The Official September 2014 Study Group

Colonel_funkadunk

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:10 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
BillPackets wrote:Cool hand will not restate that I've heard adjuncting can b a hard life and I know from experience that an office job can really suck I actually enjoy the trades and have worked in them at various times in my life and there's money 2 b made there but most of that shit is really hard on your body and takes a toll real quick

Adjuncting is not for those who value job security, benefits, or decent pay. I mean it can be OK for a bit but it's definitely not something you want to do for an extended period of time. Plus I realized I didn't want to be a teacher for the rest of my life and at that point the long-term rationale for doing it disappears, and then you might as well take a more steady office job to pay the bills while you try to make preparations for the future

Are you a biglaw hopeful

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:11 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
BillPackets wrote:No quoting where r u from?

land of milk and honey

Ah, helps explain why your English is so good.
I added the "helps" after the thought... because LSAT

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:12 pm

hereisonehand wrote:Adjuncting is not for those who value job security, benefits, or decent pay.

I think most ppl eventually desire these 3 things

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:13 pm

BillPackets wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:Adjuncting is not for those who value job security, benefits, or decent pay.

I think most ppl eventually desire these 3 things

Idk that rests on the assumption that most ppl aren't dumb

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:13 pm

smccgrey wrote:
sfoglia wrote:
hetookmetoamovie wrote:I'm sorry that I missed fashion talk earlier. I'm online shopping to get over these LSAT blues. Turns out I have a hard time distinguishing between "interesting/edgy" and "ugly."

Fashion knows no time, Movie. (P.S. Yes to the Joan Didion avatar!)

There's also the Fashion thread. It's pretty great.

I need to involve myself with that! I dress kind of like an alien at times. It might help me avoid doing so unintentionally :)

BJS

Postby BJS » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:15 pm

Loving these in Bourbon, but no want to pay >$250 for a pair of monks - http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/pr ... 000001_-1_

Hand

Postby Hand » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:16 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:
BillPackets wrote:Cool hand will not restate that I've heard adjuncting can b a hard life and I know from experience that an office job can really suck I actually enjoy the trades and have worked in them at various times in my life and there's money 2 b made there but most of that shit is really hard on your body and takes a toll real quick

Adjuncting is not for those who value job security, benefits, or decent pay. I mean it can be OK for a bit but it's definitely not something you want to do for an extended period of time. Plus I realized I didn't want to be a teacher for the rest of my life and at that point the long-term rationale for doing it disappears, and then you might as well take a more steady office job to pay the bills while you try to make preparations for the future

Are you a biglaw hopeful

Not really what I'm aiming for (I'm more of a public interest kinda guy), but I try to keep an open mind about it, as it would be nice to actually have a lot of money at some point. Plus big law is more or less the only way to make sure you have a job lined up for after graduation early in the game, which def. would make life a lot easier

chimera

Postby chimera » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:16 pm

I drilled nec assumption today too... Has anyone tried approaching nec assumption questions as must be true? I read that tip on a blog and I think it kind of helped on the (Cambridge) difficulty 3/4 ones.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:18 pm

BJS wrote:Loving these in Bourbon, but no want to pay >$250 for a pair of monks - http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/pr ... 000001_-1_

Monk straps r def sexy I got a pair of Calvin Klein dub monks off eBay 4 like $40 pretty much brand new in the box w the fake foot things u put in there can't remember the name of those things ATM

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:20 pm

chimera wrote:I drilled nec assumption today too... Has anyone tried approaching nec assumption questions as must be true? I read that tip on a blog and I think it kind of helped on the (Cambridge) difficulty 3/4 ones.

I never have that would def confuse me since MBT r inference Qs whereas NA are of the flaw fam but if it helps u do more right answer circling then that's all that matters

BJS

Postby BJS » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:21 pm

BillPackets wrote:
BJS wrote:Loving these in Bourbon, but no want to pay >$250 for a pair of monks - http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/pr ... 000001_-1_

Monk straps r def sexy I got a pair of Calvin Klein dub monks off eBay 4 like $40 pretty much brand new in the box w the fake foot things u put in there can't remember the name of those things ATM

Shoe trees? Yea, I'm intringued by monks but I don't want to spend $365 on a non-traditional style of shoes.

chimera

Postby chimera » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:21 pm

monks are the most nonsensical shoe :lol: they can look nice but i've never been keen on the hybrid dress/casual thing

ErgoSum

Postby ErgoSum » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:21 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
ErgoSum wrote:Just did 50 assumption questions. Negation test galore

Necessary or sufficient

100000009999 dollars says necessary based on the negation ref

Tried to mix a little of both in there. But yea a decent amount of necessary. Doing some games now.

And lurking

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:22 pm

hereisonehand wrote:Not really what I'm aiming for (I'm more of a public interest kinda guy), but I try to keep an open mind about it, as it would be nice to actually have a lot of money at some point. Plus big law is more or less the only way to make sure you have a job lined up for after graduation early in the game, which def. would make life a lot easier

BigFed

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:23 pm

BJS wrote:Shoe trees?

Yes shoe trees thank u

Hand

Postby Hand » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:24 pm

BillPackets wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:Not really what I'm aiming for (I'm more of a public interest kinda guy), but I try to keep an open mind about it, as it would be nice to actually have a lot of money at some point. Plus big law is more or less the only way to make sure you have a job lined up for after graduation early in the game, which def. would make life a lot easier

BigFed

would be ideal... dept of justice civil rights section is my dream job I guess - decent pay, decent hours, loan forgiveness, doing something meaningful

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:25 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
BillPackets wrote:

BigFed

would be ideal... dept of justice civil rights section is my dream job I guess - decent pay, decent hours, loan forgiveness, doing something meaningful

thought you're all getting a 180.... shouldn't need to worry about loans :p
Last edited by Smallville on Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BJS

Postby BJS » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:25 pm

On their Twitter feed, Spivey predicting September LSAT takers will be down 8-10%.

Hand

Postby Hand » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:25 pm

Jgoods wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:
BillPackets wrote:

BigFed

thought you were getting a 180.... shouldn't need to worry about loans :p

no merit scholarships at yale my friend

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:26 pm

hereisonehand wrote:BigFed

would be ideal... dept of justice civil rights section is my dream job I guess - decent pay, decent hours, loan forgiveness, doing something meaningful[/quote]
thought you were getting a 180.... shouldn't need to worry about loans :p[/quote]

no merit scholarships at yale my friend[/quote]

touche

too lazy to fix

chimera

Postby chimera » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:27 pm

BillPackets wrote:
chimera wrote:I drilled nec assumption today too... Has anyone tried approaching nec assumption questions as must be true? I read that tip on a blog and I think it kind of helped on the (Cambridge) difficulty 3/4 ones.

I never have that would def confuse me since MBT r inference Qs whereas NA are of the flaw fam but if it helps u do more right answer circling then that's all that matters

Yeah I hear you. It was on the lsatblog website... The reasoning is basically since the stim says "required" or "depends upon" than TCR is basically what must be true for the argument to hold and is essentially the underpinning of why the negation test works. lol it is kind of confusing but I think it helped me frame the stim better in those hard nec assumption questions.

Hand

Postby Hand » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:28 pm

BJS wrote:On their Twitter feed, Spivey predicting September LSAT takers will be down 8-10%.

sign up deadline has passed no? so we should have a decently reliable indication now

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:29 pm

That would def confuse me bc MBT in the sense of a flaw/assumption is diff than an inference of what MBT, but it's all about da points

Hand

Postby Hand » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:31 pm

BillPackets wrote:it's all about da points

Truth.

Anyway, what are y'all gunning for? Everyone hoping for big law?

BJS

Postby BJS » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:31 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
BillPackets wrote:it's all about da points

Truth.

Anyway, what are y'all gunning for? Everyone hoping for big law?

I'd love Southern BigLaw, but I know that's almost impossible.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”