The Official September 2014 Study Group

sfoglia

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby sfoglia » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:58 pm

smccgrey wrote:Olivia Munn's rack is really mesmerizing. Are those real??

I knowwww. I've been staring at them for too long. I think they are.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:11 am

So I'm back and just skimmed the last 12 pages or so and just curious... those of you who just took 68, how'd you guys do? I just finished mine a little bit ago.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:23 am

sfoglia wrote:

I just googled n agree

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:33 am

Jgoods wrote:So I'm back and just skimmed the last 12 pages or so and just curious... those of you who just took 68, how'd you guys do? I just finished mine a little bit ago.

What did you think? I took it today. I found the RC a bit more challenging than usual, and I barely finished LG in time, even though the games were pretty straight forward. I think I missed an inference on the last game, because it took me so much longer than it should have.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:39 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
sfoglia wrote:

I just googled n agree

She is so gorgeous. What is it with Olivia's always being beautiful? Olivia Wilde, Olivia Dunham.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:44 am

sfoglia wrote:
Jgoods wrote:So I'm back and just skimmed the last 12 pages or so and just curious... those of you who just took 68, how'd you guys do? I just finished mine a little bit ago.

What did you think? I took it today. I found the RC a bit more challenging than usual, and I barely finished LG in time, even though the games were pretty straight forward. I think I missed an inference on the last game, because it took me so much longer than it should have.

Ya the RC wasn't the most fun and what I'm trying to work on the most now, I didn't really mind the LG, got -3 though haven't looked over it yet so idk what went wrong with the 3, then I kinda screwed myself with the first LR section, had to pass so bad half way through it lol

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:35 am

I'm having a lot of trouble breaking 175, mostly because I almost always always always go -4 on a section, while going -0 to -3 on the others. I'm stuck between 170-173, dipping to 168 once. I've got less than 3 weeks till Oct 5th how do I get those few questions right?

I'm like 1/2 carelessness and 1/2 legitimately believe I had the right answer.

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:09 am

Yep, just settling in to that familiar old feeling of "oh shit, I'm fucked" before an exam.

aliraza580

Postby aliraza580 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:21 am

So I took a course that started Mid-July for LSAT prep, and i had signed up for the September LSAT, which is in two weeks, im barely breaking mid 140s, my last diag was a 144. Things click slowly for me and i just made an 8 point jump within the last couple weeks, so i was wondering if you guys think its a bad idea to take this LSAT in two weeks, should i just push it back to December and really focus more on it? Or go hard these next couple weeks and see where i am? i want to at least hit mid 150s. My most trouble comes with the games and LR, although i've steadily been improving with my LR the games still give me trouble--Any advice would be helpful.

My other concern with taking a december LSAT is it would be very late, as i'm wanting to apply to UNLV and they do rolling admissions...thoughts?

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:35 am

aliraza580 wrote:So I took a course that started Mid-July for LSAT prep, and i had signed up for the September LSAT, which is in two weeks, im barely breaking mid 140s, my last diag was a 144. Things click slowly for me and i just made an 8 point jump within the last couple weeks, so i was wondering if you guys think its a bad idea to take this LSAT in two weeks, should i just push it back to December and really focus more on it? Or go hard these next couple weeks and see where i am? i want to at least hit mid 150s. My most trouble comes with the games and LR, although i've steadily been improving with my LR the games still give me trouble--Any advice would be helpful.

My other concern with taking a december LSAT is it would be very late, as i'm wanting to apply to UNLV and they do rolling admissions...thoughts?

UNLV's medians haven't been released, but the school's upper 75% median for LSAT scores should be between 156-159 according ot the rankings. 8 point jump from 144 means 152, right? Assuming you're PTing around 152 currently, you have about two weeks to improve that to 160 if you want an almost-guaranteed shot at admissions.

Yes, you want to be scoring at or above their median if you're putting a lot of eggs into that basket, so aim for 155+. Whether you can reach that score in 2 weeks is entirely up to you. All I can say is it's very possible to improve to 155 in 2 weeks, but your case might be unique.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:23 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:
aliraza580 wrote:So I took a course that started Mid-July for LSAT prep, and i had signed up for the September LSAT, which is in two weeks, im barely breaking mid 140s, my last diag was a 144. Things click slowly for me and i just made an 8 point jump within the last couple weeks, so i was wondering if you guys think its a bad idea to take this LSAT in two weeks, should i just push it back to December and really focus more on it? Or go hard these next couple weeks and see where i am? i want to at least hit mid 150s. My most trouble comes with the games and LR, although i've steadily been improving with my LR the games still give me trouble--Any advice would be helpful.

UNLV's medians haven't been released, but the school's upper 75% median for LSAT scores should be between 156-159 according ot the rankings. 8 point jump from 144 means 152, right? Assuming you're PTing around 152 currently, you have about two weeks to improve that to 160 if you want an almost-guaranteed shot at admissions.

Yes, you want to be scoring at or above their median if you're putting a lot of eggs into that basket, so aim for 155+. Whether you can reach that score in 2 weeks is entirely up to you. All I can say is it's very possible to improve to 155 in 2 weeks, but your case might be unique.

Did not really expect to see that^ lol but I do agree, if you were reaching a little higher I'd say think about waiting however getting to around 155 is doable... I mean I have to believe that since I'm shooting for a similar jump (or more) with mine.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:31 am

I mean, somebody's gonna say it's not worth it to go to law schools that have low employment numbers, but hey, people should be able to do what they want to do as long as they're informed.

BJS

Postby BJS » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:38 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:I'm having a lot of trouble breaking 175, mostly because I almost always always always go -4 on a section, while going -0 to -3 on the others. I'm stuck between 170-173, dipping to 168 once. I've got less than 3 weeks till Oct 5th how do I get those few questions right?

Head's up: the LSAT is September 27th (less than two weeks).

RE: the above posters - a 155 should never be your target score. It's a very low score that handicaps your admissions process wherever you're applying.

A general rule is to be at or above the median of any school you apply to (maybe excepting T14) to ensure admission and good scholarships. A hypothetical school whose median is 155 won't give a 155 scorer enough scholarship money to make it worthwhile. Why? Because that school has horrible employment statistics and you need a minimal COA to reduce your risk when you become a low-paid attorney or an unemployed graduate. A hypothetical school whose median is 152 will give a 155 scorer a good scholarship, but should never be attended ever. Why? Because that school has horrible, horrible employment statistics and you won't become a lawyer.

Don't take the LSAT until your average PT is at least a 160.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:40 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:I'm having a lot of trouble breaking 175, mostly because I almost always always always go -4 on a section, while going -0 to -3 on the others. I'm stuck between 170-173, dipping to 168 once. I've got less than 3 weeks till Oct 5th how do I get those few questions right?

I have no idea, but wanted to say that I empathize. I've been drilling my areas of weakness, and that seems to be helping me. What are you doing on your off days, when you don't PT?

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:52 am

BJS wrote:

Head's up: the LSAT is September 27th (less than two weeks).

RE: the above posters - a 155 should never be your target score. It's a very low score that handicaps your admissions process wherever you're applying.

A general rule is to be at or above the median of any school you apply to (maybe excepting T14) to ensure admission and good scholarships. A hypothetical school whose median is 155 won't give a 155 scorer enough scholarship money to make it worthwhile. Why? Because that school has horrible employment statistics and you need a minimal COA to reduce your risk when you become a low-paid attorney or an unemployed graduate. A hypothetical school whose median is 152 will give a 155 scorer a good scholarship, but should never be attended ever. Why? Because that school has horrible, horrible employment statistics and you won't become a lawyer.

Don't take the LSAT until your average PT is at least a 160.

I'm taking it Oct 5th, am in Asia.

BJS

Postby BJS » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:54 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:I'm taking it Oct 5th, am in Asia.

Ah good call. I read that and was like uhhhhh.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:57 am

I mean FWIW I've only been studying for 3 weeks, so I'm a bit past half-way. I didn't think it would be that difficult since I got a 170 before. My first PT three weeks ago a 168, and this past week I have 1 168, 1 170, 3 172's, 2 173's. I'm taking 1 PT a day, so I don't have "off days". I'm not seeing an upward trend as rapid as I had initially expected. Luckily I still have a lot of material unused, so I can go hardcore cram mode, which seems to be a necessity now.

No need to worry about burning out though, I've only been studying for 3 weeks.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:05 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:I mean FWIW I've only been studying for 3 weeks, so I'm a bit past half-way. I didn't think it would be that difficult since I got a 170 before. My first PT three weeks ago a 168, and this past week I have 1 168, 1 170, 3 172's, 2 173's. I'm taking 1 PT a day, so I don't have "off days". I'm not seeing an upward trend as rapid as I had initially expected. Luckily I still have a lot of material unused, so I can go hardcore cram mode, which seems to be a necessity now.

How intensely do you review

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:06 am

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:11 am

sfoglia wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
sfoglia wrote:

I just googled n agree

She is so gorgeous. What is it with Olivia's always being beautiful? Olivia Wilde, Olivia Dunham.

Here is urban dictionary's take on it

Also I cropped out my phone battery so movie wouldn't freak out at my 6%

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:18 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:

I'm taking it Oct 5th, am in Asia.

Sup w Asia pnj

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:20 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:I mean FWIW I've only been studying for 3 weeks, so I'm a bit past half-way. I didn't think it would be that difficult since I got a 170 before. My first PT three weeks ago a 168, and this past week I have 1 168, 1 170, 3 172's, 2 173's. I'm taking 1 PT a day, so I don't have "off days". I'm not seeing an upward trend as rapid as I had initially expected. Luckily I still have a lot of material unused, so I can go hardcore cram mode, which seems to be a necessity now.

My system:

LG - No review, any mistake I made was carelessness.

LR - If I am not happy/uncomfortable while answering but I think I got the right answer, I put a star next to it. If I'm unsure, 2 stars. I review any question I got wrong, as well as any I've starred, regardless of whether I got them right or wrong. I go and prove why every wrong answer choice is wrong (sometimes I can't do this, and I leave the review feeling unsatisfied and unhappy, as one does after a drunken one-nighter). 2 stars warrants a visit to Manhattan LSAT.

RC - Same system as LR, but any passages where reading gave me difficulty (even if I got all the questions right), I go through and read again until I get every nuance of the passage.

RC is giving me issues in the "prove the wrong answers" department. I've been making mistakes due to prephrasing in LR, so I have to be more careful there. Timing is never an issue I have at least 3 mins left, but I don't use that time productively. I just get nervous as hell if I don't have a lot of time left over, so sometimes I rush. Don't ever make me take free throws in the 4th quarter because I'll choke more than an amateur hooker.

BJS

Postby BJS » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:24 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:(sometimes I can't do this, and I leave the review feeling unsatisfied and unhappy, as one does after a drunken one-nighter)

PeanutsNJam wrote:Don't ever make me take free throws in the 4th quarter because I'll choke more than an amateur hooker.

Nailed it.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:04 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:
My system:

LG - No review, any mistake I made was carelessness.

LR - If I am not happy/uncomfortable while answering but I think I got the right answer, I put a star next to it. If I'm unsure, 2 stars. I review any question I got wrong, as well as any I've starred, regardless of whether I got them right or wrong. I go and prove why every wrong answer choice is wrong (sometimes I can't do this, and I leave the review feeling unsatisfied and unhappy, as one does after a drunken one-nighter). 2 stars warrants a visit to Manhattan LSAT.

RC - Same system as LR, but any passages where reading gave me difficulty (even if I got all the questions right), I go through and read again until I get every nuance of the passage.

RC is giving me issues in the "prove the wrong answers" department. I've been making mistakes due to prephrasing in LR, so I have to be more careful there. Timing is never an issue I have at least 3 mins left, but I don't use that time productively. I just get nervous as hell if I don't have a lot of time left over, so sometimes I rush. Don't ever make me take free throws in the 4th quarter because I'll choke more than an amateur hooker.

Hey pnj idk if this is helpful but like 90% of the time the wrong ACs in RC will look attractive bc they'll combine things you read in the passage but they'll combine them in an incorrect manner but obvs they look good bc they say things you've read n use the same vocab/jargon n shit IMHO being able to spot wrong answer choices is pretty much a necessity in RC

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:06 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

Yeah, I feel like PTing every day is worthless unless you have timing and/or mental fatigue issues.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”