The Official September 2014 Study Group

Gray

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Gray » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:50 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
smccgrey wrote:I forgot to mention that I had a dream last night where I was just freaking the fuck out about how mirrors work. I was basically having a psychotic break.

This sounds tragic.

What is my life?

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:53 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:You bitches need to answer my legitimate LSAT question thread instead of derping around in here

Dafuq you talking about, I didn't see no damn question from you

PT 61 RC

#10: The question asks which reaction is most analogous to "the great embarrassment of the critics". Answer choice C is TCR, but I don't see how that situation is embarrassing. However, answer choice D would indeed result in the literary critics having their foot in their mouths. Why is C right and D wrong?

I looked at the question again, and it seems to be vague regarding whether it's referring to the "reaction" of the critics mentioned in line 13, or referring to the reaction of the "critics" mentioned in line 13. I.E. which answer choice is most analogous to the embarrassment mentioned in line 13, or which answer choice is most analogous to the general reaction of the critics who were mentioned in line 13.

I need HALP.

Alright pnj fyi I hated that question n it's been awhile since 61. But here's where I tjink the issue lies.

In passage, if I i Rememeber correct, they are embarrassed bc they find out what they think is an original is done by someone else.

In C, they praise the famous restaurants food but then find out it's not the famous chef cooking it. So they think one chef is whippin up the goods then find out its not The one they praisin

In D, I think it'd be more correct if they found out it was actually a differnt author writing the book rather than the same author with differnt views than they agree with. D could bring about embarrassment but not analogous embarrassment.

Idk if this helps

QFNP since on topic

Also eta I think my main issue w c is they don't make it clear they are "praising the chef"

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:53 am

smccgrey wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
smccgrey wrote:I forgot to mention that I had a dream last night where I was just freaking the fuck out about how mirrors work. I was basically having a psychotic break.

This sounds tragic.

What is my life?

That's hiw i feel after every lsat dream

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:29 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:PT 61 RC

#10: The question asks which reaction is most analogous to "the great embarrassment of the critics". Answer choice C is TCR, but I don't see how that situation is embarrassing. However, answer choice D would indeed result in the literary critics having their foot in their mouths. Why is C right and D wrong?

I looked at the question again, and it seems to be vague regarding whether it's referring to the "reaction" of the critics mentioned in line 13, or referring to the reaction of the "critics" mentioned in line 13. I.E. which answer choice is most analogous to the embarrassment mentioned in line 13, or which answer choice is most analogous to the general reaction of the critics who were mentioned in line 13.

I need HALP.

Alright pnj fyi I hated that question n it's been awhile since 61. But here's where I tjink the issue lies.

In passage, if I i Rememeber correct, they are embarrassed bc they find out what they think is an original is done by someone else.

In C, they praise the famous restaurants food but then find out it's not the famous chef cooking it. So they think one chef is whippin up the goods then find out its not The one they praisin

In D, I think it'd be more correct if they found out it was actually a differnt author writing the book rather than the same author with differnt views than they agree with. D could bring about embarrassment but not analogous embarrassment.

Idk if this helps

QFNP since on topic

Also eta I think my main issue w c is they don't make it clear they are "praising the chef"

That's exactly my beef with it. I think this question has grounds for being removed from scoring. It's too vague, and when selecting answer C you have to just assume that they're praising the chef, and are then embarrassed when they find out it's not that particular chef.

BJS

Postby BJS » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:48 am

Son of a bitch. Just changed an answer with five seconds left and I'm 90% sure I got it wrong. Can't believe I broke my cardinal rule - no answer changes in the last 30 seconds. That's a recipie for Romo-esque heartbreak endings.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:49 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:PT 61 RC

I need HALP.

Idk if this helps

QFNP since on topic

That's exactly my beef with it. I think this question has grounds for being removed from scoring. It's too vague, and when selecting answer C you have to just assume that they're praising the chef, and are then embarrassed when they find out it's not that particular chef.

Yea I definitely agree you have a point there. I think it's possible that goes beyond the idea of a reasonable assumption to make.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:57 am

pnj + colonel: 1
LSAT: -9999999999

Gray

Postby Gray » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:58 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:That's exactly my beef with it. I think this question has grounds for being removed from scoring. It's too vague, and when selecting answer C you have to just assume that they're praising the chef, and are then embarrassed when they find out it's not that particular chef.

Yea I definitely agree you have a point there. I think it's possible that goes beyond the idea of a reasonable assumption to make.

I don't think it matters - they are praising something (food/art) with a certain famous quality that they found out was not actually done by the master.

What's more important is that none of the other answer choices are at all analogous to praising a forgery.

ETA: it's not perfect, but it's by far the closest

Hand

Postby Hand » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:02 am

sfoglia wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:Some serious on topic ish:

Anybody have any tips on how to chill the f out n relax during tests. Like idk sometimes I get anxious and can't focus. I'm just looking back at the ones I missed during the pt today and I'm like ok you're a tard. But seriously, in the experimental LR I found out around question 10 it was experiemental bc of one of those old one stim 2 q deals. I missed the three leAdinh up to that then didn't miss one after I realized it was not graded for exam score. When I drill LR sections 80% of the time It's -1 sometimes -2, I've had a -0. But then in Pt it's anywhere from -1 to -5 and RC who knews depends on day. Idk If it's the stress of it bein so close or what..

TL;DR: I understand everything bout the lsat, I just make dumb mistakes under the conditions of PT- not timed just knowing its a pt.

OMG YES.

It is probably stress. Anxiety is very, very distracting. I am anxiety queen, as we all well know, I have earned the crown. (Ha. Get the joke? It's punny.)

Do you have a very solid routine for before PTs? If you can take parts of that and kind of exaggerate them, it helps. Like, if you tend to eat the same thing, now do it deliberately. "I am eating hard-boiled eggs right now, because this is how I prepare for the test." Our brains love routine. They love it. And we find methodical behaviors naturally relaxing, because we feel we know what to expect. It translates on a PT.

Also, exercise. I know you love to workout anyway, so do some push-ups or something a few minutes before you begin. It'll serve to alleviate physical tension, any jitters, whatever.

What else? I try to mentally prepare myself the night before, too. I have some tea, light some lavender incense. It just makes me feel like I'm prepared, you know? All of these little things help me to feel that I have done everything you should do in order to approach the test with as much confidence as possible.

And this one is crucial: If you find yourself distracted or nervous, if you are reading the same stimulus again and again, you cannot figure out a paragraph to an passage, you feel like you must be missing an inferences on a game, stop for a few seconds, take a deep breath, exhale slowly, and tell yourself to calm the fuck down, because you have studied, and you know this, and you can do it. Just stop and breath. I know we're all paranoid about timing, but it's going to save you many more minutes in the end because you with have kind of "reset," can now approach the task with better focus.

Oh, if you associate certain scents with calming things, take advantage. Wear whatever cologne you have that you think smells really good and dab it near your neckline so you can smell it while you work.

Some solid tips in here. It's gonna look real weird tho to do pushups in the test center. But at the same time - who cares, it's your score, so do whatever works. Also, good morning everyone. I'm taking 71 today. Last PT ever, I hope.

Gray

Postby Gray » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:03 am

hereisonehand wrote:Some solid tips in here. It's gonna look real weird tho to do pushups in the test center. But at the same time - who cares, it's your score, so do whatever works. Also, good morning everyone. I'm taking 71 today. Last PT ever, I hope.

Have fun!

Hand

Postby Hand » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:04 am

smccgrey wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:Some solid tips in here. It's gonna look real weird tho to do pushups in the test center. But at the same time - who cares, it's your score, so do whatever works. Also, good morning everyone. I'm taking 71 today. Last PT ever, I hope.

Have fun!

thanks - but judging by what y'all have been reporting yesterday it's not gonna be a good time, haha.

Hand

Postby Hand » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:07 am

also I've been clearly spending too much time here as I had a TLS dream in which morningcounselor(!) came to me for advice and/or counseling and he looked just like this guy

except his hair was a little more curly, and I was like "it's going to be ok kid, just circle the right answers and you'll be fine"

Gray

Postby Gray » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:11 am

That's good advice.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:14 am

smccgrey wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:That's exactly my beef with it. I think this question has grounds for being removed from scoring. It's too vague, and when selecting answer C you have to just assume that they're praising the chef, and are then embarrassed when they find out it's not that particular chef.

I don't think it matters - they are praising something (food/art) with a certain famous quality that they found out was not actually done by the master.

What's more important is that none of the other answer choices are at all analogous to praising a forgery.

No I definitely agree this can b correctly answered via POE I just think the analogous part is kinda fuzzy in this regard.

Hand

Postby Hand » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:16 am

smccgrey wrote:That's good advice.

I know it's what I would tell anyone, although I may want to add that they should party less

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:17 am

smccgrey wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

Here's how I approached the question.

The "embarrassment of the critics":

Critics: Omg this painting by Mr. Painter X is the best painting ever because Mr. Painter X painted it and Mr. Painter X is such a pro. Like omg.
Mr. Painter Y: Jokes on you, I painted this. Lololol
Critics: We are embaras

Answer choice C:

pnj + colonel: I hear there's this great restaurant, let's go eat there
pnj + colonel: mmmm this food is so damn good
waiter: just fyi the master chef isn't here today, that was cooked by the sous chef

Answer choice D:

pnj + colonel: This book is so good I love it. Btw we hate gays.
author: Lol this book is pro-gay marriage you homophobic phaggets

I think answer choice D is better. It's true D isn't a forgery, but C isn't either. The diners didn't go "this food must have been cooked by Mr. Chef X because it's so good." D does create an embarrassing situation for the critics involved though, so it seems closer to the relevant situation than C...

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:26 am

hereisonehand wrote:also I've been clearly spending too much time here as I had a TLS dream in which morningcounselor(!) came to me for advice and/or counseling and he looked just like this guy

except his hair was a little more curly, and I was like "it's going to be ok kid, just circle the right answers and you'll be fine"

Heartwarming! Both the movie and the dream.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:34 am

hereisonehand wrote:Some solid tips in here. It's gonna look real weird tho to do pushups in the test center. But at the same time - who cares, it's your score, so do whatever works

I'll workout in the test center any day of the week.

I'll be warmin up like

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:36 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:
smccgrey wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

Here's how I approached the question.

Critics: Omg this painting by Mr. Painter X is the best painting ever because Mr. Painter X painted it and Mr. Painter X is such a pro. Like omg.

Answer choice C:

waiter: just fyi the master chef isn't here today, that was cooked by the sous chef

Answer choice D:

I think answer choice D is better. It's true D isn't a forgery, but C isn't either. The diners didn't go "this food must have been cooked by Mr. Chef X because it's so good." D does create an embarrassing situation for the critics involved though, so it seems closer to the relevant situation than C...

This is the second time live lolled at your question explanations ( see NA LOBSTERS)

So if law school doesn't work out write a book w question explanations us unpretentious types can relate to

accessislife

Postby accessislife » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:40 am

in the middle of a massive review and found willa cather made a reappearance in 67 (from passage 3 of 57) - #LSATrabbithole

ErgoSum

Postby ErgoSum » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:45 am

Finished PT72. Haven't grades it yet but not feeling great about it. That last game. I get why people were so thrown off by it

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:54 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:

Answer choice C:

Answer choice D:

Agree 100% with grey (safe choice. heh). I think the ACs are clearer if you focus on how the scenario is set up by the word "until":

The critics were embarrassed because they praised a painting believing it was a Vermeer, when it in fact was not. This suggests that at least some of their appraisal of the painting was due in part to believing it was a Vermeer, i.e., that the merit of the work depended on its creator.

Choice C - Diners praised their food until they realized it was not cooked by by the celeb-chef. This also suggests that their idea of who the cook was affected their appreciation of the food, i.e, that the merit of the work depended on its creator.

Choice D - Book critics praised a book until they the author revealed that the central symbols represented politically offensive views to them. This suggests that their appreciation of the book depended on the political message of the book, not on its creator.

Gray

Postby Gray » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:00 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:pnj + colonel: This book is so good I love it. Btw we hate gays.

First of all, 180 examples.

I think C is a forgery in the way the painter in that paragraph is a forger - it's basically an imitation of the master chef's great recipe for food/paintings. The painter created the painting using a master's techniques exactly, and presented it to an unknowing audience. The sous chef did basically the same thing.

The problem with D is that it doesn't relate to that specific situation in the passage. It would be D if the passage was like a master painter who produced a masterpiece, critics loved it and praised his technique with oil paints, and then he was like yeah I made this with crayons and its a painting of your mom.

That's how I looked at it anyway.

Gray

Postby Gray » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:01 pm

Movie's explanation is better.

ErgoSum

Postby ErgoSum » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:02 pm

88 Raw. 170 converted. That curve doe

RC -4
LR1 -5
LR2 -3
LG -1

Actually pretty happy with my score. I thought it was going to be way worse than that. Made a really stupid mistake on the question in LG I got wrong from the 3rd game. Somehow got all of game 4 right. I'm sad I got so many wrong in LR though. That's supposed to be my strength!!!!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”