The Official September 2014 Study Group

ErgoSum

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby ErgoSum » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:18 am

Here is my schedule leading up to the exam if anyone wishes to compare/tell me I'm a cruel, evil, brilliant, savant idiot genius.

9/17 (Tomorrow): PT68 and review
9/18: Drill LR/LG/1 or 2 RC
9/19: PT 69 and review
9/20: PT 70 and review
9/21: Drill
9/22: Drill
9/23: PT 71 and review
9/24: Drill
9/25: PT72 as close to test taking conditions as possible, fully clothed, in a classroom, with a proctor and lucky stones. Review
9/26: Light drilling maybe, focusing energy towards not having anxiety driven explosive diarrhoea, go to the gym, go to the beach and surf.
9/27: Get a 180

I booked a hotel room .12 miles from where the test is being given since it's a 40 minute drive from where I am now, so I'll be there Friday afternoon

I'm open to taking PT70 on the sunday (9/21) or moving 71 and 72 to tuesday and wednesday, but I feel like if I don't have something like a PT to do on the thursday I'll drive myself insane thinking I may not be doing enough.

ErgoSum

Postby ErgoSum » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:34 am

Jgoods wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
aliraza580 wrote:So I took a course that started Mid-July for LSAT prep, and i had signed up for the September LSAT, which is in two weeks, im barely breaking mid 140s, my last diag was a 144. Things click slowly for me and i just made an 8 point jump within the last couple weeks, so i was wondering if you guys think its a bad idea to take this LSAT in two weeks, should i just push it back to December and really focus more on it? Or go hard these next couple weeks and see where i am? i want to at least hit mid 150s. My most trouble comes with the games and LR, although i've steadily been improving with my LR the games still give me trouble--Any advice would be helpful.

My other concern with taking a december LSAT is it would be very late, as i'm wanting to apply to UNLV and they do rolling admissions...thoughts?

UNLV's medians haven't been released, but the school's upper 75% median for LSAT scores should be between 156-159 according ot the rankings. 8 point jump from 144 means 152, right? Assuming you're PTing around 152 currently, you have about two weeks to improve that to 160 if you want an almost-guaranteed shot at admissions.

Yes, you want to be scoring at or above their median if you're putting a lot of eggs into that basket, so aim for 155+. Whether you can reach that score in 2 weeks is entirely up to you. All I can say is it's very possible to improve to 155 in 2 weeks, but your case might be unique.

Did not really expect to see that^ lol but I do agree, if you were reaching a little higher I'd say think about waiting however getting to around 155 is doable... I mean I have to believe that since I'm shooting for a similar jump (or more) with mine.

I think if you focused on getting near perfect on LG, everything would come together for you and you could be around 155 at least. LG is one of the easier sections to master, and if you get to consistently getting less than 3 wrong, you'll see an improvement in your overall score. That is said, however, without knowing how you are already scoring in that section.

Also, if RC is messing you up, I would just focus on finishing 2 or maybe 3 of the passages with the majority of the answers correct instead of rushing and trying to complete all 4, and still getting a ton wrong.

Ultimately it's up to you, but if you go hardcore Liu Kang mode on LG and perfect 1 or 2 question types on LR this week, you will be able to do it. It just takes doing LG/Question types over and over again. And then again once more.

But, I have no idea what I am talking about. I'm taking the test just like you and am no expert tbh

chimera

Postby chimera » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:35 am

ErgoSum wrote:Here is my schedule leading up to the exam if anyone wishes to compare/tell me I'm a cruel, evil, brilliant, savant idiot genius.

9/17 (Tomorrow): PT68 and review
9/18: Drill LR/LG/1 or 2 RC
9/19: PT 69 and review
9/20: PT 70 and review
9/23: PT 71 and review
9/24: Drill
9/25: PT72 as close to test taking conditions as possible, fully clothed, in a classroom, with a proctor and lucky stones. Review
9/26: Light drilling maybe, focusing energy towards not having anxiety driven explosive diarrhoea, go to the gym, go to the beach and surf.
9/27: Get a 180

I booked a hotel room .12 miles from where the test is being given since it's a 40 minute drive from where I am now, so I'll be there Friday afternoon

I'm open to taking PT70 on the sunday (9/21) or moving 71 and 72 to tuesday and wednesday, but I feel like if I don't have something like a PT to do on the thursday I'll drive myself insane thinking I may not be doing enough.

I like your schedule... Mine is pretty similar:
Drilling a bunch of stuff today
9/17: PT71 + Review
9/18: Drill
9/19: 72 + Review
9/20: Drill (Also testing the drive to my test center)
9/22: 68 + Review
9/23: Drill
9/24: 69 + Review
9/25: Retake 71 or 72 + Review
9/26: Light Drill, relax, getting a massage, go for a bike ride, align my chakras
9/27: ayyy lmao

For drilling I'm going through all the miscellaneous games, random RC sections, and random LR sections. Getting a hotel room seems 180, I might look into this.

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:41 am

chimera wrote:9/27: ayyy lmao

hahahaha amazing.
ErgoSum wrote:focusing energy towards not having anxiety driven explosive diarrhoea

dying.

ErgoSum

Postby ErgoSum » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:46 am

chimera wrote:
ErgoSum wrote:Getting a hotel room seems 180, I might look into this.

Yea the hotel took a lot of anxiety off of my shoulders. I don't have to worry about traffic, flat tires, road kill, meteorites hitting my car, etc. I don't even have to worry about parking if I don't want to drive as I could just walk over (which helps me wake up and get thinking). If you can, I would do it. It's 50-80 dollars, but we haven't been going out or doing anything except for studying, so it's a nice little treat.

BJS

Postby BJS » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:55 am

How far is the test center from you guys? Mine is an hour and a half away, but only twenty minutes from my parent's house so I'm staying there Thursday and Friday.

By the way, thoughts on this dress? http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/pr ... id=1014759

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:02 am

Would give u n opinion but last time u pretty much put me on blast 4 being a dumbass

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:04 am

BillPackets wrote:Would give u n opinion but last time u pretty much put me on blast 4 being a dumbass

Sometimes your lack of punctuation gives people the wrong impression.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:25 am

smccgrey wrote:
BillPackets wrote:Would give u n opinion but last time u pretty much put me on blast 4 being a dumbass

well im going 4 a james joyce last 50 pages of ulysses thing here with the no punctuation it may seem lazy or confusing but im really trying to convey a certain message here

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:41 am

ErgoSum wrote:
Jgoods wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
aliraza580 wrote:So I took a course that started Mid-July for LSAT prep, and i had signed up for the September LSAT, which is in two weeks, im barely breaking mid 140s, my last diag was a 144. Things click slowly for me and i just made an 8 point jump within the last couple weeks, so i was wondering if you guys think its a bad idea to take this LSAT in two weeks, should i just push it back to December and really focus more on it? Or go hard these next couple weeks and see where i am? i want to at least hit mid 150s. My most trouble comes with the games and LR, although i've steadily been improving with my LR the games still give me trouble--Any advice would be helpful.

My other concern with taking a december LSAT is it would be very late, as i'm wanting to apply to UNLV and they do rolling admissions...thoughts?

UNLV's medians haven't been released, but the school's upper 75% median for LSAT scores should be between 156-159 according ot the rankings. 8 point jump from 144 means 152, right? Assuming you're PTing around 152 currently, you have about two weeks to improve that to 160 if you want an almost-guaranteed shot at admissions.

Yes, you want to be scoring at or above their median if you're putting a lot of eggs into that basket, so aim for 155+. Whether you can reach that score in 2 weeks is entirely up to you. All I can say is it's very possible to improve to 155 in 2 weeks, but your case might be unique.

Did not really expect to see that^ lol but I do agree, if you were reaching a little higher I'd say think about waiting however getting to around 155 is doable... I mean I have to believe that since I'm shooting for a similar jump (or more) with mine.

I think if you focused on getting near perfect on LG, everything would come together for you and you could be around 155 at least. LG is one of the easier sections to master, and if you get to consistently getting less than 3 wrong, you'll see an improvement in your overall score. That is said, however, without knowing how you are already scoring in that section.

Also, if RC is messing you up, I would just focus on finishing 2 or maybe 3 of the passages with the majority of the answers correct instead of rushing and trying to complete all 4, and still getting a ton wrong.

Ultimately it's up to you, but if you go hardcore Liu Kang mode on LG and perfect 1 or 2 question types on LR this week, you will be able to do it. It just takes doing LG/Question types over and over again. And then again once more.

But, I have no idea what I am talking about. I'm taking the test just like you and am no expert tbh

Makes sense, lately I've been getting -3/4 on LG, mainly from simple mistakes, I def agree it's one of the easier to master, there's like one type of game that messes with me that I need to work on but yeah as for RC I've been trying to do that but I subconsciously start rushing as it gets further along.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:43 am

smccgrey wrote:
ErgoSum wrote:focusing energy towards not having anxiety driven explosive diarrhoea

dying.

The reason this happens, if anybody is curious, is an adrenal response, namely the release of norepinepherine and epinephrine, that is triggered by extreme duress. This causes us to [want to] relieve ourselves of unnecessary waste. This is why people pee their pants/shit their pants/feel like they need to shit when they are in a high-stress environment.

No joke, it's a good idea to empty your bowels before a potentially stressful encounter.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:52 am

BJS wrote:How far is the test center from you guys? Mine is an hour and a half away, but only twenty minutes from my parent's house so I'm staying there Thursday and Friday.

By the way, thoughts on this dress? http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/pr ... id=1014759

I love this. I would wear it. Roland Mouret is a genius. Fabric content looks good. Should be flattering for her, unless she has large breasts, in which case it might make her look too buxom.

BillPackets wrote:well im going 4 a james joyce last 50 pages of ulysses thing here with the no punctuation it may seem lazy or confusing but im really trying to convey a certain message here

Hahahahahahaha.

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:55 am

BillPackets wrote:
smccgrey wrote:

well im going 4 a james joyce last 50 pages of ulysses thing here with the no punctuation it may seem lazy or confusing but im really trying to convey a certain message here

:D

tell 'm bill

BJS

Postby BJS » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:59 am

sfoglia wrote:I love this. I would wear it. Roland Mouret is a genius. Fabric content looks good. Should be flattering for her, unless she has large breasts, in which case it might make her look too buxom.

Excellent. She's the opposite - smaller chest and big butt - but I'm still learning what's best for body type. I also now have two $40 off $100 coupons to BR I can't use until Oct so I am going to be emptying my wallet around that time.

TX_UH

Postby TX_UH » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:01 am

I am going to continue with doing what I've done for the last couple of weeks to establish a rhythm going into 9/27 so it seems more like a PT than the test day that will define the next 4 years/rest of career/life (probably not helping). Anyhoo...this is the plan:

9/16: PT 68 + Review
9/17: Drill RC/LG
9/18: PT 69 + Review
9/19: Drill RC/LR
9/20: PT 70 + Review, Football game
9/21: Drill RC
9/23: PT 71 + Review
9/24: Review most challenging games/passages/LR questions
9/25: PT 72 + Review
9/26: Light Drilling, Check out/contribute to the epic day-before build-up of this thread
9/27: Last minute check of TLS to wish good luck, No shoes/no shirt/180 test, join waiters thread, go out for first time all month and rageface
9/28: Be so hungover that anxiety over waiting for score is impossible (take the edge off)

ErgoSum

Postby ErgoSum » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:02 am

Jgoods wrote:
Makes sense, lately I've been getting -3/4 on LG, mainly from simple mistakes, I def agree it's one of the easier to master, there's like one type of game that messes with me that I need to work on but yeah as for RC I've been trying to do that but I subconsciously start rushing as it gets further along.

-3/-4 is pretty good! If you can make it -1/-2 and then just practice breathing during the RC and drilling LR I really think you'll be in good shape. For LR, just make sure you understand why you got it wrong if you did. Write out explanations next to the question if you have to. It really helps. I get tons of LR questions by type, pick a type, read the chapter/chapters on strategies or whatever for that specific type, and then do like 50 or 60 of them. I try to do them all in one go, but if you need breaks no sweat, just try to do like 20 at a time, so at least you are getting your brain used to that many at a time. After like 30 you start to get into a flow and might be able to start recognising patterns/trends and things will jump out at you. And try to just breathe

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:04 am

For all those seeking motivation, I just got an email from Florida Coastal noting that with my current 171 LSAT I could be "potentially receiving a scholarship" from their fine, fine institution. Great things await those who do well on this thing, so, as Tim Gunn might put it, make it work people.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:04 am

hereisonehand wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
smccgrey wrote:

tell 'm bill

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:09 am

BJS wrote:How far is the test center from you guys? Mine is an hour and a half away, but only twenty minutes from my parent's house so I'm staying there Thursday and Friday.

Same. An hour from me but 5 minutes from my parents so I'm movin back in for a day

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:10 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

Same. An hour from me but 5 minutes from my parents so I'm movin back in for a day

Anywhere from 15 mins to an hour depending on traffic

eta: gotta love this city

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:21 am

hereisonehand wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

Anywhere from 15 mins to an hour depending on traffic

eta: gotta love this city

God I just love traffic congestion

vracovino

Postby vracovino » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:23 am

My center is at my college, a three minute drive from my apartment complex.

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:25 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:God I just love traffic congestion

I know right, nothing like not moving on a freeway for extended periods of time while breathing in exhaust fumes to get your day started

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:27 am

first time I took it the test center was a 5 min walk from my dorm... now I have to taken an airplane to get within a few dozen miles of the test center

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:28 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:first time I took it the test center was a 5 min walk from my dorm... now I have to taken an airplane to get within a few dozen miles of the test center

ok you win

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”