The Official September 2014 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
User avatar
sfoglia

Gold
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby sfoglia » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:53 pm

schmelling wrote:I think everyone should try to look at 72. It felt pretty different from other tests. I had heard the LG was weird so I decided to take it as an exercise in "what would he do if something foreign pops up?" I was pleasantly surprised to score within my range. The test is hard, but it has a curve to match. I think it will only give you more confidence that you've seen everything the test can throw at you.


I can look at it and do them, but I can't add another PT to my schedule. Stupid job.

accessislife

Bronze
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:40 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby accessislife » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:55 pm

sfoglia wrote:
Say you are taking 70 and 71...


i've taken those two (this past week) - just have 72 left of the 70s

User avatar
sfoglia

Gold
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby sfoglia » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:56 pm

accessislife wrote:
sfoglia wrote:
Say you are taking 70 and 71...


i've taken those two (this past week) - just have 72 left of the 70s


What did you think? I'm a little bit uneasy about where my score is going to land on these next three PTs.

accessislife

Bronze
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:40 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby accessislife » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:06 pm

sfoglia wrote:
accessislife wrote:
sfoglia wrote:
Say you are taking 70 and 71...


i've taken those two (this past week) - just have 72 left of the 70s


What did you think? I'm a little bit uneasy about where my score is going to land on these next three PTs.


so not going to lie 70 smacked me in the face - I had been doing 60s and it was my first recent test, SUPER low - then I did what I call a dissection - heavy drilling with intense blind review & MLSAT forums + stopwatch method studying
I was also super sick when I took 70 so that could have contributed - but it definitely requires a more "mindful" manner of test taking - better traps i think

User avatar
BillPackets

Gold
Posts: 2176
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:27 pm

schmelling wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:Let me just say about PT 72... I still hold to this day that it has the hardest LR I've seen. Just one of the sections though. The other was was okay.


The first LR gave me trouble. I fell for a couple sucker choices, and on one of the questions I made an unwarranted assumption. The second was fine.

Edit: On one of the questions in the first LR 57% of people choose one of the sucker choices. I've seen questions where more people get the sucker choice than the correct answer, but Its pretty rare to see a majority of test takers go for a sucker choice.

What Q schmelly

User avatar
fra

Bronze
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:59 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby fra » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:34 pm

BJS wrote:ETA: Here's a graph of my sections across the tests. Same thing - a ton of variation.
http://i.imgur.com/PUBlz3Y.jpg


I have issues with the way that lsatqa graphs the section scores. The graphs are unnecessarily noisy.
Since lsatqa graphs the number of credited responses per section and since the number of questions vary between sections (e.g. 23 questions in LG in one test, 24 in another), you could get 100% of questions right all of the time and still have a noisy graph.

I started recording my scores in a spreadsheet and graphing the percent of credited responses plus the running average from my last five tests so that I could get better graphs than the ones provided by lsatqa.

TLDR, it's difficult to get any information about the variation in your section scores from the lsatqa graphs.

User avatar
BillPackets

Gold
Posts: 2176
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:51 pm

Took 70 the other day n it pretty much felt like the LSAT Qs were pretty much the same the only thing that was diff was me being a DUMMY but u was in a food court so yeah but there's only been 3 tests in the 70s so I just dk how 3 tests is enuf 2 say "the 70s are way diff than the 60s"

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk

Gold
Posts: 3244
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:53 pm

BillPackets wrote: schmelly

Hand

Gold
Posts: 3843
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Hand » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:55 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
BillPackets wrote: schmelly

User avatar
schmelling

Silver
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:15 am

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:06 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BillPackets

Gold
Posts: 2176
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:08 pm

schmelling wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
schmelling wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:Let me just say about PT 72... I still hold to this day that it has the hardest LR I've seen. Just one of the sections though. The other was was okay.


The first LR gave me trouble. I fell for a couple sucker choices, and on one of the questions I made an unwarranted assumption. The second was fine.

Edit: On one of the questions in the first LR 57% of people choose one of the sucker choices. I've seen questions where more people get the sucker choice than the correct answer, but Its pretty rare to see a majority of test takers go for a sucker choice.

What Q schmelly


PT 72 SPOILER ALERT

LR1- Q16

57% choose E vs 34% the correct answer D

I was among the 57 :|


Well I thot u were talking bout 70 so my b for causing the spoiler alert

User avatar
sfoglia

Gold
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby sfoglia » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:19 pm

BillPackets wrote:Took 70 the other day n it pretty much felt like the LSAT Qs were pretty much the same the only thing that was diff was me being a DUMMY but u was in a food court so yeah but there's only been 3 tests in the 70s so I just dk how 3 tests is enuf 2 say "the 70s are way diff than the 60s"


Like I only just figured out the 60s a few days ago, so you all need to relax with the 70s throwing you for a loop, lest I have a heart attack before we even make it to week of. "Here lies Sfoglia, she could have been a lawyer."

User avatar
BillPackets

Gold
Posts: 2176
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:24 pm

sfoglia wrote:
BillPackets wrote:Took 70 the other day n it pretty much felt like the LSAT Qs were pretty much the same the only thing that was diff was me being a DUMMY but u was in a food court so yeah but there's only been 3 tests in the 70s so I just dk how 3 tests is enuf 2 say "the 70s are way diff than the 60s"


Like I only just figured out the 60s a few days ago, so you all need to relax with the 70s throwing you for a loop, lest I have a heart attack before we even make it to week of. "Here lies Sfoglia, she could have been a lawyer."

The LSAT is crazily standardized fogs like crazy standardized

Hand

Gold
Posts: 3843
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Hand » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:26 pm

sfoglia wrote:
BillPackets wrote:Took 70 the other day n it pretty much felt like the LSAT Qs were pretty much the same the only thing that was diff was me being a DUMMY but u was in a food court so yeah but there's only been 3 tests in the 70s so I just dk how 3 tests is enuf 2 say "the 70s are way diff than the 60s"


Like I only just figured out the 60s a few days ago, so you all need to relax with the 70s throwing you for a loop, lest I have a heart attack before we even make it to week of. "Here lies Sfoglia, she could have been a lawyer."


Don't worry about it. It's basically the same shit every time if you ask me. I mean, sure, PT 60-70 don't feel exactly like, say, PT 20-30 or whatever, so it's good to do a bunch of more recent ones. Presumably, it's not the exact same people who write the Qs nor the same people who evaluate them as 20 years ago, so that's all to be expected. But beyond this sort of general "the more recent ones aren't exactly like the really old ones" looking for how and in what way there is some distinction here or there is... well exactly the sort of obsessiveness one would expect to find itt, haha. But seriously, don't worry.

ETA or, as Bill put it

smccgrey wrote:
BillPackets wrote:The LSAT is crazily standardized fogs like crazy standardized
Last edited by Hand on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Platinum
Posts: 7003
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

.

Postby Gray » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:27 pm

.

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk

Gold
Posts: 3244
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:29 pm

smccgrey wrote:
BillPackets wrote:The LSAT is crazily standardized fogs like crazy standardized


I've heard rumors they r gonna unstandardize it

Gray

Platinum
Posts: 7003
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

.

Postby Gray » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:31 pm

.

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk

Gold
Posts: 3244
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:32 pm

smccgrey wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
smccgrey wrote:
BillPackets wrote:The LSAT is crazily standardized fogs like crazy standardized

I've heard rumors they r gonna unstandardize it

Just make it about couches with flawed arguments.


That's the first two sections, then a color by numbers picture BYOCP (bring your own colored pencils)

User avatar
BillPackets

Gold
Posts: 2176
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:37 pm

I heard they were actually adding in an audio portion where various members of SCOTUS would read the LR sections n they would record them n then u would have 2 listen n choose the right answer using a clicker click 1x for A 2x for B 3x for C 4x for D 5x for E apparently tho they tested this out on some kids n their clickers were too touchy so kids were clicking too many times n there r no take backs cuz it's the LSAT so they're still working on developing the less touchy clickers apparently some recent innovations in nanotechnology r really speeding along this process

Edit: Shitpoasting brb actually studying guys

User avatar
Smallville

Gold
Posts: 4824
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:57 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Smallville » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:47 pm

BillPackets wrote:I heard they were actually adding in an audio portion where various members of SCOTUS would read the LR sections n they would record them n then u would have 2 listen n choose the right answer using a clicker click 1x for A 2x for B 3x for C 4x for D 5x for E apparently tho they tested this out on some kids n their clickers were too touchy so kids were clicking too many times n there r no take backs cuz it's the LSAT so they're still working on developing the less touchy clickers apparently some recent innovations in nanotechnology r really speeding along this process

Edit: Shitpoasting brb actually studying guys


What if we just walk in, they ask us what color grass is, and that's it... that's the test.

User avatar
BillPackets

Gold
Posts: 2176
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:50 pm

Jgoods wrote:What if we just walk in, they ask us what color grass is, and that's it... that's the test.


Image

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk

Gold
Posts: 3244
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:53 pm

BillPackets wrote:
Jgoods wrote:What if we just walk in, they ask us what color grass is, and that's it... that's the test.


Image


180

Gray

Platinum
Posts: 7003
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

.

Postby Gray » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:17 pm

.

User avatar
sfoglia

Gold
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby sfoglia » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:30 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
smccgrey wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
smccgrey wrote:Just make it about couches with flawed arguments.


That's the first two sections, then a color by numbers picture BYOCP (bring your own colored pencils)


LMAO hilarious.

I'm just going to go with Bill and assume the best.

aliraza580

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:06 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby aliraza580 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:30 pm

ErgoSum wrote:
Jgoods wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
aliraza580 wrote:So I took a course that started Mid-July for LSAT prep, and i had signed up for the September LSAT, which is in two weeks, im barely breaking mid 140s, my last diag was a 144. Things click slowly for me and i just made an 8 point jump within the last couple weeks, so i was wondering if you guys think its a bad idea to take this LSAT in two weeks, should i just push it back to December and really focus more on it? Or go hard these next couple weeks and see where i am? i want to at least hit mid 150s. My most trouble comes with the games and LR, although i've steadily been improving with my LR the games still give me trouble--Any advice would be helpful.

My other concern with taking a december LSAT is it would be very late, as i'm wanting to apply to UNLV and they do rolling admissions...thoughts?


UNLV's medians haven't been released, but the school's upper 75% median for LSAT scores should be between 156-159 according ot the rankings. 8 point jump from 144 means 152, right? Assuming you're PTing around 152 currently, you have about two weeks to improve that to 160 if you want an almost-guaranteed shot at admissions.

Yes, you want to be scoring at or above their median if you're putting a lot of eggs into that basket, so aim for 155+. Whether you can reach that score in 2 weeks is entirely up to you. All I can say is it's very possible to improve to 155 in 2 weeks, but your case might be unique.



Did not really expect to see that^ lol but I do agree, if you were reaching a little higher I'd say think about waiting however getting to around 155 is doable... I mean I have to believe that since I'm shooting for a similar jump (or more) with mine.


I think if you focused on getting near perfect on LG, everything would come together for you and you could be around 155 at least. LG is one of the easier sections to master, and if you get to consistently getting less than 3 wrong, you'll see an improvement in your overall score. That is said, however, without knowing how you are already scoring in that section.

Also, if RC is messing you up, I would just focus on finishing 2 or maybe 3 of the passages with the majority of the answers correct instead of rushing and trying to complete all 4, and still getting a ton wrong.

Ultimately it's up to you, but if you go hardcore Liu Kang mode on LG and perfect 1 or 2 question types on LR this week, you will be able to do it. It just takes doing LG/Question types over and over again. And then again once more.

But, I have no idea what I am talking about. I'm taking the test just like you and am no expert tbh


I'm sorry i should have been more clear, i was at a 136, and i jumped to a 144 after focusing on LR. I am currently testing around 143-44. So i still have yet to break 150. Last years statistics of UNLV say that the 25th percentile was a 154...so i am a little worried.



I think your advise on RC is sound, i usually rush and don't get to the 4th section, so i should probably just slow down and get more correct answers, thanks. As for your advice on LG i agree, it just its so hit or miss with me on the games...currently i get about 10 right...so meaning i miss 12-15 every time, i get about half the answers on each game can't ever finish a game fully i always miss key deductions. Thanks for the advice guys
.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests