The Official September 2014 Study Group

BillPackets

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:08 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
sfoglia wrote:
RC Passage: Biconditionals in the negative and the vertiginous gender ideology of the South-Pacific Vanatinai.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:09 am

BillPackets wrote:
sfoglia wrote:That's way less exciting than my proposed RC passage.

I need to do the preptest A, B, C LGs.

imo game 2 from B is the only game from the super prep tests thats substantially diff than other games ive seen throughout the lsat but B is just pretty hard in general with a -15 curve but there is also a circular game on B that could b helpful if you want to practice that type of game

Thank you for bringing this up. I definitely wouldn't have remembered to do those.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:10 am

sfoglia wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
sfoglia wrote:That's way less exciting than my proposed RC passage.

I need to do the preptest A, B, C LGs.

imo game 2 from B is the only game from the super prep tests thats substantially diff than other games ive seen throughout the lsat but B is just pretty hard in general with a -15 curve but there is also a circular game on B that could b helpful if you want to practice that type of game

Thank you for bringing this up. I definitely wouldn't have remembered to do those.

u r welcome

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:11 am

BillPackets wrote:
Jgoods wrote:(dont know what you're talking about) although I may? idk

theyre just the only 3 feb lsats that LSAC has ever released and B has the most generous curve in the history of the modern lsat at a whopping -15 and "most generous" there is at least slightly euphemistic

link a link to it and i can see if i know what ur talking about lol, working so not focusing on thinking

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:11 am

this is after the fact but its kinda like when u get in a little tiff w sum1 n u think of a good comeback after the fact

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:13 am

Jgoods wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
Jgoods wrote:I wish I would have popped into this thread weeks ago so I would have had time to get these packets you guys use... feel so out of the loop

do u know about super prep tests A B and C

(dont know what you're talking about) although I may? idk

You need to go on CambridgeLSAT.com and purchase these packets ASAP. They're PDF files, so you can print them at your convenience.

Here I just did it for you, I care that much about your success: http://www.cambridgelsat.com/problem-sets/

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:13 am

Jgoods wrote:
BillPackets wrote:

theyre just the only 3 feb lsats that LSAC has ever released and B has the most generous curve in the history of the modern lsat at a whopping -15 and "most generous" there is at least slightly euphemistic

link a link to it and i can see if i know what ur talking about lol, working so not focusing on thinking

http://www.amazon.com/The-Official-LSAT ... rprep+lsat

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:18 am

sfoglia wrote:
Jgoods wrote:
BillPackets wrote:

It's a little late in the game for superprep...

I mean any PT is a good PT but don't buy superprep; you're paying for the explanations basically.

Hand

Postby Hand » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:18 am

sup newbies

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:18 am

sfoglia wrote:
Jgoods wrote:
BillPackets wrote:

then yes I bought that when i first bought everything, my cold PT was the first on in there, havent touched it since... i think

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:21 am

smccgrey wrote:
sfoglia wrote:
BillPackets wrote:

It's a little late in the game for superprep...

I mean any PT is a good PT but don't buy superprep; you're paying for explanations old tests basically.

Ftfy

Hand

Postby Hand » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:22 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
smccgrey wrote:
I mean any PT is a good PT but don't buy superprep; you're paying for explanations old tests basically.

Ftfy

they are the most expensive old tests really, 25 bucks for three test? I never read those explanations.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:23 am

hereisonehand wrote:sup newbies

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:24 am

I really enjoy the way Bill clothes his thoughtful commentary and occasionally elevated diction in textspeak. I see it as a kind of High Street/couture approach to language; there's a genius in the mixing. And some fairly august linguists even liken switching back and forth between textspeak and orthodox language to bilingualism. So in a way, by forcing us to toggle back and forth as readers, Bill is treating us to a more complicated experience with language.

^^ the rest of this essay could be an RC passage

Hand

Postby Hand » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:27 am

hetookmetoamovie wrote:I really enjoy the way Bill clothes his thoughtful commentary and occasionally elevated diction in textspeak. I see it as a kind of High Street/couture approach to language; there's a genius in the mixing. And some fairly august linguists even liken switching back and forth between textspeak and orthodox language to bilingualism. So in a way, by forcing us to toggle back and forth as readers, Bill is treating us to a more complicated experience with language.

ETA: I was trying to agree with what movie said. Does that gif convey that?

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:31 am

so i suppose you guys recommend going through those pts?

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:31 am

hetookmetoamovie wrote:I really enjoy the way Bill clothes his thoughtful commentary and occasionally elevated diction in textspeak. I see it as a kind of High Street/couture approach to language; there's a genius in the mixing. And some fairly august linguists even liken switching back and forth between textspeak and orthodox language to bilingualism. So in a way, by forcing us to toggle back and forth as readers, Bill is treating us to a more complicated experience with language.
However despite this apparent respect for language in the highest regard, Bill and others like him have encountered a high level of criticism. Those who see this language usage as an abomination can generally be seen as falling into two types. The first type is those who have a genetic predisposition forcing them to only be able to read sentences with proper punctuation. This is a very rare deformity and basically an anomaly. Therefore the focus should rely mainly on the second type: those with such a level of pretention that every utterance that comes out of their mouth must be bombastic in nature.

I helped turn it into one.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:32 am

Hand

Postby Hand » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:42 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
However despite this apparent respect for language in the highest regard, Bill and others like him have encountered a high level of criticism. Those who see this language usage as an abomination can generally be seen as falling into two types. The first type is those who have a genetic predisposition forcing them to only be able to read sentences with proper punctuation. This is a very rare deformity and basically an anomaly. Therefore the focus should rely mainly on the second type: those with such a level of pretension that every utterance that comes out of their mouth must be bombastic in nature.
A recent study by Jerry B. Knowitall has provided those who consider this criticism to be unfair with additional ground for countering the skepticism regarding the value of the unique combination of thoughtful content and a form free from the constraints of grammar and spelling exhibited in the works of BillPackets and others. In the development of the Ur-Germanic language from which English and other continental languages evolved, a similar pattern of language use occurred, and Mr. Knowitall contends that the introduction of this pattern has helped spur the development of the English language as we know it today. Instead of seeing it as regressive (or worse, degenerate), we ought to embrace the wit and elegance that is packed in textspeak as a crucial step towards the future development of English.

Hand

Postby Hand » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:43 am

Jgoods wrote:so i suppose you guys recommend going through those pts?

do the PTs. or not. depends on how much time and $$ you have, and whether you need more materials.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:47 am

hereisonehand wrote:

do the PTs. or not. depends on how much time and $$ you have, and whether you need more materials.

well i already have the superprep book

Hand

Postby Hand » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:51 am

Jgoods wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:

well i already have the superprep book

then by all means go for it! except if you need to choose between the most recent ones and these, then I'd say take the most recent ones.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am

hereisonehand wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
However despite this apparent respect for language in the highest regard, Bill and others like him have encountered a high level of criticism. Those who see this language usage as an abomination can generally be seen as falling into two types. The first type is those who have a genetic predisposition forcing them to only be able to read sentences with proper punctuation. This is a very rare deformity and basically an anomaly. Therefore the focus should rely mainly on the second type: those with such a level of pretension that every utterance that comes out of their mouth must be bombastic in nature.
A recent study by Jerry B. Knowitall has provided those who consider this criticism to be unfair with additional ground for countering the skepticism regarding the value of the unique combination of thoughtful content and a form free from the constraints of grammar and spelling exhibited in the works of BillPackets and others. In the development of the Ur-Germanic language from which English and other continental languages evolved, a similar pattern of language use occurred, and Mr. Knowitall contends that the introduction of this pattern has helped spur the development of the English language as we know it today. Instead of seeing it as regressive (or worse, degenerate), we ought to embrace the wit and elegance that is packed in textspeak as a crucial step towards the future development of English.

15. The passage utilizes a study by mr knowitall for which of the following reasons?
A) to provide support for the idea that billpackets textspeak is not useful to the overall meaning he is trying to communicate
B) To compare one idea to an analogous idea for which both have suffered attempts to discredit
C) to argue that one particular language usage at present is in part has been seen to be common formerly
D) to highlight the badassery of havin a last name "knowitall"
E) to silence the haters

Hand

Postby Hand » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:54 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

15. The passage utilizes a study by mr knowitall for which of the following reasons?
A) to provide support for the idea that billpackets textspeak is not useful to the overall meaning he is trying to communicate
B) To compare one idea to an analogous idea for which both have suffered attempts to discredit
C) to argue that one particular language usage at present is in part has been seen to be common formerly
E) to silence the haters

well if this law school thing fails there is always the option of trying to become an LSAT writer

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:54 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

E) to silence the haters

16. It can be inferred from the passage that:
A) Most individuals who disapprove of Bill's heterodox approach to language do so as the result of a genetic abnormality
B) Schools should focus on teaching textspeak alongside English
C) BillPackets would have faced similar disdain at the time of the Ur-Germanic language
D) Bill sometimes does not use proper punctuation
E) Those "bombastic in nature" never make errors in spelling, grammar, or punctuation

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”