paragraph is a forger - it's basically an imitation of the master chef's great recipe for food/paintings. The painter created the painting using a master's techniques exactly, and presented it to an unknowing audience. The sous chef did basically the same thing.

The problem with D is that it doesn't relate to that specific situation in the passage. It would be D if the passage was like a master painter who produced a masterpiece, critics loved it and praised his technique with oil paints, and then he was like yeah I made this with crayons and its a painting of your mom.

That's how I looked at it anyway.

CAN WE ALL STOP ASSUMING ITS A SOUS CHEF WHEN IT COULDVE BEEN A LINE COOK

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:18 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:

Also: Kidding aside, when is it okay to "remind" an letter writer to uh, start writing?

I'd give it 2 weeks from the time they agreed to write the letter. Just say:

"Bitch I know you said you'd write the letter, now I've got to send these applications out by X date and if I don't have any letters by that time I'm going to burn everything you love."

But that might be a bit vulgar, so instead, write:

"Dear Professor X,

I know you must be very busy, but I would like to send out my applications as soon as possible, and this is just a reminder to send out my letter of recommendation at your earliest convenience. Please let me know if there is anything you need or if there's anything I can do to assist you. Thanks again for agreeing to speak on my behalf.

Sincerely,

hetookmetoamovie"

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:18 pm

PNJ wrote: LSAT is stupid

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:23 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
smccgrey wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:pnj + colonel: This book is so good I love it. Btw we hate gays.

I think answer choice D is better. It's true D isn't a forgery, but C isn't either. The diners didn't go "this food must have been cooked by Mr. Chef X because it's so good." D does create an embarrassing situation for the critics involved though, so it seems closer to the relevant situation than C...

I think C is a forgery in the way the painter in that paragraph is a forger - it's basically an imitation of the master chef's great recipe for food/paintings. The painter created the painting using a master's techniques exactly, and presented it to an unknowing audience. The sous chef did basically the same thing.

The problem with D is that it doesn't relate to that specific situation in the passage. It would be D if the passage was like a master painter who produced a masterpiece, critics loved it and praised his technique with oil paints, and then he was like yeah I made this with crayons and its a painting of your mom.

I just realized that answer choice C is kind of like the climax in Ratatouille

Hand

Postby Hand » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:23 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:

Depends; did you give your letter writer a deadline? If not, tell 'm that you forgot to make it clear when it needs to be in but shit really needs to be in by date X. If you did, don't remind them 'till it's almost the deadline, I'd say.

btw I really adored 'boyhood' despite the absence of fights to the death and other such ingredients that normally elicit my fancy

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:24 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
smccgrey wrote:

I just realized that answer choice C is kind of like the climax in Ratatouille

/thread

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:25 pm

"This is the best food ever."

"Yeah... a rat cooked it."

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:30 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:"This is the best food ever."

10. Which situation is most analogous to the embarrassment in the passage?

C) a group of high brow food connoisseurs praise the wonderful delicacies of an establishment until they find out it was fixed by a rodent parading as a chef

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:31 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Professor X

seriously tho, option #1 might work better on my ex-boss

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:33 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:"This is the best food ever."

10. Which situation is most analogous to the embarrassment in the passage?

C) a group of high brow food connoisseurs praise the wonderful delicacies of an establishment until they find out it was fixed by a rodent parading as a chef

Would bubble in darker and with more care than any other question

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:34 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote: a rodent parading as a chef

#movieplotsin6words

Hand

Postby Hand » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:36 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote: a rodent parading as a chef

#movieplotsin6words

#snakesinamotherfuckingkitchen

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:45 pm

hereisonehand wrote:Depends; did you give your letter writer a deadline? If not, tell 'm that you forgot to make it clear when it needs to be in but shit really needs to be in by date X. If you did, don't remind them 'till it's almost the deadline, I'd say.

btw I really adored 'boyhood' despite the absence of fights to the death and other such ingredients that normally elicit my fancy

UGH, major tactical error -- I didn't give them a deadline. Time for another mincing email!

I watched Boyhood while reading the first of the Karl Ove Knaussgard (totally ponderous) autobiographical novels, so my notion of time was really warped that week.

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:46 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Would bubble in darker and with more care than any other question

Not sure why, but this made me lose it completely

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:50 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Would bubble in darker and with more care than any other question

Not sure why, but this made me lose it completely

HAND wrote: #snakesinamotherfuckingkitchen

The indispensability of every member of this thread keeps growing

Gray

Postby Gray » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:03 pm

once again I am reminded that I love you all.

BJS

Postby BJS » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:05 pm

PT72 - 172
S1 RC: -2
S2 (PT35 S1 LR1): -2
S3 LR1: -3
S4 LR2: -2
S5 (PT35 S2 RC): -0
S6 LG: -3

Obviously I'm not happy. All three of my LG came in the last three questions. I understood the basic concept of the game, but needed more time (and/or stamina) to make the inferences to answer it quickly. Having it as the fourth game in a six-section PT was definitely hard. I'm looking forward to going back and reviewing it untimed so I can really see all of the inferences. Apart from that, though, I was surprised by the mundane difficulty of the LR questions. They felt generally more difficult and required a deeper understanding of the logic than many in earlier PTs, but none of them were especially impossible.

Also, 7Sage's PT grading system is absolute shit. I don't understand why they have a comments sections that makes it almost impossible to scroll down as you're grading. I also don't understand why they can't break down the sections like LSATqa does so I have to go hunt for where I missed questions. Why would you ever use 7Sage for PT grading and analytics versus LSATqa? Serious question.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:12 pm

smccgrey wrote:once again I am reminded that I love you all.

Member this grey?

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:12 pm

Game #4 in PrepTest 68 is a hater.

If I didn't like my score this time around (in September) and I retook the test in December but already applied by Thanksgiving... would Law Schools even look at my application if the first score puts me underneath their LSAT floor (the lowest score they are willing to admit)?

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:22 pm

WorldsCollide wrote:Game #4 in PrepTest 68 is a hater.

Gray

Postby Gray » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
smccgrey wrote:once again I am reminded that I love you all.

Member this grey?

STILL TRUE

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:36 pm

If I didn't like my score this time around (in September) and I retook the test in December but already applied by Thanksgiving... would Law Schools even look at my application if the first score puts me underneath their LSAT floor (the lowest score they are willing to admit)?

solid Q

BJS

Postby BJS » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:38 pm

I believe schools would see that you were registered for December and hold the application.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”