The Official September 2014 Study Group

Colonel_funkadunk

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:53 pm

unodostres wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
unodostres wrote:im content with missing 4-5 now. i rarely get less than that. its like there is always one q in 3 of the passages that is like stupid retarded. then its like oh ya huh when reviewing. so its like ya.

then im like ok since im dumb, let me bubble in the wrong answer choice two more times for a nice -5, or a -6.

Strong poast

ETA: u seem cool uno lets kick it

lets do it bro. what are your target skools?

lets get drunk at some of the open house things.

I'm in indianapolis now, so Michigan chicago and northwestern are 3 big ones. But id love HYS (obv) nyu or berk u?

unodostres

Postby unodostres » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:56 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
unodostres wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
ETA: u seem cool uno lets kick it

lets do it bro. what are your target skools?

lets get drunk at some of the open house things.

I'm in indianapolis now, so Michigan chicago and northwestern are 3 big ones. But id love HYS (obv) nyu or berk u?

pretty much blanketing the t14, and ucla/sc. honestly, its going to come down to scholarship shit. debt anit too much to f around wit

but now its settled the colonel and i and whoever else is cool are getting drunk.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:00 pm

bro

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:03 pm

Some serious on topic ish:

Anybody have any tips on how to chill the f out n relax during tests. Like idk sometimes I get anxious and can't focus. I'm just looking back at the ones I missed during the pt today and I'm like ok you're a tard. But seriously, in the experimental LR I found out around question 10 it was experiemental bc of one of those old one stim 2 q deals. I missed the three leAdinh up to that then didn't miss one after I realized it was not graded for exam score. When I drill LR sections 80% of the time It's -1 sometimes -2, I've had a -0. But then in Pt it's anywhere from -1 to -5 and RC who knews depends on day. Idk If it's the stress of it bein so close or what..

TL;DR: I understand everything bout the lsat, I just make dumb mistakes under the conditions of PT- not timed just knowing its a pt.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:04 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:I bought mct oil today which is just really concentrated coconut oil. You're supposed to blend it w coffee for same effect. We will see how it works

Hmmm. Interesting. Everyone is obsessing over coconut oil lately. Let me know what you think.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:04 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:bro

Id consider Austin w no texas ties just to party w baseball

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:06 pm

Colonel, with your flexibility, you would totally rock in a barre workout. Shake n burn!

Truly, madly, deeply* love Hand's tar.

It's my first full week without EtOH, and I'm realizing that consuming no booze calories ---> I can eat more cheese. I might keep this up after the LSAT's over :-)

As for LSAT snacks, I was thinking about making these almond-coconut-synchro spheres with the last of my Synchro: http://besynchro.com/blogs/blog/8102149 ... ro-spheres
(if I can get past the fact that they look like animal droppings)

*wonderful movie with Alan Rickman, terrible album by Savage Garden

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:08 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:bro

Id consider Austin w no texas ties just to party w baseball

ok cool i felt butthurt

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:12 pm

started drinkin tonight. had the HOTTEST girl over. Had a beer. Mentally decided to stop cuz of PT tomorrow #lulmylife

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:16 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:Colonel, with your flexibility, you would totally rock in a barre workout. Shake n burn!

Truly, madly, deeply* love Hand's tar.

It's my first full week without EtOH, and I'm realizing that consuming no booze calories ---> I can eat more cheese. I might keep this up after the LSAT's over :-)

As for LSAT snacks, I was thinking about making these almond-coconut-synchro spheres with the last of my Synchro: http://besynchro.com/blogs/blog/8102149 ... ro-spheres
(if I can get past the fact that they look like animal droppings)

*wonderful movie with Alan Rickman, terrible album by Savage Garden

Make me some of those and I'll tear up the barre

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:17 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:started drinkin tonight. had the HOTTEST girl over. Had a beer. Mentally decided to stop cuz of PT tomorrow #lulmylife

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:18 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:Anybody have any tips on how to chill the f out n relax during tests.

I'm not sure how helpful this would be for you, but when I freak out (even after I do everything I can before my PT to calm down), I skip to the last page in the section and do those problems because they tend to be easy. I think it helps me feel like I've narrowed the chasm between me and the end of the section, and it gets me in the rhythm of the test. It's just a small thing I do that has helped me avoid spiraling out of control, specifically because I worry in an irrational manner about not finishing the section on time.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:25 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:Some serious on topic ish:

Anybody have any tips on how to chill the f out n relax during tests. Like idk sometimes I get anxious and can't focus. I'm just looking back at the ones I missed during the pt today and I'm like ok you're a tard. But seriously, in the experimental LR I found out around question 10 it was experiemental bc of one of those old one stim 2 q deals. I missed the three leAdinh up to that then didn't miss one after I realized it was not graded for exam score. When I drill LR sections 80% of the time It's -1 sometimes -2, I've had a -0. But then in Pt it's anywhere from -1 to -5 and RC who knews depends on day. Idk If it's the stress of it bein so close or what..

TL;DR: I understand everything bout the lsat, I just make dumb mistakes under the conditions of PT- not timed just knowing its a pt.

OMG YES.

It is probably stress. Anxiety is very, very distracting. I am anxiety queen, as we all well know, I have earned the crown. (Ha. Get the joke? It's punny.)

Do you have a very solid routine for before PTs? If you can take parts of that and kind of exaggerate them, it helps. Like, if you tend to eat the same thing, now do it deliberately. "I am eating hard-boiled eggs right now, because this is how I prepare for the test." Our brains love routine. They love it. And we find methodical behaviors naturally relaxing, because we feel we know what to expect. It translates on a PT.

Also, exercise. I know you love to workout anyway, so do some push-ups or something a few minutes before you begin. It'll serve to alleviate physical tension, any jitters, whatever.

What else? I try to mentally prepare myself the night before, too. I have some tea, light some lavender incense. It just makes me feel like I'm prepared, you know? All of these little things help me to feel that I have done everything you should do in order to approach the test with as much confidence as possible.

And this one is crucial: If you find yourself distracted or nervous, if you are reading the same stimulus again and again, you cannot figure out a paragraph to an passage, you feel like you must be missing an inferences on a game, stop for a few seconds, take a deep breath, exhale slowly, and tell yourself to calm the fuck down, because you have studied, and you know this, and you can do it. Just stop and breath. I know we're all paranoid about timing, but it's going to save you many more minutes in the end because you with have kind of "reset," can now approach the task with better focus.

Oh, if you associate certain scents with calming things, take advantage. Wear whatever cologne you have that you think smells really good and dab it near your neckline so you can smell it while you work.

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:25 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:Make me some of those and I'll tear up the barre

Deal! You could be this guy:

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:32 pm

took 56 this morning (proctored)

LR -2
LG -4
LR -3
RC -6

Reallly frustrated with the -4 in LG because they all came from an easy game that I misdiagrammed. Didn't get to the last 3 LR which caused the -3. I'm happy with the -6 in RC but this one did feel much easier than the most recent stuff.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:40 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:I skip to the last page in the section and do those problems because they tend to be easy.

Thanks movie, I'll def have to think about trying this. I don't really freak out about not finishing, but I can see how knowin you having the hardest quedtions done can be mentally reassuring. Hopefully that doesn't mess up my bubbling tho :oops:

sfoglia wrote:
OMG YES.

It is probably stress. Anxiety is very, very distracting. I am anxiety queen, as we all well know, I have earned the crown. (Ha. Get the joke? It's punny.)

Do you have a very solid routine for before PTs? If you can take parts of that and kind of exaggerate them, it helps. Like, if you tend to eat the same thing, now do it deliberately. "I am eating hard-boiled eggs right now, because this is how I prepare for the test." Our brains love routine. They love it. And we find methodical behaviors naturally relaxing, because we feel we know what to expect. It translates on a PT.

Also, exercise. I know you love to workout anyway, so do some push-ups or something a few minutes before you begin. It'll serve to alleviate physical tension, any jitters, whatever.

What else? I try to mentally prepare myself the night before, too. I have some tea, light some lavender incense. It just makes me feel like I'm prepared, you know? All of these little things help me to feel that I have done everything you should do in order to approach the test with as much confidence as possible.

And this one is crucial: If you find yourself distracted or nervous, if you are reading the same stimulus again and again, you cannot figure out a paragraph to an passage, you feel like you must be missing an inferences on a game, stop for a few seconds, take a deep breath, exhale slowly, and tell yourself to calm the fuck down, because you have studied, and you know this, and you can do it. Just stop and breath. I know we're all paranoid about timing, but it's going to save you many more minutes in the end because you with have kind of "reset," can now approach the task with better focus.

Oh, if you associate certain scents with calming things, take advantage. Wear whatever cologne you have that you think smells really good and dab it near your neckline so you can smell it while you work.

Thanks this is a lot of really good advice. I don't really have a really set routine but maybe I should focus on preparing myself mentally and relaxing before hand to get in the right frame of mind.

I've thought about exercising beforehand but never tried it, I think that's actually a really good idea bc that's generally my stress reliever for every other situation in my life. I'll try running or something before the next one and see how that works out.
Also, I like the idea of stopping and kind of resetting after reading one three times and losing focus, bc normally that will stress me out even more and I freak out that I m gonna mess the q up.

But overall I'll try preparing myself the night before and morning of instead of just randomly jumping into it like I have been. Like one morning I was just drilling some sections and then thought well maybe I'll pt and had my worst test this round of studying. That was also two months ago.

And I always smell fresh to death so no need to worry about that.

But seriously thanks for the advice.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:43 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:Thanks this is a lot of really good advice. I don't really have a really set routine but maybe I should focus on preparing myself mentally and relaxing before hand to get in the right frame of mind.

I've thought about exercising beforehand but never tried it, I think that's actually a really good idea bc that's generally my stress reliever for every other situation in my life. I'll try running or something before the next one and see how that works out.
Also, I like the idea of stopping and kind of resetting after reading one three times and losing focus, bc normally that will stress me out even more and I freak out that I m gonna mess the q up.

But overall I'll try preparing myself the night before and morning of instead of just randomly jumping into it like I have been. Like one morning I was just drilling some sections and then thought well maybe I'll pt and had my worst test this round of studying. That was also two months ago.

And I always smell fresh to death so no need to worry about that.

But seriously thanks for the advice.

Of course! Anytime. I really hope that some of it proves useful.

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:02 am

sfoglia wrote:Do you have a very solid routine for before PTs? If you can take parts of that and kind of exaggerate them, it helps. Like, if you tend to eat the same thing, now do it deliberately. "I am eating hard-boiled eggs right now, because this is how I prepare for the test." Our brains love routine. They love it. And we find methodical behaviors naturally relaxing, because we feel we know what to expect. It translates on a PT.

^^ This is such great advice. We are such amazing organisms, but we're not machines; we're not always rational. But I suspect that our anxiety is a large component of what's made us successful in life thus far. We just have to keep looking for ways to manage it and ourselves :)

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:12 am

hetookmetoamovie wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:Anybody have any tips on how to chill the f out n relax during tests.

I'm not sure how helpful this would be for you, but when I freak out (even after I do everything I can before my PT to calm down), I skip to the last page in the section and do those problems because they tend to be easy. I think it helps me feel like I've narrowed the chasm between me and the end of the section, and it gets me in the rhythm of the test. It's just a small thing I do that has helped me avoid spiraling out of control, specifically because I worry in an irrational manner about not finishing the section on time.

Ive dun this a few times on LR and it has worked out really well each time 4 me doesn't really work 4 lg but yeah skipping to a diff Q is def credited sometimes IMHO

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:14 am

dasani13 wrote:took 56 this morning (proctored)

LR -2
LG -4
LR -3
RC -6

Reallly frustrated with the -4 in LG because they all came from an easy game that I misdiagrammed. Didn't get to the last 3 LR which caused the -3. I'm happy with the -6 in RC but this one did feel much easier than the most recent stuff.

Yeah buddy u get that lg down n u r sittin pretty is -5 combined on LR pretty typical 4 u

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:15 am

Also I just watched white men can't jump and IMHO its a classic

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:24 am

ilikebaseball wrote:started drinkin tonight. had the HOTTEST girl over. Had a beer. Mentally decided to stop cuz of PT tomorrow #lulmylife

U r incredibly necessary ITT

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:36 am

just cried bill

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:01 am

ITT we care about each other

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:43 am

Lost my virginity ITT

Saw Shawshank Redemption for the first time ITT

Saw the west side east side battle from the BIG's point of view ITT

Saw flip phones turn into touch screens ITT

Held a nursing dogs hair back as she threw up from her hangover after drinking too much the night before due to too many puppies and no baby daddy ITT

Shaved my chest for the first time ITT

Ruined my life ITT

LSAT ITT

Chronic depression ITT

Warrant out for my arrest ITT

Just chillin ITT

Cried ITT

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”