The Official September 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:26 am

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DuncND2013

New

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Post by DuncND2013 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:56 am

YeezusPiece wrote:Was hoping I wouldn't be on this thread, but here I am. Got a 166 today, after PTing in the 170s. Have to prep more seriously this time around.

This is my situation, word for word. Sucks, but maybe i'll have more motivation this time after a disappointing result. Working a demanding job/studying is no joke, and i think i really burnt out in May.

gavaga1

New

Post by gavaga1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:09 am

Last edited by gavaga1 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

longhorn65

Bronze

Post by longhorn65 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:23 am

mornincounselor wrote:
luke65 wrote:Has anyone here taken an last course? I'm curious because I am signing up for one tomorrow that seems to be pretty good have a few friends that did it and they swear that was the reason for their success. Hoping it prove to be as good as it sounds
I think there's very little one can accomplish in a course which they wouldn't be able to do on their own by utilizing all the resources on this site (including, of course, the incredible ask an expert threads)

That being said, courses add structure to the learning and there's an actual person telling you to do x, y, z, instead of a nameless forum thread. While the advice might be identical a person might tend to listen more when they are paying for it.

An attorney told me that once a person becomes an attorney, friends and family will constantly ask you for advise and then disregard it. Many people have a tendency to disregard free advise regardless of its quality.

Most people in the course will likely be willing to settle for a much lower score than you are, so realize that the course is a great start but that you will likely have to go above and beyond it to reach your true potential.

(The structure of this response is a major criticism of lsat courses, followed by a counterpoint about their effectiveness for some people as a general principle with an example, the author then ends by explaining a limitation of lsat courses -- the author seems to believe courses are not necessary but can add structure to the start of one's studying. (Does this count as RC prep? :]))
I'll be honest I'd chalk that up to time well spent reviewing RC. Also thank you for the reply. I believe We have the same opinions on the course's. I think it best SUITS me because im so busy right now it gives me a set time to study also this course is very open to question and answer with access between 1-9:30. I think it will work for me. I'll keep you guys informed

eagleslive

New

Post by eagleslive » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:29 am

Checking in. Began studying for the June test, but rescheduled for September. Currently drilling.

Taking this test to the T6 scholarship bank $$$, let's gooo.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:51 am

eagleslive wrote:Checking in. Began studying for the June test, but rescheduled for September. Currently drilling.

sup eagles.

same situation here. Wasn't ready for June so I delayed. Good luck.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:58 am

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flash21

Gold

Post by flash21 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:18 pm

anyone want to go through sections of LR together (after we already did them timed) and blind review together? Would probably be helpful.

flash21

Gold

Post by flash21 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:19 pm

mornincounselor wrote:I wish I had a high GPA with you guys, I'm hopeful for C or NU with a bit of money with my 3.4.

Anyways, I'm not missing any questions on these grouping games but they are taking me way too long. I'm averaging ~9 minutes per game on these Grouping (Defined/Fixed/Balanced) Games. I have to learn to love these open-ended games.
Yeah I had trouble with how much freedom you actually have. I think that you need to take care of floaters especially in open ended game, and not be afraid to make rules irrelevant. I think by doing this the open endedness may become in your favor since you're basically placing variables where you'd like which accounts for the large amount of possibilities

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vracovino

Bronze

Post by vracovino » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:38 pm

The Cambridge packets give very little space to work out the logic games, and given that the LSAT is now pretty liberal in terms of the space they give for the problems, is it okay for me to use an extra sheet of paper? Or should I just do my best to accomodate to the limited space?

MEAhrnsbrak

Bronze

Post by MEAhrnsbrak » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:18 pm

I took the June LSAT, but didn't get the score I was hoping for. I didn't start my prep early enough, but I won't make that mistake again! I have gotten my LG to a -0 almost every time, but need to improve on my LR and RC sections and think working with a group could really help. Are there any study groups in the Atlanta area? If not, is anyone interested in starting one?

chimera

Bronze

Post by chimera » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:20 pm

vracovino wrote:The Cambridge packets give very little space to work out the logic games, and given that the LSAT is now pretty liberal in terms of the space they give for the problems, is it okay for me to use an extra sheet of paper? Or should I just do my best to accomodate to the limited space?
Practice using an extra sheet. I wasn't used to the games being split between pages when I sat last December. That, accompanied with the obscenely small desks at my test center (along with other egregious abuses) banged me up pretty bad.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:21 pm

I need motivation to study. Ugh...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

birdlaw624

New

Post by birdlaw624 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:21 pm

vracovino wrote:The Cambridge packets give very little space to work out the logic games, and given that the LSAT is now pretty liberal in terms of the space they give for the problems, is it okay for me to use an extra sheet of paper? Or should I just do my best to accomodate to the limited space?
I think it's definitely ok and to be honest after taking the june test I think I'm going to start drilling that way. It felt a little weird going from very little room but where you didn't have to look far to reference your work for a prior question to the 2 page format that lsac uses now

downbeat14

Silver

Post by downbeat14 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:32 pm

Last edited by downbeat14 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vracovino

Bronze

Post by vracovino » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:33 pm

chimera wrote:
Practice using an extra sheet. I wasn't used to the games being split between pages when I sat last December. That, accompanied with the obscenely small desks at my test center (along with other egregious abuses) banged me up pretty bad.
birdlaw624 wrote:
I think it's definitely ok and to be honest after taking the june test I think I'm going to start drilling that way. It felt a little weird going from very little room but where you didn't have to look far to reference your work for a prior question to the 2 page format that lsac uses now
Thanks a lot. I think that's going to make a big difference in my drilling performance- especially on games where I decide not to represent a question visually due to lack of room.

flash21

Gold

Post by flash21 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:25 pm

vracovino wrote:
chimera wrote:
birdlaw624 wrote:
Thanks a lot. I think that's going to make a big difference in my drilling performance- especially on games where I decide not to represent a question visually due to lack of room.

V - have you found this to be a big issue in drilling? Ive actually only encountered probably a few times where space screwed me up in the LG section

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

evolution

New

Post by evolution » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:00 pm

Hey guys, posted this in the retakers thread as well but since Mike's away, do you guys know if the LSAT trainer on Amazon is the most recent edition? Mike said he released version 1.4 back in June, but on Amazon, it still says its edition 1? Anyone know?

Oskosh

Silver

Post by Oskosh » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:09 pm

I am going to delay my hardcore studying until after the weekend of the 4th. I already have the fundamentals down, and I can see the effect of wear and tear on my preptest results. I was scoring 173-176, and that went down to 169-172 recently. On the PT that I got a 169 on, I did well, but, in my opinion, "bombed" two sections (-4 on LR, but of those 4 I got -3 in the first 10, and -3 on RC, 2 of those 3 which came in the FIRST passage)...

So, since my desire was to attune my testing so as to prevent dumb mistakes, and seeing as how I am now making dumb mistakes in the first 10 LR questions (on which I used to go 10 for 10), as well as RC, I am going to take a break so as to stave off burnout. :?

eagleslive

New

Post by eagleslive » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:13 pm

Louis1127 wrote:
eagleslive wrote:Checking in. Began studying for the June test, but rescheduled for September. Currently drilling.

sup eagles.

same situation here. Wasn't ready for June so I delayed. Good luck.

What range are you shooting for Louis? Any possibility you push it back again to December? Just curious.

ilawsxhool1

New

Post by ilawsxhool1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:22 pm

Just ordered LSAT Trainer, hopefully it will help me in the RC section. Just wondering, on average how many hrs. do you guys study in a week?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:25 pm

ilawsxhool1 wrote:Just ordered LSAT Trainer, hopefully it will help me in the RC section. Just wondering, on average how many hrs. do you guys study in a week?
I'd say about 20-25. Around 3 hours a day.

vracovino

Bronze

Post by vracovino » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:31 pm

flash21 wrote:
vracovino wrote:
chimera wrote:
birdlaw624 wrote:

V - have you found this to be a big issue in drilling? Ive actually only encountered probably a few times where space screwed me up in the LG section
I'm pretty bad at logic games, and more space helps me read my game boards and immediately interpret them easier. It's not a HUGE problem, but I would say more space is certainly helpful.

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:28 pm

Interesting results on my last PT.

PT 41:

Score: 159

LG: -10 (inexcusably made one stupid mistake on each of the three easy games before getting derailed by the circular game).

LR1: -6

LR2: -6 (The big thing on my LRs that I have noticed is time. I have underestimated how much I suck when it comes to time. I randomly guessed on at least 2 LR questions per section).

RC: -5 (a personal best, which is kind of sad).

It's refreshing to know that I cannot handle an oddball logic game, because there hasn't been one in like 30 years, right :lol:

But seriously, I must and will continue to drill all 3 sections. I've gone through alot of games and will go through more, redoing the ones from this test as well.

I feel like if I can get timing down on LR, I can be in a good place. I guess I'm just so used to drilling untimed that I am not yet good at doing LR questions untimed.

Back to work on drilling all three sections tomorrow.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:37 pm

Post removed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”